|The Straw that Broke|
If spoken to, Narfi will ramble about the death of his parents and the departure of his sister Reyda, whom he believes is still alive and will return. He mentions that Wilhelm, the innkeeper, said Reyda would come back.
After talking to Narfi, enter Vilemyr Inn and speak to Wilhelm. He will tell the Dragonborn that Reyda used to collect ingredients on the small islands east of Ivarstead, and that she is most likely dead. This information can be extremely misleading, as Reyda's remains are not actually located on any of these islands. In fact, Reyda's remains are at the bottom of the river just southeast of Ivarstead, near the bridge. The Dragonborn may search for her remains by using the spell Clairvoyance.
On her remains is a satchel containing some ingredients, as well as her necklace. Bringing the necklace to Narfi will finish the quest. The Dragonborn will be rewarded with three random alchemical ingredients from a small list that includes items such as Nirnroot, Void Salts, Human Flesh, a Human Heart, and a Daedra Heart (extremely rare).
This section contains bugs related to The Straw that Broke. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- The quest marker may not appear, which can make finding Reyda's remains quite difficult. If the marker doesn't appear, go to the middle of the bridge, look east, and jump into the river. Dive down and Reyda's skeleton should be visible right away.
- Solution: It has been patched on the version 22.214.171.124 of the game.
- Taking Reyda's necklace from her remains before starting the quest can make it impossible to complete, or in Narfi speaking of the quest as if it had already been started.
- One solution to this problem is to type "player.drop 663DA 1" into the console. The necklace drops, and the quest can be resumed upon recollecting from the ground.
- If the Dark Brotherhood quest to kill Narfi has begun, when speaking to Narfi, only an option to mock him before he dies is present—there is no option to show him the necklace. A workaround exists in the form of a console command: enter "/player.placeatme 136c0" (without the quotations) to spawn a clone of Narfi, which can be killed to complete the contract. The original Narfi will then offer the correct dialogue options.
- Solution: After installing 1.05 update, the game data files need to be deleted, so create two saves. Once the game data files are deleted, run Skyrim, reinstall, and the glitch should be fixed. Reyda's remains should be accessible.
- The satchel may appear invisible, making it harder to locate when searching Reyda's skeleton. Even if invisible, the dragonborn may interact with it, looting Reyda's necklace. It is located near Reyda's left hand, close to her waist.
- Narfi's house. Not a gameplay bug, but "physics" is backwards at the bridge where Reyda's Remains are found. If left to drift along with the water in the river, the Dragonborn drift away from the waterfall, instead of towards, above