Talvas strives constantly to impress Neloth, to prove himself as an apprentice who is worth the time and effort to teach. Unfortunately, it seems that almost all of his efforts are in vain, as Neloth berates him at every turn and constantly considers him inept. The Dragonborn first encounters Talvas during one such attempt to prove himself, trying to perform Conjure Ash Guardian — a particularly tricky spell that only Neloth had mastered at the time. Talvas fails to do it properly, which results in the From the Ashes quest.
Talvas attempts to summon an Ash Guardian, but the incantation goes awry and he needs the Dragonborn to put down the rampaging creature. While the Dragonborn is fighting the unsuccessfully summoned Ash Guardian, Talvas runs off to keep Neloth distracted.
Talvas offers master level training in Conjuration. If he is gained as a follower, the money paid for training can be taken back from his inventory.
Talvas can be gained as a follower if he is helped during the quest "From the Ashes." As a follower he can also be asked to become a steward for a homestead. If he is killed he will drop around 2500 Coins, as well as Adept Robes of Conjuration.
Talvas uses Destruction spells like Firebolt, Fireball and Ice Storm during combat. He will use the Alteration spell Ironflesh during combat as well. He also may conjure a Flame Atronach or a Frost Atronach and use Fast Healing or Steadfast Ward. He equips any armor given to him.
If asked to steal an item he will reply with "Not for you, not for anyone." But in some cases he will steal if the owner of said object has been killed.
What is a heart stone?: "Heart stones are only found on Solstheim as far as I know. Master Neloth believes they may be fragments from inside Red Mountain that were flung here during the huge eruption two hundred years ago."
What is this place?: "This is Master Neloth's tower. He's a Telvanni Wizard."
Telvanni? Who are the Telvanni?: "You've never heard of the great houses of Morrowind? House Telvanni is the house of the master wizard, one of the ruling houses of Morrowind. Master Neloth is one of the oldest and most respected members of House Telvanni."
Do you work with Neloth?: "Not so much with, as for. I am Master Neloth's apprentice. He's teaching me the art of sorcery."
Is Master Neloth a good teacher?: "Um. Well, he is a very great wizard. It's a great honor for him to have taken me as his apprentice. To be honest, it's horrible. He's very unpleasant and hardly teaches me anything. Sometimes he uses me in his experiments. Even so, I pick up a lot from just watching him."
Neloth and Talvas occasionally partake in several brief conversations that can be heard when visiting Tel Mithryn. They typically result in Neloth berating his apprentice for one reason or another.
Neloth: "Good, good. As soon as I'm done here, I'll try it out."
Talvas: "May I keep this one, master?"
Neloth: "We'll see. If the power levels aren't too high you may have it."
Neloth: "That was before you ruined that staff. Fix the staff and I'll teach you the spell."
Talvas: "Yes, master. Thank you, master. I'll fix it right away."
Talvas: "Thank you, master. It's all because of your brilliant teaching."
Neloth: "Don't think your false flattery will work on me, Talvas. You're still going to give me that skin sample."
Talvas: "Yes, master."
Soul gem blunderEdit
Talvas: "Yes, master. Although the grand soul gem only has a common soul in it."
Neloth: "Idiot! Those are hard to find. Next time don't fill it at all if you can't do it properly."
- Talvas will not become hostile if he sees the Dragonborn transforming into a Werewolf or Vampire Lord. However, this must be done outside of Tel Mithryn, otherwise he will simply join Neloth in the attack.
- If the Dragonborn walks into a scenic area, Talvas will exclaim, "By the Nine!" rather than "By the Eight!"
This section contains bugs related to Talvas Fathryon. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Other followers that share his voice type/actor may use his lines instead of their own. The follower's mouth will move as if he is saying his regular line but Talvas' line is heard.
- Talvas only functions as a vendor inside of Tel Mithryn. If he is a follower, the dialogue option to barter with him might not appear even in the tower, dismissing him makes the barter option appear.
- "Follow me. I need your help," may appear twice in his dialogue box
- Sometimes he won't sell anything after you dismissed him, even at Tel Mithryn. Possible reason is because you take all items from his inventory. Re-recruit him and give him some items, save/reload, and dismiss him again should fix the bug.