- Main article: Thalmor (Skyrim)
Should the Dragonborn converse with the Justiciar, they will have the option of saying whether or not they worship Talos. If they say that they do, the Justiciar will immediately turn hostile. Should they remain neutral on the subject, the Thalmor will assume the Dragonborn is hiding the fact that they are cooperating with the worship of Talos and turn hostile. The only way to avoid combat is to cancel conversation if things are turning accusational, or to exclaim a dislike for Talos. If the Dragonborn enters conversation with a Thalmor Justiciar twice, the second conversation will always end with the Justiciar deciding to attack the Dragonborn, regardless of the dialogue option chosen.
Justiciars may occasionally be escorting a human prisoner, presumably a Talos worshipper. The prisoner may be freed by starting a dialogue, which also allows for trading items (e.g., weapons and/or armor). The Justiciars will immediately become hostile towards the Dragonborn, the prisoner, and any followers. Killing the Justiciars after they become hostile does not gain a bounty. After the Justiciars are dead, the freed prisoner will make his way to Windhelm.
Thalmor Justiciars can be sent to kill the Dragonborn. This will start to happen when the Dragonborn has completed the quest "Diplomatic Immunity." They can also be sent if the Dragonborn has attacked Northwatch Keep or if the Dragonborn has committed crimes against the Thalmor. They may also attack the Dragonborn after killing Ancano during The Eye of Magnus. Prior to the completion of these quests, only the "assassin" squads sent specifically to hunt the Dragonborn will be hostile on sight; regular Thalmor squads will initially be neutral to the Dragonborn.
- "Behold the future! Behold the Thalmor!"
- "Nord beast! Your life and your lands are forfeit!" (If the Dragonborn is a Nord.)
- "You are but a dog, and I am your master!"
- "Don't you see?! Elven supremacy is the only truth!"
- "Death is the only escape from your misery!"
- "Long live the Aldmeri Dominion!"
- Attacking and/or killing Justiciars that were not previously hostile will lead to a bounty in the hold where the attack took place. Even if all witnesses are eliminated and there is no bounty, the guards of the hold where the attack took place may nevertheless become hostile (this may be a bug).
- The Justiciars may also attack immediately if the Dragonborn is wearing an Amulet of Talos.
- This is an easy way to obtain high elf blood for the quest Discerning the Transmundane.
- Attacking and/or killing Justiciars that were not previously hostile may lead to Elrindir in the Drunken Huntsman, and people in Dragonsreach attacking the Dragonborn. Free the prisoner first to avoid this.
- They may be found taking Northwatch Prisoners to Northwatch Keep.
- Thalmor Justiciars hold a role of enforcing laws within the Aldmeri Dominion.
- The Thalmor may send an execution team out for the Dragonborn even if they haven't done anything to them (i.e. have not attacked their patrols, rescued Thorald Gray-Mane, or started Diplomatic Immunity).
- They may attack with no provocation, and killing them acquires a bounty.