|The Five Tenets|
|Title: The Five Tenets|
|Full Title: The Five Tenets|
- Main article: Books (Oblivion)
The Dark Brotherhood was originally bound by the rules known as The Five Tenets. By the Fourth Era, the leader of the Brotherhood in Skyrim, Astrid has since revoked this code, and chooses to do whatever she pleases, as "her word is law."
- Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, written on the wall.
Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
- The Tenets seem to have been created by Sithis. They say that killing a Dark Brother or Sister will invoke the Wrath of Sithis, so, if these were created by Sithis, Astrid would technically be violating her master's rules by revoking the Tenets.
- Astrid breaks all the Tenets during the Dark Brotherhood questline.
- Tenet 1: She dishonors the Night Mother by her reaction and attitude to having the Night Mother's corpse reside in the Falkreath Sanctuary.
- Tenets 2 and 5: She betrays the Dark Brotherhood, and directly leads to the deaths of most of the members.
- Tenet 3: She initially disobeys and refuses to carry out the Night Mother‘s wishes for the Dragonborn to seek out Amaund Motierre at Volunruud.
- Tenet 4: By having you take Cicero's journals in "The Cure for Madness".
- It is possible that perhaps she did in fact invoke the Wrath of Sithis. In the end she realizes this and invokes the Black Sacrament on herself, fulfilling Sithis' Wrath.