There is a chance that instead of getting the option to give him a coin, he will start ranting about how his wife and daughter were killed by brigands and that the same brigands burned down his house, putting him in the situation he currently is.
He also says that Edda is lucky, as she is insane and can't see the true face of reality. Sometimes, he will walk into the The Bee and Barb and start yelling at people about the hardships of his life, only to leave again. He sleeps in Beggar's Row at night.
Snilf is also one of the two beggars in Riften (the other being Edda) that can be used to charge the Ebony Blade obtained from the The Whispering Door quest. By using the Ritual Stone to revive both of them, they can be killed again for an additional kill towards the charging of the Ebony Blade. If given a gold coin, Snilf will leave a Letter of Inheritance upon death.
- "Sure, sure. I'm a dirty beggar, why would you even want to speak to me?"
- "Divines bless you. May the ground you walk quake as you pass." ―If given gold.
- "You think you know pain? Do you!? Try watching your wife and daughter burn alive after they've been ravaged by brigands! That's pain, my friend."
- "Edda... she's crazy as a loon, but at least she doesn't have the mind to realize what a horrible world this is. She's the lucky one."
- "Just leave Riften. Go far, far away and never return. This place is nothing but a rotten, stinking corpse that's sat in the sun far too long."
- Even if he is paid a coin, he will continue to make derogatory remarks when the Dragonborn initiates conversation.