|The Only Cure|
|Quest Giver||Kesh the Clean|
|Location||Shrine to Peryite|
|Prerequisite||Level requirement (12 or higher)|
BackgroundEditKesh the Clean at the Shrine of Peryite will trigger the quest.
Obtained in a random encounter with one of the afflicted or by approaching Kesh at the Shrine to Peryite (must be level 12 or above).
- Obtain a Silver Ingot
- Obtain a Deathbell flower
- Obtain some Vampire Dust
- Obtain a Flawless Ruby
- Give all of the acquired items to Kesh
- Inhale the fumes
- Kill Orchendor
- Report Orchendor's death to Peryite
The quest can also be triggered by just collecting the items needed (listed above) and going to the cauldron and activating it. This will start the quest.
Collecting the flawless ruby is by far the hardest part of the initial task. There are a few methods you can try in order to get one for this quest:
- A way of obtaining deathbell is by going to the College of Winterhold. Enter the Hall of Countenance or the Hall of Attainment on the left and right side of the courtyard of the College.search around the rooms, you will normally find it on shelves.
- Go to Mistveil Keep in Riften and talk to Harrald, who will ask you to retrieve his sword from Balimund. He will then reward you in a random gem combination. If you do not get the flawless ruby on your first try, reload the most recent save and repeat the process.
- A Flawless Ruby, along with other precious gems, can be found in a broken boat in the river southwest of Sky Haven Temple. They are sitting in the boat, under the seat, near the strongbox, but not in it. There will be at least one flawless gem, but a flawless ruby is not guaranteed.
- A Silver Ore Vein within the Sanuarach Mine. Remember to save your game, then mine all five veins at once. If you do not get a Flawless Ruby, reload your save and repeat until you get one.
- Killing Dragons.
- Up to 3 can be found at Avanchnzel during the Unfathomable Depths quest. A higher level (reportedly found at level 31) is required.
- In Shriekwind Bastion. The quickest way is to enter through the south entrance and keep taking left paths until you reach a single throne in a blood-splattered room. Examine the floor near the unlit fire pit on the right for the ruby (the ruby is not always flawless).
- Near Reachwater Rock. Follow the stream that exits the cave, and you will come across a rowboat. In that boat, amongst other things, is a flawless ruby.
- The Prowler's Profit perk makes obtaining flawless gems of every type easy.
- During the Hail Sithis! quest. On the Katariah, you can obtain it in the Emperor's room, on the table in front of his bed.
- In the Thieves Guild, take a fishing job from Delvin, or a shill job from Vex.
- Hidden chests in Dawnstar, Whiterun, and Windhelm may contain one, if you are at a high enough level.
- The Thieves Guild tribute chest.
- A trade with Mjoll the Lioness.
- The arch-mage's room at the College of Winterhold, in the safe.
- Depending on a player's level, Giants may rarely drop flawless gems.
- A gem can be found on Mercer Frey during the mission Blindsighted.
- In Movarth's Lair, when looting the master vampire.
- Using Transmute Mineral Ore can easily convert any Iron Ore the Dragonborn has into Silver Ore, and the Silver Ore can be smelted into Ingots at a Smelter.
The Silver Ingot and Vampire Dust can be easily obtained during The Companions questine because members of the The Silver Hand often carry these. If you do not wish to embark upon an entire questline to get these items, they can be purchased in shops throughout Skyrim, along with the deathbell. There is also a Silver Ore Vein on the western base of the shrine's mountain.
Once all necessary ingredients have been gathered, return to the shrine and inhale the fumes. Peryite will begin a conversation with the player. He will give you a task to kill his current overseer, Orchendor, who has forgotten his duty to Peryite. He will also state that you will replace Orchendor as his new champion. Orchendor is a mage (fire/ice) who resides in the Dwemer underground fortress called Bthardamz. It will be quite a challenge to find him there, because Bthardamz consists of several levels and areas filled with Afflicted (minions of Peryite that Orchendor guides) and Dwemer Automatons. The article on Bthardamz provides a good guide to navigating the dungeon.
On your way to Orchendor, you may find the Afflicted's Note, saying that Orchendor has gone down to the 'Aerdrome.' There is no place named Aerdrome in Bthardamz. Instead, what is meant is the Bthardamz Arcanex. At the Arcanex, Orchendor is guarded by numerous Dwemer Automatons, including a Dwarven Centurion. Fight them or sneak past them, depending upon your abilities. Orchendor is in the large room past the centurion. He deals considerable Destruction damage and is completely immune to fire, frost, and shock spells, as well as absorption effects. He is capable of teleporting and will often do so up to the upper tiers of the room. Physical weapons are recommended to slay him, and archery is useful for being able to continue attacking him as he teleports. Once he is defeated, gather his valuables and loot, including the key to the Bthardamz Elevator. Exit using the elevator to avoid retracing your long journey through Bthardamz.
Return to Peryite, who will reward you with the Spellbreaker.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Unless otherwise stated, the information above was obtained from in-game play or from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Creation Kit. 
- Orchendor ahead of time, you will be unable to complete the quest. If you manage to glitch through the door leading to the elevator to the Arcanex and kill
- The lever next to the iron bars may not appear.
- Fix by fast traveling to a near city, then fast travel back.
- After you give all the acquired items to Kesh, you can pick his pocket to get all the items back before he creates the fumes. This does not interrupt the quest because he will still create the fumes.
- Orchendor may have a bugged floor in which the player may fall to the door leading into the lower parts of the dungeon. Try using Whirlwind shout to get to the other side.
The room before the encounter with
- Any follower can fall through, rendering them lost.
If the player talks to Kesh while he is creating the fumes, the quest will not be updated.This may cause the trophy/achievement "Oblivion Walker" to be unobtainable, since the player cannot obtain Spellbeaker.
- Update: You can fix this by killing Kesh, taking the ingredients, and activating the cauldron yourself.
- The Spellbreaker is a shield, and is often added without the echo-text telling you it has been added to your inventory.
- If you give the required items to Kesh while he is at the alchemy table or cooking pot, sometimes the quest will not update. Load a previous save and try again.
- The Spellbreaker may not be given after the quest is completed. Load an earlier save and try again.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)