- Main article: Amulets (Skyrim)
The Dragonborn finds the amulet in Hjerim during the quest Blood on the Ice. It is located in the backroom, on the first floor, hidden under a pile of Beware the Butcher! pamphlets on a small set of shelves. If taken to Jorleif, the Dragonborn is told that Calixto Corrium might be able to identify it. Calixto tells the Dragonborn that it is called The Wheelstone, a purely ceremonial amulet given to the court wizard of Windhelm, in this case Wuunferth the Unliving. Calixto then becomes eager to purchase the amulet and put it on display in his curiosity shop for 500 . He tells the Dragonborn that it is purely a collector's item and that no one else would appraise it as highly, despite its marked value of 1,000 . If asked whether it should be returned to the court wizard, Calixto comments that Wuunferth would not care about it and that he would fear to approach the man, as he is known to be a necromancer. If the Dragonborn keeps the amulet, it remains a quest item forever, unable to be sold, and never attains any capability. If the Dragonborn sells the amulet, the next time it is seen, it will be identified as the Necromancer Amulet.
When the Dragonborn asks Wuunferth about Calixto's claims (either before or after accusing him), Wuunferth asks for a description of the amulet. Despite the in-game appearance, the Dragonborn describes the amulet as "Eight-sided. Jade, ringed with ebony. A worn carving." Wuunferth explains that the carving was most likely once a skull and correctly identifies it as the Necromancer's Amulet of legend once belonging to Mannimarco, the King of Worms. Knowing that the murders are part of a necromancy ritual, Wuunferth correctly predicts the next murder will be in the Stone Quarter the following night, the identified amulet may be found on Calixto's corpse, after his death.
Alternatively, if Wuunferth is approached before Calixto, he can be shown the amulet and will correctly identify it in dialogue. The actual amulet, however, will not change. He will not offer to purchase it and it will be permanently marked as a quest item with no use.
- Blood on the Ice: During the quest, amulet is part of a ritual to restore a dead woman to life by collecting body parts. the Dragonborn is led to believe that the amulet is a purely ceremonial amulet called the Wheelstone, which is give to the court wizard of Windhelm.
- The amulet is described as "Eight-sided. Jade, ringed with ebony. A worn carving." and it is stated that the carving once portrayed a skull. In game, the amulet is circular and the carved skull is completely unworn. The Necromancer's Amulet also appeared in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and more accurately matched the Dragonborn's description.
This section contains bugs related to Strange Amulet. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the Dragonborn does not sell the Amulet to Calixto before apprehending Wuunferth the Unliving, it will stay stuck in their inventory listed as "Strange Amulet," unable to be sold or dropped.
- console command:
player.removeitem 000d2328 1 Once stuck in inventory, it may be removed by using the following
player.additem 000c891d 1 The Necromancer Amulet can then still be added using the following console command:
- Although the Amulet cannot be sold or dropped even after the quest has been completed (due to it still being regarded as a Quest item), it can be "given" to the corpse of Susanna the Wicked or Arivanya.
- If the Dragonborn managed to save Arivanya from being murdered, they can put the Strange Amulet into her inventory by pickpocketing her and giving it to her.
- console command:
- If the amulet is sold to Calixto, it can be pickpocketed back and be repeatedly re-sold to him for another 500 .
- If the amulet is reacquired from Calixto after selling it to him, it becomes enchantable as any other regular necklace would be. However, while it can be selected in the enchanting menu, no actual enchantments can be applied to it.
- Sometimes the amulet can be found in Hjerim if the Dragonborn has bought the house after completing the quest. It is found near an end table with "Beware the Butcher!" pamphlets. It has no enchantments, armor, or weight rating, but can still be sold for 1000 . The Dragonborn may also be unable to drop it or sell it.