The Insane Priest is a Temples quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent must retrieve a member of one of the Eight Divine Temples whose "gone off his nut," and duly run into a Dungeon.
- Speak with a Missionary from a joined Temples.
- Journey to the specified dungeon.
- Venture through the dungeon to find the problematic priest(ess).
- Knock out the priest(ess) and carry them out of the dungeon.
- Return to the Missionary before the time limit expires, with the priest(ess), to complete the quest.
Having joined one of the Eight Divine Temples, the Agent will be told, by one the Temple's Missionaries that a member of their clergy has "gone off his nut." The priest(ess), a probable victim of drink, has run from the Temple and disappeared into one of the Iliac Bay's many dungeons. The Agent is therefore tasked with retrieving the priest and returning them to the Temple by any means necessary.
A Problematic PriestEdit
The Agent will have to venture into the specified dungeon to begin their hunt for the priest(ess), battling the usual collection of dungeon foes. Eventually the Agent will come across the priest(ess), dressed as a monk and, potentially, locked in a cage. Upon being struck the priest will likely shout:
After being struck once the Agent will receive a message that the priest(ess) is unconscious, which will effectively move them to the Agent's inventory. The Agent must escape the dungeon and return to the Missionary before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
An Untimely InterventionEdit
However, if the time limit expires with the priest(ess) still in the Agent's company, two things will happen. The first will be the failure of the quest, before the priest(ess) them-self disappears, potentially exclaiming:
With the pries(ess) gone, the Agent cannot complete the quest.
The success or failure of the Agent in undertaking the quest will affect their reputation in the Temple:
|The Insane Priest - c0b00y04|
[Quest giver's name] of [temple], [town] has sent me to find a priest by the name of [priest's name], who went berserk and ran away to a place called [dungeon]. I have [x] days to go there, find the nut, and get back to [quest giver's name].
- Using a powerful weapon while having a high strength/weapon skill may kill the monk in one hit.
- This, naturally, will make it impossible to complete the quest.
- NPCs will have a variety of comments to make on the quest when asked for any news:
- "That lunatic [priest's name] is holed up in [dungeon]. Only an idiot would go there."
- "[Dungeon] is a dangerous place for sane people. [Priest's name] won't last long."
- "A [player's race] rescued that crazy [priest's name]. Whether [his/her] sanity was saved is a question."
- "[Priest's name] is either very holy, very drunk, or very mad. Or possibly all three."
- "Apparently, [priest's name] is never coming back home."
- "[Priest's name] is still out of [his/her] mind, wandering about [dungeon]."
This section contains bugs related to The Insane Priest. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Despite the fact that the priest can be either male or female, the dialogue from the quest will constantly refer to them as male.
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Temples|
|Temples||Akatosh Chantry • Order of Arkay • House of Dibella • School of Julianos • Temple of Kynareth • Benevolence of Mara • Temple of Stendarr • Resolution of Z'en|
|Templar Orders||Order of the Hour • Knights of the Circle • Order of the Lily • Knights Mentor • Kynaran Order • Maran Knights • Crusaders • Knights of Iron|
|Non-member Quests||The Healing • The Spook • The Stolen Item • An Errand|
|Member Quests||The Haunted House • The Obsessed Child • The Missing Scholar • The Insane Priest • Hunt for Undead • The Heretic • The Cursed Weapon • The Expiatory Sacrifice • A Delivery • The Relic • The Rite of Atonement • The Great Evil|
|Unique Quests||Avenge the Dragons • The Desecrated Temple • Desired Artwork • The Price of Knowledge • The Arm of Fury • A Powerful Spirit • A Special Plant • The Bounty|