- Main article: Amulets (Skyrim)
The Dragonborn is told that Wuunferth the Unliving was in possession of the amulet until it ended up in Hjerim at the crime scene of Friga Shatter-Shield's murder. If they take the amulet to Calixto Corrium for appraisal, Calixto says the amulet is powerless and worthless -- symbolic jewelry with no magical function. Eager to purchase the amulet and put it on display in his curiosity shop, Calixto agrees to purchase it for 500 .
After accusing Wuunferth of being The Butcher, he is arrested. Several days later, while Wuunferth is in the Windhelm prison another murder occurs outside Candlehearth Hall. At that point, they can tell Wuunferth about the new murder, and Wuunferth will reveal that the Strange Amulet is in fact, an amulet used for Necromancy. The amulet is in fact the Necromancer's Amulet of Legend, which once belonged to Mannimarco, the King of Worms. Following Wuunferth's instructions to meet the true killer in the Stone Quarters, the amulet may be found on Calixto's corpse, after his death.
Alternately, if Wuunferth is approached directly without accusing him of the murders, he can be shown the amulet and will identify it. Unlike Calixto, however, he has no interest in purchasing it and it will continue to be identified in the inventory as "Strange Amulet."
- Blood on the Ice: During the quest, the Dragonborn is led to believe that the amulet is an enchanted amulet called the Wheelstone, an eight-sided, jade amulet carved with a skull given to court-wizards of the Jarl of Windhelm. It appears circular in-game in Skyrim, but is described as eight-sided in dialogue with Wuunferth the Unliving, and was eight-sided in Oblivion.
This section contains bugs related to Strange Amulet. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the Dragonborn does not sell the Amulet to Calixto before apprehending Wuunferth the Unliving, it will stay stuck in his/her inventory listed as 'Strange Amulet,' unable to be sold or dropped.
- Once stuck in inventory, it may be removed by using the following console command: player.removeitem 000d2328 1
- The Necromancer Amulet can then still be added using the following console command: player.additem 000c891d 1
- Although the Amulet cannot be sold or dropped even after the quest has been completed (due to it still being regarded as a Quest item), it can be "given" to the corpse of Susanna the Wicked or Arivanya.
- If the player managed to save Arivanya from being murdered, they can put the Strange Amulet into her inventory by pickpocketing her and giving it to her.
- If the amulet is sold to Calixto, it can be pickpocketed back and be repeatedly re-sold to him for another 500.
- If the amulet is reacquired from Calixto after selling it to him, it becomes enchantable as any other regular necklace would be. However, while it can be selected in the enchanting menu, no actual enchantments can be applied to it.
- Sometimes the amulet can be found In Hjerim if the Dragonborn has bought the house after completing the quest. It is found near an End Table with "Beware the Butcher!" pamphlets. It has no enchantments, armor, or weight rating, but can still be sold for 1000 gold. The player might also be unable to drop it or sell it.
- The amulet may be able to be selected for enchanting, however no enchantments can be selected to apply to it.