|Location||West of Whiterun|
|Quests||In My Time of Need|
Swindler's Den is a cave east of Rorikstead and southwest of Morthal. It is infested with several bandits, bandit thugs and a highwayman. Swindler's Den serves as the base of the Alik'r in the quest, In My Time of Need.
In the fourth large room, the Pickpocket Skill Book Thief is sitting on a bedroll on the ground. In the next "room", (actually just a ledge overlooking the third room), is a copy of Night Falls on Sentinel that is on a crate next to a deer pelt. This book is needed for a miscellaneous quest given by Rustleif, in Dawnstar.
- In My Time of Need: Find Saadia.
- Stealing Plans: Retrieve silver hand plans for Aela.
- Miscellaneous: Possible Location- Bring one Night Falls on Sentinel to Rustleif.
- Possible location for Ancient Technology in Dawnguard.
- Night Falls on Sentinel - One-Handed Skill Book
- Thief - Pickpocket Skill Book
- Outside of Swindler's Den there are three unmarked locations each containing a skill book.
- South of the fast travel point, two torches can be seen in the distance. They are at a Shrine of Stendarr containing a strongbox (which contains a Flawless Emerald, Ruby, and Silver Amethyst Ring) and the skill book Twin Secrets. From here look west to see some ruins. When at the ruins there's a shrine of Zenithar, satchel, two silver ingots, and the skill book 2920, vol 05 - Second Seed. From there, to the north is a depression. In the depression there is a mammoth skeleton, Slaughterfish Egg, nirnroot, and a dead bandit. On the dead bandit is the skill book Beggar. Be aware the depression is guarded by a Sabre Cat.
- Directly outside the cave are three helmets, an Iron Helmet, a Steel Helmet, and an Imperial Light Helmet.
- There is a chest on a ledge in the first room of a cave, as well as some White Cap.
- In the third room will be a small table with a Amethyst, Silver Necklace, 17 gold pieces and a coin purse.
- In the fourth room there is a chest, another Deer Hide, and the skill book "Thief" on a bed roll.
- After that in the final room there are the Alik'r and their leader, and a chest.
- There are two Refined Malachite ingots and a Gold Ingot in an open crate on the southern wall of the most northeastern room, to the left of the tunnel entrance leading further into the cave.
This section contains bugs related to Swindler's Den. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- In My Time of Need and choosing the ending by helping Kematu, the Alik'r Soldiers and Kematu are still in Swindler's Den, without Saadia. The warriors can be attacked and killed.
If the cave is reentered after finishing the quest
- When entering the den under this scenario, the Alik'r spawn with a Bandit Chief and a couple of regular bandits who immediately start attacking the Alik'r. Who wins is up to chance. Whoever is left alive can now be finished off and looted, (the Alik'r now have no conversation options and are not needed for any further quests).
- If the cave is reentered after finishing In My Time of Need there is the possibility the game will get stuck on the loading screen and never actually load the cave. The problem seems to arise as soon as the Dragonborn accepts the "Stealing Plans" quest from Aela the Huntress after clearing Gallows Rock in the Companion questline.
- Sometimes after completing In My Time of Need all subsequent reentries into Swindler's Den will cause the game to crash. This can make completing the Companions quest line impossible.