| Base Value:|
Fortify Skill: Security 40 pts
The Skeleton Key is a reusable lockpick which also improves the user's Security skill by 40. The enchantment is constant as long the Skeleton Key is in the user's inventory. This artifact virtually eliminates the need to raise the Security skill, as the user can simply auto-attempt until the lock is picked, although skill-ups are still possible with the key.
The Skeleton Key is rewarded to the Hero of Kvatch after completing Nocturnal's quest, received from speaking to her at the Shrine of Nocturnal. The Hero must be at least level 10 to activate this quest.
- Though the Skeleton Key is unbreakable, it's wise to keep a few lockpicks on hand in case the player is arrested. The Key is not counted as a lockpick and will be removed if the player is put in jail.
- See "Discussion" page for the advantages of dropping/picking up the Key for leveling prior to level 60. Also detail on leveling with the Key beyond level 60.
- The Security bonus increases the Security score on the Skills page, but does not turn it a green color (unlike typical fortify effects). While in possession of the artifact, the game treats the player's Security skill as if it was 40 points higher than its actual base value (so, a player with 35 Security who carries the Key will be considered level 75, and an Expert), instead of considering it a standard enchantment. This affects a range of mechanics, notably the experience required to level.
- Although the skeleton key does not behave like a typical Fortify Skill effect, having the key in one's possession does allow access to all "Fortify Skill" options while using an Altar of Spellmaking.
- If the duplication glitch is used with the Skeleton Key, the duplicates do not work; if the player has a duplicated Skeleton Key, and no other lockpicks or the original Key, the game will say they have no lockpicks.
- Blood of the Daedra quest, the character may still have the +40 bonus to Security. : It has been reported that if the player gives the Skeleton Key to Martin to complete the
- The player will no longer be allowed to level their Security while using the Skeleton Key once their natural Security level reaches 60 (100 with the Key). Whether or not this is intentional is unknown. Dropping the key or putting it into a chest (removing it from the inventory) will allow Security to level normally.