The sword has a steel blade as to be expected, with some rugged designs on the bottom edges. The hilt appears to be made of a fine wood, with metal woven into it, while the base of the blade has complex line patterns, with some dark gray areas.
- Blacksmiths and general goods merchants.
- Wielded by various characters or enemies.
- Found as random loot in chests, or as a world item throughout Skyrim.
- A steel sword can be found sticking out of a pile of rocks at Rebel's Cairn.
- A steel sword can be found on Alvor's fireplace in Riverwood, but it must be stolen.
It can be upgraded with a steel ingot at a grindstone, and also benefits from the Steel Smithing perk, which doubles the improvement.
- Skyforge Steel Sword – a possible reward for completing The Companions quest Proving Honor.
- Queen Freydis's Sword – part of a miscellaneous quest given by Oengul War-Anvil in Windhelm. He requests the Dragonborn find this legendary weapon so that he may present it to Ulfric Stormcloak.
- Vilkas's Sword – a unique Skyforge Steel Sword.
- Passing by a Hold Guard with a steel sword equipped may trigger the line, "Favor a Steel Sword do ya'? Good choice for slashing or stabbing."