The Price of Knowledge is a Temple quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. After being inducted into the School of Julianos, the Agent is sent to kill a former protege of the School who has forsaken their methods.
- Speak with a Missionary of the School of Julianos.
- Journey to and enter the dungeon specified.
- Search for and kill the protege, a Nightblade.
- Return to the Missionary before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
After completing some minor quests for the School of Julianos, the Agent will be asked to conduct a special task by one of the School's Missionaries. The Missionary will reveal that a "prodigal" member has abandoned the School, and has now begun conducting research of their own under the guise of a nightblade. The Agent is duly tasked with ending the nightblade's life, right in the middle of their private "laboratory".
An Endangering EducationEdit
The nightblade's "laboratory" is, in fact, one of the Iliac Bay's many dungeons, and features many of the generic creatures found in any other. Entering and then searching the dungeon is they only way of finding the nightblade, although it is likely that there will be several similar nightblades within the dungeon.
The Agent will be informed of the target's death when a message appears, at which point the Agent must escape the dungeon and return to the Missionary to complete the quest.
The Missionary will reward the Agent with a random amount of , if they return before the time limit expires. The success or failure of the Agent in undertaking the quest will also affect their reputation in the Temple:
|The Price of Knowledge - 00b00y00|
The School of Julianos in [town] has hired me to kill a prodigal Nightblade of their temple, [nightblade's name]. I have [x] days to get to [his/her] hideout, [dungeon], and back to the School.
- Although the quest is theoretically set in a "laboratory", any one of Daggerfall's dungeon designs may be used.
- NPCs will have a variety of responses relating to the quest when spoken to regarding any news:
- "I hear there's a nightblade in [dungeon], selling spells for money."
- "Renegade spellcasters are very dangerous. I hope they get that Nightblade."
- "They finally got that Nightblade. You can't have undisciplined mages loose."
- "Pity about them catching that Nightblade. I hear he had a lot of juicy dirt."
- "[Nightblade's name] has supposedly moved on, still selling spells for money."
- "I hear the School of Julianos has unleashed the Knights Mentor after someone."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Temples|
|Temples||Akatosh Chantry • Order of Arkay • House of Dibella • School of Julianos • Temple of Kynareth • Benevolence of Mara • Temple of Stendarr • Resolution of Z'en|
|Templar Orders||Order of the Hour • Knights of the Circle • Order of the Lily • Knights Mentor • Kynaran Order • Maran Knights • Crusaders • Knights of Iron|
|Non-member Quests||The Healing • The Spook • The Stolen Item • An Errand|
|Member Quests||The Haunted House • The Obsessed Child • The Missing Scholar • The Insane Priest • Hunt for Undead • The Heretic • The Cursed Weapon • The Expiatory Sacrifice • A Delivery • The Relic • The Rite of Atonement • The Great Evil|
|Unique Quests||Avenge the Dragons • The Desecrated Temple • Desired Artwork • The Price of Knowledge • The Arm of Fury • A Powerful Spirit • A Special Plant • The Bounty|