The Hunter is a Knight Order quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent, when seeking to join one of the Iliac Bay's Knight Orders, is asked to kill a giant, known to have raided a local farm.
Having escaped from Privateer's Hold, the Agent may wander around the Iliac Bay freely. A potential source of income, and reputation, can be found by working for one of the ten Knight Orders, which serve ten regions across the Bay. In order to join an Order, however, the Agent will have to prove their abilities by completing some "mundane" tasks.
- Speak with a Quester from one of the Knight Orders.
- Journey to and enter the specified dungeon.
- Search for the giant and kill it.
- Return to the Quester before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
Speaking to a Quester from a Knight Order will reveal that a local giant has been raiding a nearby farm. Although the Order has been given the task to complete, the Quester is willing to let the Agent take up the quest as a means of improving their reputation with the Order. Accepting the quest reveals the location of the giant, last reported in a nearby dungeon.
A Huntsman for HireEdit
The Agent must journey to and then enter the specified dungeon in search of the giant, which will be located somewhere within. It is likely that there will be several giants roaming around the dungeon, so confirming which one is the quest target is impossible without killing all of them. Regardless, when the target giant is killed the Agent themself will state:
With the giant dead, the Agent must escape the dungeon and return to the Quester before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
The Agent will not receive any physical reward for completing the quest successfully, but will instead get a more widespread boost to their reputation. The penalties for failing the quest remain true to a usual quest:
|The Hunter - b0c00y06|
[Quester's name] of the knightly order in [town] told me of a [monster] that needs slaying in [dungeon]. I only have [x] days.
- Dialogue in the quest suggests that the target of the quest could be any one of the creatures.
- Because it is always a giant, this quest is very similar to the later quest: Giant Raiding.
- NPCs can make a variety of comments relating to the quest when asked for any news:
- "That [monster] is a real nuisance in [current town]."
- "Many wish the knights would do something about that [monster]."
- "No one expected the knightly order to do anything about the [monster]."
- "Everyone is thanking the knights for slaying that [monster]."
- "Thank [random god], and not the knightly order, the [monster] moved on."
- "It's only natural that the [monster] moved. But it'll return."
This section contains bugs related to The Hunter (Quest). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Knights of the Rose, Knights of the Hawk or Knights of the Flame, the Agent will gain reputation with the Dark Brotherhood. When the quest is completed for the
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Knight Orders|
|Allies of Daggerfall||Knights of the Dragon • Knights of the Owl|
|Allies of Wayrest||Knights of the Flame • Knights of the Rose • Order of the Raven|
|Allies of Sentinel||Host of the Horn • Knights of the Hawk • Knights of the Wheel • Order of the Candle • Order of the Scarab|
|Non-member Quests||The Traitor • The Hunter • Band of Orcs • Pest Control|
|Member Quests||Rescue a Princess • Retribution • Crazed Orc Mercenary • The Orcish Hoard • The Orc Raids • Giant Raiding • Banish the Ghost • Eternal Rest|
|Elite Member Quests||The Dragonslayer • Invasion from Oblivion • Artifact of Power • The Army of the Undead • The Lost Artifact|
|Services||Quester • Seneschal • Smith|