While blocking, creates a ward that protects against spells for up to 50 points
|Class: Heavy Armor, Shield|
|Upgrade Material: Dwarven Metal Ingot|
During the First Era, King Rourken led the Rourken Clan  away from their Dwemer brothers, because the rest of the Dwemer had allied themselves with the Chimer and formed the First Council.  After throwing his ceremonial hammer known as Volendrung, which is also a Dwemer artifact and a Daedric artifact which landed in modern-day Hammerfell, he and his clan marched to what would be their new home. Along the way, they encountered Shalidor, and a battle ensued, which would come to be known as the Battle of Rourken-Shalidor. During this battle, King Rourken used Spellbreaker against Shalidor. 
This means the shield cannot be improved past flawless quality without boosting the Smithing skill over 100. This can be achieved by using enchanted items and/or blacksmithing potions to Fortify Smithing.
Blocking with this shield grants the following bonus:
The effect refreshes itself every second that the user is blocking, though it takes a small amount of time to get the ward to charge up (about a second). The ward remains active a few seconds after blocking is ceased.
As Spellbreaker is a unique shield, it cannot be disenchanted to learn its effect.
The Spellbreaker Ward effect is extremely useful in fighting dragons as it blocks all breath attacks. The ward also protects against any other types of shouts that draugr may use. Wielding Dragonbane and Spellbreaker is one of the best ways to fight dragons due to the extra damage to dragons and ability to block their breath attacks.
As a ward
Combined with the Elemental Protection perk the shield renders most enemy-casted Destruction magic useless, as the perk halves the incoming damage, and the ward typically takes care of the rest. The shield seems more effective against spells that "spray", such as Sparks and Flames. When the ward is broken, the shield drops, meaning the shield cannot be used to block physical blows. Spellbreaker benefits from the Restoration perk, "Ward Absorb".
- The ward generated by Spellbreaker provides more Magic Resistance than a Lesser Ward and less Magic Resistance than a Steadfast Ward, but unlike these wards, it does not increase Armor Rating.
- Though it functions like a shield, Spellbreaker counts as a Heavy Armor piece. Blocking with it raises the Heavy Armor and the Block skill.
- Guards will comment on this shield if it's equipped, saying, "Your shield, it's Dwarf made isn't it? But it seems so much...more." and "Ah! That's a fine shield! And not mere Dwarven, is it?"
- Although it is Dwarven in nature, it is made mostly of an odd white metal, perhaps ivory.
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim