Steel Plate Armor is a set of heavy armor in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Steel Plate armor, chitin heavy armorDR and Nordic carved armorDR are the only heavy armor sets that can be crafted by obtaining the perks for the light armor side of the Smithing skill tree.
- Bolgeir Bearclaw, in the Blue Palace in Solitude
- Uthgerd the Unbroken, at The Bannered Mare in Whiterun
- Salma in Ironbind Barrow
- Umana in Alftand
- Bounty collectors after level 18.
- Atar in Sanuarach Mine wears a full set after level 18.
- Rigel Strong-Arm in Pinewatch.
- Full sets are worn by bandit chiefs after level 18.
- Guards encountered at Black-Briar Lodge wear the chest piece.
- Vigilant Tolan wears the gauntlets and boots.
- Afflicted at Bthardamz may wear the boots, gauntlets, and/or helmet.
- Bandit Marauders may wear the chest, gauntlets, boots or helmet.
Pieces can be upgraded with a Corundum ingot at a workbench, and also benefits from the Advanced Armors perk, which doubles the improvement.
Attributes by pieceEdit
|Piece||Leather Strips||Iron Ingot||Corundum Ingot||Steel Ingot||ID|
|Steel Plate Armor||40||38||625||3||1||1||3||0001395C|
|Steel Plate Boots||14||9||125||2||1||1||2||0001395B|
|Steel Plate Gauntlets||14||6||125||2||1||1||2||0001395D|
|Steel Plate Helmet||19||6||300||2||1||1||2||0001395E|
- Originally, this armor was to be called "Nord Plate Armor," according to the book of concept art which came with the collector's version of the game.
- It was supposed to have a matching "Steel Plate Shield," as seen in The Official Guide to Skyrim. Statistics for this were 28 armor, 14 weight, and 325 value.
- Jarl Balgruuf the Greater wears a set of this armor without the helmet during the Battle for Whiterun, if the player sides with the Stormcloaks.
- At low levels, the entire set (except for the helmet) can be obtained by finding Uthgerd the Unbroken, brawling her, recruiting her as a follower, then killing her outside the city.
- Due to its high value, crafting Steel Plate Armor instead of regular Steel armor is a good way to level up Smithing faster.
- This armor is very similar in protection to Orcish armor without the shield.
- Because Steel Plate was worn by Gormlaith Golden-Hilt during the Dragon War, which was many thousands of years before the events of Skyrim, this means that this armor is one of the oldest armor designs in the game, alongside the Ancient Nord Armor.