Selveni initially joined Bashnag's circle of mages to study necromancy in peace, but could not stop thinking about her daughter, Savela, who had been sent to Honorhall Orphanage after Selveni was accused of practicing illegal necromancy. Eventually, Selveni snuck away from the Sanctum and made her way to Riften, hoping to find and steal away Savela. However, the girl had already left the orphanage and was nowhere to be found.
Not knowing what else she could do, Selveni returned to the Southfringe Sanctum, hoping that nobody noticed she had left. Bashnag, however, did take notice of her absence, and upon her return, accused her of trying to sell him out to the Thalmor. Afterwords, he cursed her ability to cast spells and chased her off into the depths of the sanctum, where she seemingly got caught in a web of one of the Frostbite Spiders that inhabit the cave.
Selveni first asks to be cut down from the webs that hold her, and then requests further assistance so that she can escape the cave. After Bashnag and his circle of mages have been defeated, Selveni is told it is possible to escape through the cave's exit. She will thank the Dragonborn for their help and decides to once again continue the search for her daughter.
- There is more than one path that leads to Selveni. The path to the left into the cave will require fighting several Frostbite spiders, and one Giant Frostbite Spider, before getting to her.
- The Dragonborn can also choose to be cruel to Selveni and lie to her, saying that the cave is clear. Selveni will then try to make her escape, but may be killed by either the Spellswords or Frostbite Spiders, robbing her of her only chance to reunite with her daughter.
This section contains bugs related to Selveni Nethri. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
She will not follow once all the enemies in the cave are dead and she has been freed. If one keeps running into her, she will eventually take off running. However, she may still not follow the Dragonborn out of the cave. When this happens, the quest cannot be completed.
- If she does not move even after talking to her, simply wait one hour.
- If Selveni is stuck, use Vampiric Grip (if the Dragonborn is a Vampire Lord) or the completed Unrelenting Force shout to throw her out of the cave (the full Unrelenting Force shout is required for this). Alternately, one can use Clear Skies to stagger her. A weak ranged attack, such as Flames or a low damaged arrow, will cause her to turn hostile and attack, which may help fix this bug.
- Even if Unrelenting Force got her out of the cave, one may not be able to command another follower. Instead, it will be as if she is still following. confirmation needed
prid 6F120, then
moveto player. She should then proceed to leave the cave on her own, completing the objective. Using
pushactoraway 6F120 100can also be used if she is stuck at the entrance. This can also be easily fixed by heading to the entrance of the cave (leaving Selveni behind) and then entering the following the console commands:
- If one waits for Selveni to finish speaking after being told it is safe to leave, instead of exiting the conversation, she will leave the cave on her own. However, this only seems to work on games started after the recent patches. One can also try leaving the cave and then re-entering; she should make an attempt to leave on her own.
- If she and the Dragonborn have both left the cave, re-entering the cave can complete the quest.
- Even after escaping, the objective to help her will remain in the quest journal, rendering the quest unable to be properly completed.