The Thalmor Embassy serves as a base of operations for the Third Aldmeri Dominion in Skyrim. Before and after, but not during "Diplomatic Immunity," the main building is impossible to enter legitimately, with no enemies carrying the corresponding key.
Hoping to discover secret information about the Dragon Crisis, Delphine sends the Dragonborn to the Thalmor Embassy. Disguised as a guest attending Elenwen's party, the Dragonborn creates a distraction and discovers several dossiers and letters about the Civil War in Skyrim, but nothing about the Dragon Crisis. The Dragonborn does, however, learn that a Dragon Loremaster of the Blades, Esbern, is in Skyrim and is wanted by the Thalmor. Attempting to escape, the Dragonborn discovers Etienne Rarnis, a member of the Thieves Guild who was being interrogated by the Thalmor in regards to Esbern's presence in Riften.
The barracks in the Thalmor Embassy can still be accessed after Diplomatic Immunity and is a great source of Altmer blood, which is needed for activating the Dwemer mechanism at Septimus Signus's Outpost.
Gaining Access After "Diplomatic Immunity"Edit
There are several ways to enter the embassy (including locked areas) after the completion of Diplomatic Immunity. Keep in mind that these tricks (aside from the first) require several tries to succeed. Tested and works on PS3.
- If you've obtained the Summon Arvak spell from the Soul Cairn, face the main entrance that requires a key and run to the outer wall directly to your east. Then, facing North, you will see a wall acting as a divider between you and the main (outdoor) area from Diplomatic Immunity. Where the outer wall and dividing wall meet, jump until you clip up the divider; an invisible wall will prevent you from going over, but you should be able to get relatively far up. Once as high as you can, run towards the roof of the main building and cast "Summon Arvak" while pointing at it; you should aim roughly halfway down the length of the roof. Your horse will spawn on the ground below (or on the roof, and then fall to the ground) and you can mount it to bypass the wall.
- Use wooden plate on the wall to the left side of the main entrance (behind the lamppost). Keep running into the plate to bypass the wall into Elenwen's Solar exterior. Difficulty: Easy.
- Enter the embassy via backdoor. There's a locked door at the center of the first floor that leads directly into the party hall. Use another wooden plate on the door. Again keep running into it until you can see the other side of the door, then immediately use Whirlwind Sprint to enter the hall. Razelan and Brelas (occasionally Elenwen and Illdi) can be found here. Difficulty: Easy to Hard.
- Entering the kitchen area from the party hall requires two plates (or one from the center hall). Use the same trick as above with Whirlwind Sprint on the first door, and another one at the hallway into the kitchen. Tsavanni will have generic conversations with the Dragonborn instead of warning them about it's against the rules to be in the kitchen. Difficulty: Easy to Hard.
- Skill Book (Illusion): Before the Ages of Man
- A Stone of Barenziah
- A bottle of Colovian Brandy by talking to the waitress with the platter of drinks in the entrance room.
- Two Elven Daggers
- Gold and Emerald Circlet
- Gold and Ruby Circlet
- Elven and Glass armor sets, depending on level.
- Etienne Rarnis
- Idgrod Ravencrone
- Maven Black-Briar
- Orthus Endario
This section contains bugs related to Thalmor Embassy. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The Stone of Barenziah will become unavailable after completing "Diplomatic Immunity."
- This was fixed in Patch 1.4.
- Unplayable after killing Thalmor guards before the "Diplomatic Immunity" quest. (Fixed in 1.5 Patch)
- If a dragon priest mask, gold, large quantities of keys, or Ancient Shrouded equipment is given to Malborn, there is a chance it may not appear in the larder and will be lost forever.
- The Dragonborn may access the Embassy through a glitch in the Reeking Cave after completing "Diplomatic Immunity." It is also possible to regain access by jumping a horse over the fence to the left of the embassy building.
- After completing "Diplomatic Immunity," sometimes if the Dragonborn sprints and bumps into a Thalmor Wizard or Soldier, all the Thalmor in the area of the Embassy become hostile.
- The Stone of Barenzieah is obtainable by using Whirlwind Sprint in just the right spot near the back of Reeking Cave. Note that one must have already completed "Diplomatic Immunity" and have all three words of whirlwind sprint.
- If the Embassy is accessed before starting "Diplomatic Imunity," the quest can be started by speaking with Elenwen within the Embassy.