| Base Damage:|
| Base Value:|
|Class: One-Handed, Sword|
|Upgrade Material: Steel Ingot|
|Perk: Steel Smithing|
The sword has a steel blade as to be expected, with some rugged designs on the bottom edges. The hilt appears to be made of a fine wood, with metal woven into it, while the base of the blade has complex line patterns, with some dark gray areas.
Unenchanted steel swords will begin to appear throughout Skyrim at level 2, and enchanted swords can be found at level 3. These locations include:
- Blacksmith and general goods merchants.
- Wielded by various characters or enemies.
- Found as random loot in chests, or as a world item throughout Skyrim.
- A steel sword can be found sticking out of a pile of rocks at Rebel's Cairn.
It can be upgraded with an steel ingot at a grindstone, and also benefits from the Steel Smithing perk, which doubles the improvement.
- Skyforge Steel Sword - a possible reward for completing The Companions quest Proving Honor.
- Queen Freydis's Sword - part of a miscellaneous quest given by Oengul War-Anvil in Windhelm. He requests the Dragonborn find this legendary weapon so that he may present it to Ulfric Stormcloak.
- Vilkas's Sword - a unique Skyforge Steel Sword.
- Passing by a guard with a steel sword equipped may trigger the line, "Favor a Steel Sword do ya'? Good choice for slashing or stabbing."