|Skeleton Key (Oblivion)|
| Base Value:|
Fortify Skill: Security 40 pts
The Skeleton Key is an unbreakable lockpick which also improves the players Security skill by 40. It virtually eliminates the need to raise the Security skill, as the player can simply auto-attempt until the lock is picked, although skillups are still possible with the key. The Skeleton Key is also useful because it eliminates the need to have Security as a main skill, thus freeing up a space for a more important one.
Note that the enchantment only works when the Skeleton Key is in your inventory.
The Skeleton Key the reward for completing Nocturnal's quest, received from speaking to her at the Shrine of Nocturnal. Note that the player has to be at least level 10 to activate this quest.
Notes and Tips
- Though unbreakable, its wise to keep a few lock-picks on hand in case arrested. As the Skeleton key is not counted as a lockpick and will be removed when put in jail.
- See "Discussion" page for the advantages of dropping/picking up the Key for levelling prior to level 60. Also detail on levelling with the Key beyond level 60.
- The security bonus increases the Security score on your Skills page, but does not turn it a green color (unlike typical fortify effects).
- Although the skeleton key does not behave like a typical Fortify Skill effect, having the key in your possession does allow access to all "Fortify Skill" options while using spellmaking altars.
- The game uses your level with the +40 from the key for the purposes of your rank (For example, at 35 with the +40, you are at 75, and an Expert)
- If you were to use the duplication glitch with the Skeleton Key, the duplicates do not work; if a duplicated Skeleton Key is in your inventory, and no other lockpick or the original Key is with you, it will say you have no lockpicks.
- Blood of the Daedra quest, your character may still have the +40 bonus to Security. : It has been reported that if you give Martin the Skeleton Key to complete the
- There is a bug where you will no longer be allowed to level up in security while using the Skeleton Key once your Security level reaches 60 (100 with the key). Whether this is intentionally done is not known. Actually, it may stop at 65 considering that you can gain up to a level 105, however, dropping the key or putting it into a chest (removing it from your inventory) will allow you to continue leveling your security skill.