|Location||Northeast of Whiterun|
Shimmermist cave is a simple linear cave system consisting of three main rooms. It is part of a larger cave system, like many other Falmer caves. In parts of the cave, the ceiling is covered with blue and white glowing deposits.
The first area has a rock bridge over a pool of water with a small waterfall. A ramp leads down into the water, but there is nothing of interest there. A leveled creature prowls the area, such as a skeever or frostbite spider. Further down the tunnel is a larger chamber with a sole Falmer as a lookout on the second level. There is a trip wire to a claw trap at the entrance to deal with.
Below is a small alcove with dead bandits. To the left is a chest and tent on the way up to the upper level where the Falmer is. There is a rock with Falmer weapons, helmets and chaurus eggs on the northern edge of the upper level. The final chamber is a Dwarven room, and has another Falmer and, depending on level, one Dwarven Centurion in stasis. There is a chest just to the left of the tunnel to Shimmermist Grotto.
- Possible location in the Family Heirloom quest.
- Possible location of the Companions quests Rescue Mission and Trouble in Skyrim.
- Falmer blood for Discerning the Transmundane.
- Most of this cave system can be bypassed by using Whirlwind Sprint in the first chamber with the waterfall to go directly to the last room in Shimmermist Grotto.
- There are large amounts of alchemical ingredients to be collected here, mostly Glowing Mushrooms.
This section contains bugs related to Shimmermist Cave. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The Falmer and Dwarven Centurion in the Shimmermist Grotto and all the Falmers, Chaurus and loot will respawn, but the mushrooms may not.