These merchants statically sell Steel Arrows:
- Bits and Pieces
- In Belethor's General Goods shop
- The Drunken Huntsman shop in Whiterun has some
- Occasionally blacksmiths have them
- Fired arrows can be retrieved from both the ground and corpses they are lodged in. If the Dragonborn is struck with an arrow, it ends up in their inventory. Similarly, Followers hit with arrows keep them within their inventories.
- Steel Arrows are very commonly found on the bodies of Stormcloak Soldiers, Imperial soldiers, and guards.
- Its possible to get infinite Steel Arrows. Sometimes in Dragonsreach, Great Porch, you may find a soldier training with his bow, you just have to collect the arrows he shoots.
- It is also possible to get infinite Steel Arrows by collecting the arrows Niruin shoots while training inside The Ragged Flagon - Cistern.
- Sometimes, Delphine may practice at the Sky Haven Temple courtyard, shooting Steel Arrows at an archery target.
- The Dragonborn can also get free arrows from a guard in Solitude who shoots at a straw target outside Castle Dour. Again, like Dragonsreach, you just have to collect the arrows he shoots.
- Sometimes, the practice targets in Solitude may have arrows that were previously fired before the Dragonborn arrives, which can make them difficult to collect normally.
- Solution: Enter stealth mode, and aim the crosshair at the red tails of the arrows. If done correctly, the "Take Steel Arrow" interaction should appear on the screen, allowing you to take the arrows. You may have to move around a little bit, depending on the arrow's locations. It is recommended to use first-person camera, as the Dragonborn's physical appearance in third-person camera can obstruct the player's view, which can make the arrows even more difficult to collect.
- Sometimes, if the Whiterun guard is spoken to while he draws an arrow, he may stop firing and freeze, and the arrow he was using will disappear, but he will still respond when spoken to.
- Solution: Reload, fast-travel, or leave the Great Porch and re-enter. The guard should unfreeze and start firing like normal again. Do not use the Wait function on the Great Porch, as this will do nothing.