In ancient times, the rock-like material, also known as enchanted ice, was used in the burial rituals of ancient Nords and Atmorans. The deceased would be encased in the material as a form of protection, a privilege that was typically reserved for Nordic individuals. It was also believed to have been used to craft armor for ancient kings that fought in battle.
Frost enchantments, such as frost damage and resist frost, are 25% stronger when placed on items crafted from Stalhrim. This effect is identical to the Enchanting perk Frost Enchanter or the Destruction perk Augmented Frost, and stacks with both.
A total of 19 Stalhrim deposits can be found throughout Solstheim, granting a total of 57 pieces of Stalhrim. Mining a deposit takes twice as long as mining other ore deposits, six hits with a pickaxe per ore. Deposits typically replenish after 30–35 days, much like other ores.
The following is a list of locations where Stalhrim can be mined:
|Benkongerike Great Hall||3 pieces mined from one sarcophagus.|
|Bloodskal Barrow||3 pieces mined from one sarcophagus in a hidden room behind the waterfall located in Raven Rock Mine.|
|Gyldenhul Barrow||6 pieces mined from two sarcophagi near the entrance.|
|Kolbjorn Barrow||6 pieces mined from two sarcophagi.|
|Raven Rock Mine||3 pieces mined from one sarcophagus in the ruins at the bottom of the mineshaft.|
|Stalhrim Source||30 pieces mined from ten sarcophagi. Location is initially unmarked, but is located just north-west of White Ridge Barrow.|
|Unmarked glacial island, northeast of Northshore Landing.||6 pieces mined from two sarcophagi.|
In addition, Baldor Iron-Shaper or Glover Mallory will sometimes have a small amount of Stalhrim for sale once "A New Source of Stalhrim" is completed. Their stock of Stalhrim, usually only two or three at a time, replenishes every two days.
This section contains bugs related to Stalhrim. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
Stalhrim may not be mined at all, even if the Ancient Nordic Pickaxe is in player's inventory.
- Trying to mine a deposit and backing out, if the notification message of Stalhrim being added is not shown, should after couple attempts (three or four) work as intended.
- Draugr, there will be no option to mine the deposit, only to activate the object.
Stalhrim deposits replenish after a set amount of time. However, if there is an object behind the deposit that can be interacted with, such as the body of a
- Solution: If the Stalhrim has replenished and it cannot be accessed, simply leave the area and come back again.
- Another Solution: Swing at the Stalhrim with an Ancient Nordic Pickaxe.
- Manually swinging at the Stalhrim deposits creates a blood splatter effect.
- Solution: Travel anywhere in Solstheim, then reload to the last save. This will allow one to directly mine the deposit.
- console. Open up console with the ~ key, click on deposit, then type
enable. This restarts the object and the Stalhrim can be mined. Workaround: Inaccessible deposits can be re-enabled via
| Stalhrim Crafter|
Craft an item out of Stalhrim