|The Silence Has Been Broken|
The Ragged Flagon
|Prerequisite||Whispers In the Dark|
|Next Quest||Bound Until Death|
This quest begins once the Dragonborn complete the Dark Brotherhood Quest Whispers In the Dark and the two side contracts (it may be offered if they return to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary after only completing one of the two offered side contracts), and after they speak with Astrid.
The next time they visit the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, Astrid stops them to talk. Although she isn’t sure what’s happening with you and the voices inside your head, she feels it would be beneficial for you to complete the liaison with the contact the Night Mother mentioned to you. You’re to set off for Volunruud, a crypt to the northeast, at your earliest convenience.
Afterward, conclude any business you may have with your side contracts by visiting Nazir. Talk to the Brotherhood members about this quest if you wish, and then set off.
- Objective: Speak with Amaund Motierre
- Objective: Talk to Rexus
- Target: Inside Volunruud
Travel to the earthen mound with the entrance over the embankment guarded by standing stones, and ready your weapon for a small altercation with Draugr warriors. Although there are many rooms and tunnels throughout this complex, you need only reach the bottom of the first set of stairs, turn left, and walk southwest to a small antechamber with Draugr corpses among the ferns (There may be several high-level Draugr deathlords, one can find ebony weapons on their bodies).
In the room beyond is Amaund Motierre and his bodyguard, Rexus. Motierre’s revelations are astonishing; he wishes to hire the Dark Brotherhood to remove several people, culminating with an assassination of the Emperor of Tamriel. He ends his diatribe by motioning to Rexus, who strides forward to hand over the following items:
- Items gained: Sealed Letter and Jeweled Amulet
- Objective: Deliver the letter and amulet to Astrid
- Target: Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary
Motierre explains the Amulet can be used for purchasing necessities for the forthcoming contracts, and the Sealed Letter is an agreement with the Dark Brotherhood; both are for Astrid. Both characters are essential to the game and if you are fighting for the Empire in the civil war it is not possible to kill either Amaund or Rexus.
Optionally investigate further into Volunruud, then exit and return to Astrid. She’s understandably incredulous. Show her the items, and she begins to believe. Surely the Night Mother wouldn’t misdirect the Brotherhood....
For the moment, Astrid will take the letter, while you journey to Riften and locate a fence and friend of the Brotherhood called Delvin Mallory, who should be able to appraise the Amulet. He’s a trusted ally and is holed up in the underbelly of the town.
- Objective: Show the amulet to Delvin Mallory
- Target: The Ragged Flagon, inside the Ratway in Riften
On The FenceEdit
Trek to Riften and find the entrance to the Ratway, by the water’s edge underneath the Scorched Hammer. Navigate the maze of sewer tunnels until you find the door into the Ragged Flagon, (Home of the Thieves Guild) and then tell Delvin Mallory that the Dark Brotherhood requires his services. He asks how Astrid is, and then you hand over the Jeweled Amulet (via conversation rather than inventory access).
Mallory inspects the Amulet and identifies it as belonging to the Emperor’s Elder Council. Although worried about who the Brotherhood had to murder to obtain it, when you ask him to purchase it, he eagerly hands over a letter of credit to cover any expenses Astrid requires.
- Item gained: Letter Of Credit
- Objective: Report back to Astrid
- Target: Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary
Back in the Sanctuary, once you explain the credit Delvin Mallory just opened, your only reward from Astrid are the beginnings of Amaund Motierre’s most devious of plans, which are now being put into action: She hopes you have something fancy to wear; you’re going to a wedding...
- Note: Astrid will chide you for sloppiness if you chose to break the seal on Amaund Motierre's letter before giving it to her, and will start with the next quest with "As I'm sure you already know from reading the letter..."
- If you have had earlier dealings with Delvin Mallory or the Thieves Guild, his address to you will be slightly different. He will mention that you are there on Dark Brotherhood business and he will say you're "making friends all over".
- If you did not complete the first set of contracts, then Nazir will tell you that you need to finish the other contracts before he gives you any more.
- Due to faction allegiances and crime, Rexus may attack you when meeting with Amaund Motierre in Volunruud. This may also be caused by the presence of a companion. The simplest way to interact with him in such a scenario is with a calm spell. To try to avoid it you may dismiss your companion before you enter. You may also attack Rexus until he is on his knees as an essential quest character, than repeatedly press the action button on him as he gets up to receive the items. Alternatively, if you stay close to the left door as you enter the room, you will remain out of sight of Rexus. Amaund will still activate and walk towards you. When he asks Rexus for the items, immediately back out of the room and close the door. You will receive the items through the door.
- You can also receive the items if you lure Rexus out of the small room, exit Volunruud, then go back in while sneaking.
- If you have started the civil war questline for the Stormcloaks but have not finished the Battle for Solitude, Astrid will not give you the next quest.