The Elder Scrolls Online is a multiplayer online role-playing game that was announced in May 2012.
Developed by the team at ZeniMax Online Studios, The Elder Scrolls Online merges the unmatched exploration of rich worlds that the franchise is known for with the scale and social aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
Players will discover an entirely new chapter of Elder Scrolls history in this ambitious world, set a millennium before the events of Skyrim as the Daedric prince, Molag Bal, tries to pull all of Tamriel into his demonic realm.
The Elder Scrolls Online will take place in the following provinces:
- Summerset Isles
- Cyrodiil (after sufficient quest progression)
- The game is set in the Second Era, in the Interregnum.
- Cyrodiil is ravished by war, and the Imperials are not doing so well.
- The Tharn family has made a pact with the King of Worms, who has agreed to supplement the Imperial's forces by resurrecting their soldiers. 
- Secretly, Mannimarco is conspiring with Molag Bal, the Daedric Prince of Corruption and Domination, to take over Mundus.
- Molag Bal is harvesting souls of mortals, and the player is an adventurer whose soul has been taken, allowing them to constantly return to life. 
- He's also sent "Dark Anchors" into Tamriel, which drag Mundus into Coldharbour. The Fighters Guild have taken it upon themselves to remove them. 
- Three major groups have formed:
- The Aldmeri Dominion, consisting of Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajiit, control Alinor, Elsweyr, and Valenwood.
- The Daggerfall Covenant, consisting of Orcs, Bretons, and Redguards, control High Rock and Hammerfell. 
- The Ebonheart Pact, consisting of Dunmer, Argonians, and Nords, control Skyrim, Morrowind, and Black Marsh. 
- Time-travel will be featured in the game. In one example, the player puts on some old armor and is put in the owner's role, participating in a battle of long ago. 
- Undead werewolves will be featured in the game. 
- A werewolf named Faolchu has amassed a werewolf army and has taken over Camlorn, High Rock. [source?]
- The Thieves Guild are in the game, as are the Dark Brotherhood 
- The Fighters Guild and Mages Guild are in the game  
- There will at some point be a battle for the Imperial City. 
- The landscape of Cyrodiil is similar to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 
- Akaviri Invasion: At some point prior to this game, there is an Akaviri Invasion, which sets up the alliances that are formed 
- The Daggerfall Covenant: 50 years prior to the game, there is a war called King Rancer's War, which players will get to experience. 
- The Tribunal will be in the game 
- There is a pretender trying to become part of the Tribunal 
- Mundus Stones will be used to give characters special abilities. 
The following creatures have been confirmed to be appearing in The Elder Scrolls: Online:
- Ruins are confirmed to feature in the game, with the following ruin types confirmed so far: Ayleid Ruins, Daedric Ruins and Old Forts. 
- The contents of books found often relate to the area in which they are found. These books can be read at any time, and, unlike the Elder Scrolls games, will not be part of the inventory. 
- Dragons are not going to be part of the game at this stage. 
- ↑ Biessener, Adam (03 May 2012). June Cover Revealed The Elder Scrolls Online. Game Informer.
- ↑ Karmali, Luke (18 July 2012). The Elder Scrolls Online May Come To Consoles. IGN.
- ↑ The Elder Scrolls Online is Not as World of Warcraft as You Might Fear. Kotaku (15 June 2012).
- ↑ Hanson, Ben (29 May 2012). The Tactical Combat of The Elder Scrolls Online. Game Informer.
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 Game Informer: June 2012 Edition
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 6.8 6.9 Hanson, Ben (21 May 2012). Creating the Story for The Elder Scrolls: Online.
- ↑ Reeves, Ben (16 May 2012). Elder Scrolls Online Faction Profile Aldmeri Dominion. Game Informer.
- ↑ Reeves, Ben (16 May 2012). Elder Scrolls Online Faction Profile Daggerfall Covenant. Game Informer.
- ↑ Reeves, Ben (16 May 2012). Elder Scrolls Online Faction Profile Ebonheart Pact. Game Informer.
|Arena • Daggerfall • Morrowind (Tribunal | Bloodmoon)|
Oblivion (Oblivion Mobile | Knights of the Nine | Shivering Isles) • Skyrim (Dawnguard | Hearthfire | Dragonborn)
|Battlespire • Redguard • Stormhold • Dawnstar • Shadowkey • Travels: Oblivion • Online (The Imperial City | Orsinium) • Legends|
|Codex Scientia • The Daggerfall Chronicles • Battlespire Athenaeum • The Redguard Companion • The Morrowind Prophecies • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Official Game Guide • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Game Guide • Hero's Guide to Tamriel|
|The Infernal City • Lord of Souls • Tales of Tamriel (The Land | The Lore) • The Skyrim Library (The Histories | Man, Mer, and Beast | The Arcane)|