|The Only Cure|
|Quest Giver||Kesh the Clean|
|Location||Shrine to Peryite|
|Prerequisite||Level requirement (12 or higher)|
Obtained in a random encounter with one of the afflicted or by manually walking to Kesh at the Shrine to Peryite (must be level 10 or above).
- Obtain a Silver Ingot
- Obtain a Deathbell flower
- Obtain some Vampire Dust
- Obtain a Flawless Ruby
- Give all of the acquired items to Kesh
- Inhale the fumes
- Kill Orchendor
- Report Orchendor's death to Peryite
The quest can also be triggered by just collecting the items needed (listed above) and going to the cauldron and activating it. This will start the quest.
Collecting the ruby is by far the hardest part of the initial task. There are a few methods you can try in order to get one for this quest.
- You can go to Mistveil Keep in Riften and talk to Harrald who will give you the job to retrieve his sword from Balimund. He will then reward you in a random gem combination, if you don't get the flawless ruby on your first try just reload the most recent save and return the sword again until you get it. You can also save just before he gives you the reward so you don't have to do anything but repeatedly load your game until you get what you are looking for.
- A Flawless Ruby along with other precious gems can be found in a broken boat in the river southwest of Sky Haven Temple. They are sitting in the boat under the seat near the strongbox but not in it. There will be at least one flawless gem, but a flawless ruby is not guaranteed.
- Another alternative method can be to mine for one randomly at the Sanuarach Mine. It is advisable to save prior to attempting this method, same as retrieving Harrold's sword in Riften as mining a gemstone is random. This mine is in the town of Karthwasten, to the right up the slope as you face out from the front door of the Karthwasten Hall. Karthwasten is to the southeast of the Shrine to Peryite, and you can see its marker from the Shrine. Once you get inside the mine, the path will split at the bottom to the left and right. Take the path to the right, go up the wooden ramp, keep left and go up another wooden ramp. At the top there are two Silver Ore Veins on your left. If you keep going in the same direction and go up another wooden ramp, there are three veins on the left there as well. Remember to save your game before the first two, then mine all five veins at once. If you do not get a Flawless Ruby, reload your save and repeat until you get one.
- Killing Dragons is one way of obtaining this rare gem.
- Up to 3 can be found at Avanchnzel during the Unfathomable Depths quest. Player may need to be at a higher level (reportedly found at level 31).
- A fixed Flawless Ruby can be picked up from Shriekwind Bastion. The quickest way is to enter through the south entrance and keep taking left paths until you reach a single throne in a blood-spattered room. Examine the floor near the unlit fire pit on the right for the ruby (ruby is not always flawless).
- Easily found Flawless Ruby is near Reachwater Rock, if the stream is followed that exits the cave you'll come across a rowboat. In that boat, amongst other things, is a flawless ruby.
- If you have Prowler's Profit, you'll be drowning in flawless gems of every type.
- A fixed flawless ruby can be found during the Hail Sithis! quest. On the Katariah you can obtain it in the Emperors room (in the same room as his bed) on the table just in front of his bed. Another good method for finding one is, if you are in the Thieves Guild, take a fishing job from Delvin and a Shill job from Vex until you get one.
- Also, the hidden chests in Dawnstar, Whiterun and Windhelm may contain one if you are at a high enough level.
- If you have become the guild master for the Thieve's Guild, then you may get one in the tribute chest.
- It is possible to find a flawless ruby on Mjoll the Lioness. Ask her to trade with you and take it from her inventory.
- There are two in the arch-mage's room at the College of Winterhold in the safe.
- A Giant will sometimes drop flawless gems as a rare drop if you're a high enough level.
- One can be found on Mercer Frey during the mission Blindsighted
- Another one can be found in Movarth's Lair when looting the master vampire.
The Silver Ingot and Vampire Dust can easily be obtained by doing the companion questline. The members of the The Silver Hand often carry these. If, however, you do not wish to embark upon an entire questline to get these items, they can, along with the deathbell, be purchased in shops throughout Skyrim.
Once all necessary ingredients have been gathered, return to the shrine and inhale the fumes. Peryite will enter conversation with the player. He will give you a task to kill his current overseer, Orchendor, who has forgotten his duty to Peryite. He will also state that you will replace Orchendor as his new champion. Orchendor is a mage (fire/ice) who resides in Dwemer underground fortress called Bthardamz. It will be quite a challenge to find him there, because Bthardamz consists of a few levels and areas filled with Afflicted (minions of Peryite that Orchendor guides) and Dwemer Automatons. However, the article on Bthardamz provides a good guide to navigating the dungeon.
On your way to Orchendor, you may find the Afflicted's Note, which says that Orchendor has gone down to the 'Aerdrome.' There is no place named Aerdrome in Bthardamz. Instead, what is meant is the Bthardamz Arcanex. At the Arcanex, Orchendor is guarded by numerous Dwemer Automatons, including a Dwarven Centurion. Fight them or sneak past them, depending upon your abilities. Orchendor is in the large room past the centurion. He deals considerable Destruction damage and is completely immune to fire, frost, and shock spells, as well as absorption effects. He is capable of teleporting and will often do so up to the upper tiers of the room. Physical weapons are recommended to slay him, and archery is useful to be able to continue attacking him as he teleports. Once he is defeated, gather his valuables and loot, including the key to the Bthardamz Elevator. Exit using the elevator to avoid to retrace your long journey through Bthardamz.
Return to Peryite, who will reward you with the Spellbreaker.
- After you give all the acquired items to Kesh, you can pick his pocket and get all the items back before he created the fumes. This doesn't interrupt the quest because he is still able to create the fumes (even without those ingredients), and the Dragonborn is still able to proceed with the quest.
- Bthardamz may have a bugged floor, in which the player falls to the door leading into the lower parts of the dungeon. Try using whirlwind shout to get to the other side.
The room before encounter with
- Any follower can fall through, rendering them lost.
If the player talks to Kesh while he is creating the fumes, the quest will not be updated.This may cause the trophy/achievement "Oblivion Walker" unobtainable,since the player cannot obtain Spellbeaker.
- Update: You can fix this by killing Kesh, taking the ingredients, and activating the cauldron yourself
- The Spellbreaker is a shield and is most often added without the echo-text telling you it has been added to your inventory, even though it is. Check your inventory properly.
- If you give the required items to Kesh while he is at the alchemy table, the quest sometimes does not update. Note, the cooking pot may also trigger this as I have given him the items and he walked to the cauldron but nothing occurred. I had to load a previous save and return to get him to work properly.
- After gathering all items and the quest says to give them, you don't have the choice of giving them to Kesh. (Killing Kesh should do the trick)
- If you collect all items and do not have them in your inventory when you give to Kesh you cant proceed with the rest of the quest.
- The Spellbreaker is simply not given after the quest is completed.
Behind the scenes
- Unless otherwise stated, the information above was obtained from in-game play or from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Creation Kit. 
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)