|Souls, Black and White|
|Title: Souls, Black and White|
|Full Title: Souls, Black and White|
- Second level of Fort Cuptor; also appears in loot.
- Echo Cave in a chest where you defeated Mannimarco in the Mages Guild quest Confront the King.
- Can be bought from Urag gro-Shub in the Arcanaeum. (Does not count for Fetch me that Book!)
- In the College of Winterhold in the Hall of Attainment. Second floor, in the room to the right of the stairs if you are facing the stairs.
- Found in Movarth's Lair by the bed.
- In the Wreck of the Brinehammer
- Stony Creek Cave
- Enthir's room in the College of Winterhold, on a bookshelf.
- On rare occasion, can be found in Valtheim Towers, under the bed by the Bandit Chief.
Souls, Black and White
The nature of the soul is not knowable. Every wizard that has attempted it vanishes without a trace. What can be known is that souls are a source of mystic energy that can be harvested.
Every creature, living or dead, is powered by a soul. Without it, they are just lumps of flesh or piles of bones. This animating force can be contained within a soul gem, if the soul gem has the capacity. From the gem, the power can be used to power magical items.
Centuries of experimentation has demonstrated that there are black souls and white souls. Only the rare black soul gem can hold the soul of a higher creature, such as a man or an elf. While the souls of lesser creatures can be captured by gems of many colors, they are all categorized as white soul gems. Hence the division of souls into black and white.
White souls are far safer than black souls, although not as powerful. Beginning students of Mysticism should not dabble in black souls or black soul gems. Even if one were to ignore the guild strictures against the necromatic arts used to power black soul gems, it is dangerous to the caster to handle them for long. If the gem is not precisely the size of the encased soul, small bits of the caster's soul may leak into the gem when it is touched.
This book will get stuck in inventory if you find it in a chest before receiving the quest. This book is one of the many items that will be flagged as a quest item and remain in your inventory, leaving the quest flagged and uncompletable
player.drop 0001ad0c 1. This will drop the item, so pick it up again to finish th equest. Solution: Use the console command
- Solution: Use the console command