- Befriend the Jarl of Winterhold.
- Assist three citizens of Winterhold.
- Return to the Jarl.
Alternatively, if the Legion wins the Civil War the Dragnborn can simply talk to the new Jarl Kraldar and then help three people in the hold, thus bypassing the retrieval of the Helm of Winterhold.
There are several easy ways to assist the people of Winterhold:
|Brelyna Maryon||Brelyna's Practice||College of Winterhold||Brelyna Maryon needs somebody to practice her spells on.|
|Drevis Neloren||Out of Balance||College of Winterhold||Cleanse the focal points for Drevis Neloren at the College of Winterhold.|
|Haran||A Few Words with You||The Frozen Hearth||Help Haran convince Ranmir to pay his bar tab.|
|Malur Seloth||Some Light Theft||The Frozen Hearth||Steal the Staff of Arcane Authority.|
|Sergius Turrianus||Enchanting Pick-Up||College of Winterhold / Radiant||Pick-up an item from a client for enchanting.|
|J'zargo||J'zargo's Experiment||College of Winterhold||Test some scrolls for J'zargo.|
The Blade of Winterhold will be awarded, along with the new title.
|Thane of Winterhold|
|Return to <Jarl>
This section contains bugs related to Thane of Winterhold. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- During the quest "Containment" it is possible for Ranmir to be killed by the magical orbs that invade Winterhold rendering his quest unavailable.
- Sometimes if the Dragonborn becomes the Archmage of the college before speaking to the Jarl, the Jarl may not give the option to become a Thane.
- After the Helm of Winterhold has been given to the Jarl, it is possible that Jarl Ulfric will ask that the Helm of Winterhold be retrieved again and again.
- If the Helm of Winterhold is found after finishing the Imperial Questline, it may be necessary to lockpick Jarl Brunwulfs house to find Jarl Korir inside. After giving the helm to him the quest will not update making it impossible to become a Thane of Winterhold.
- Upon returning the Helm of Winterhold, the Dragonborn may be asked to retrieve it again, but from a different dungeon.