The Traitor is a Knight Order quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. The Agent is asked to track down a traitor to one of the Knight Orders of the Iliac Bay, in hopes of raising their own reputation within said Order.
Having escaped from Privateer's Hold, the Agent may wander around the Iliac Bay freely. A potential source of income, and reputation, can be found by working for one of the ten Knight Orders, which serve ten regions across the Bay. In order to join an Order, however, the Agent will have to prove their abilities by completing some "mundane" tasks.
- Speak with a Quester from a Knight Order.
- Journey to and enter the dungeon specified.
- Track down and kill the nightblade.
- Return to the Quester before the time limit expires.
Despite being unaligned with the Knight Order in question, a Quester from said offer will offer the Agent to improve their standing with the Knights. The Quester reveals that a former member of the Order has betrayed them, and must be killed, for "Death is a fair punishment for treason." The Agent is therefore tasked with tracking down and killing the traitor, who has fled to a nearby dungeon.
From Knight to NightbladeEdit
The traitor, now posing as a nightblade, can be found somewhere within the aforementioned dungeon. The Agent will have to fight their way through the dungeon to find them, although with several other nightblades roaming the area, it will be unclear which one is the target.
Ultimately, a message will appear to confirm that the target nightblade has been killed by the Agent's efforts when one of the nightblades dies. The Agent must escape the dungeon and return to the Quester before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
Other than a one in three chance of obtaining a map, revealing the location of a random dungeon, there will be no reward given to the Agent by the Quester. However, the Agent will get either positive or negative reputation gains depending on their success or failure:
|The Traitor - b0c00y05|
[Quester's name] of [town] has sent me to find and slay a nightblade called [traitor's name] who is slinking around in [dungeon]. I have [x] days to accomplish this.
- The Member-only quest "Retribution" is almost identical to this quest.
- The only difference between them, other than accessibility, are some specific dialogue changes.
- NPCs will make a variety of comments referencing the quest when asked for any news:
- "That nightblade ran off to [dungeon] like the hounds of hell were behind him."
- "[Quester's name] can't just let [traitor's name] go after what [he/she] did to the knightly order."
- "[Traitor's name]'s story just proves it. You don't play around with the [knightly order]."
- "I always thought the Order would be more merciful to a dolt like [traitor's name]."
- "[Traitor's name] is apparently tougher than [Quester's name] thought. What an escape."
- "[Traitor's name] has moved north I hear, but [his/her] memory still plagues the order."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Knight Orders|
|Allies of Daggerfall||Knights of the Dragon • Knights of the Owl|
|Allies of Wayrest||Knights of the Flame • Knights of the Rose • Order of the Raven|
|Allies of Sentinel||Host of the Horn • Knights of the Hawk • Knights of the Wheel • Order of the Candle • Knights of the Scarab|
|Non-member Quests||The Traitor • The Hunter • Band of Orcs • Pest Control|
|Member Quests||Rescue a Princess • Retribution • Crazed Orc Mercenary • The Orcish Hoard • The Orc Raids • Giant Raiding • Banish the Ghost • Eternal Rest|
|Elite Member Quests||The Dragonslayer • Invasion from Oblivion • Artifact of Power • The Army of the Undead • The Lost Artifact|