Thonnir is married to Laelette, who has gone missing. Speaking to him after investigating Hroggar's house will take "Laid to Rest" to the next step. Following the quest line will reveal Laelette was turned into a vampire by Alva, a woman who was turned into a vampire by Movarth. Alva seduced Hroggar, a widower whose wife and child, Helgi, were victims of a house fire. Laelette attempted to turn Helgi, but failed and Helgi was left to burn in the house.
After Laelette dies, Thonnir denies that Alva could have turned her, stating that Lalette must have "met her fate out in the marsh." Towards the end of "Laid to Rest" Thonnir will aid the Dragonborn in killing the master vampire while the rest of his companions will cower away.
If the Dragonborn asks Thonnir to aid on the quest, but does not complete it, Thonnir will join the Dragonborn as an immortal helper. This does not take up a companion slot.
Thonnir is one of the "strong citizens" sent by the Jarl to accompany the player character to Movarth's Lair.
No need for wizardsEdit
Jorgen: "What's the Jarl going to do about it?"
Thonnir: "How are we supposed to feel safe in our own homes?"
Aslfur: "Please, enough already! I have told Jarl Igrod of your concerns. She'll look after you all. Please, go back to your business."
Jorgen: "We have no need for wizards in our midst!"
Thonnir: "Morthal has enough problems as it is!"
Jorgen: "Bah, its no use. Let's get back to it then."
Lami: "Um...this place looks dangerous."
Jorgen: "And it looks creepy, too."
Benor: "And its full of vampires?"
Thonnir: "Cowards! We must kill the vampires! We have to make them pay!"
Lurbuk: "Of course. But why not let him/her [referencing player character] go in first?"
Thonnir is one of the quest characters that can be exploited to follow the Dragonborn throughout Skyrim along with a follower of your choice. It should however be noted that while he will indeed follow and fight for you, he cannot be commanded or equipped (a shield and any weapon can be planted on him), neither will he enter sneak or sheath his weapon. Although he is not particularly strong, he cannot be killed, making him quite useful as a decoy.
(After Thonnir sees Laelette the Vampire)
- It's a possibility we can't ignore. "No! You're wrong. You must be wrong. Laelette may have met her fate out in the marsh. I refuse to believe Alva had anything to do with this. There is no way you can prove it to the Jarl."
- "Keep your wits about you. Morthal's hardly a safe place."
- "I'm just a poor man trying to make a living. I'd leave Morthal were it in my power."
- "This damned war has cost us... me... everything."
- "My boy's to grow up without a mother? What life is that? It's not right, I tell you."
- "Some say the swamp took her. Part of me wishes it were that simple." ―During Laid to Rest
- When talking to Hroggar during the quest "Laid to Rest," he says that Thonnir used to beat Laelette, his wife.[source?]
- If Thonnir is exploited as a follower and the Dragonborn transforms into a werewolf, Thonnir will become hostile on sight regardless of where the Dragonborn transforms.