Wikia

Elder Scrolls

Marriage in Elder Scrolls Online?

  • Should There be marriage in Elder Scrolls Online?

    I think that you should be allowed to marry NPC's as well as other other online players.

    What do you think?

      Loading editor
    • probaly not

        Loading editor
    • It'd b gud to see an Emperor n Empress as well as marriages of convenience. I think it'd be gr8 on Online.

        Loading editor
    • Suppose but what happens if lets say me and you want to marry the same npc or user  What would happen?

        Loading editor
    • Marriage between players seems alright... But I'd choose an enchanted ring over my wedding band which might upset certain parties. and then their are joint acounts to set up, shopping disputes, household chore arguements, the nervous laughter at neighbborhood parties when you are trying to prove your still happy together. Now lets add the online theme, who get the epic loot disputes, adopting pixel children and who is gonna take them to school (fast travel not optional). 

      Yes they should ruin the game with in game mariage!  

        Loading editor
    • Alduin1996 wrote:
      Suppose but what happens if lets say me and you want to marry the same npc or user  What would happen?

      A duel to the death perhaps?

        Loading editor
    • That should be a welcome addition to the game

        Loading editor
    • The most you'll see are the RPers performing in-game marriages, I would think.  A hard-mechanic for marriage in an MMO just isn't reasonable.  They should, however, allow you to have a character bio-sheet that you can modify from time to time.  I think they should script it, however, with limited things.  There's nothing I despise more than "snowflake RP".

        Loading editor
    • PsijicThief wrote:
      The most you'll see are the RPers performing in-game marriages, I would think.  A hard-mechanic for marriage in an MMO just isn't reasonable.  They should, however, allow you to have a character bio-sheet that you can modify from time to time.  I think they should script it, however, with limited things.  There's nothing I despise more than "snowflake RP".

      Wouldn't be cool if you had to duel another character to marry to the girl or boy of your dreams. In my opinion it would make the game a bit more  entertaining.

        Loading editor
    • I think they're trying their hardest to keep PvP in most aspects to Cyrodil.  World-PvP and balancing for it is what started the hardships in WoW, and that's directly from the devs at Blizzard.  If they had not instituted World-PvP and Arena PvP, then ballancing wouldn't be so difficult.  That would mean they could spend more time on the things they wanted to, and in turn make the game better.  WoW was a lore-based game above all else at the start, and large-scale player vs player content gets in the way of that.  ESO is trying to contain all of the player vs player content and still give it a story, so it doesn't feel disconnected from the rest of the game.  Granted, I'm sure you and I could have a duel outside of a town somewhere without calling it true PvP, and this may be what you're talking about.  In which case I would make reference again to the RPers, two RPers want to marry the same person they can duel and call it done.  All of the base mechanics will most likely be there, I just don't see them spending time on making a true and hardened marriage mechanic for an MMO.

        Loading editor
    • Alduin1996 wrote:
      Suppose but what happens if lets say me and you want to marry the same npc or user  What would happen?

      For the npc you would both have to do a quest and whoever does it first wins.For user the other user would decide.

        Loading editor
    • Dwarven Dragon Hunter wrote:
      Alduin1996 wrote:
      Suppose but what happens if lets say me and you want to marry the same npc or user  What would happen?
      For the npc you would both have to do a quest and whoever does it first wins.For user the other user would decide.

      And so after you're married to that NPC because you did the quest and got done, what happens when a week later I come along and want to marry the same NPC that you have already quested for and won the right to marry?  You can't exclude NPCs from everyone in an MMO.  You would have to make copies of that NPC for me to marry after you married him/her and so the next person who wants to marry them can.  Thus ruining the point of having special and unique NPCs.  

      If all of you are so hell-bent on this marriage thing, then I say make it a non-combat pet.  WoW has squires and such that are companions or pets not used for combat.  They are mostly asthetic and some of them even have vendor abilities or dialouge.  So make several models of wives and husbands that can be named and you can only have one of that "class" of non-combat pet.  This allows for you to pick out your spouse, maybe even dress them a little, name them so they're semi-unique, and nobody gets to break the game.

        Loading editor
    • Um Psijic theif can you elaborate a bit more on the World-Pvp ruining WOW? I for one played WOW for many years (I started a bit late though, end of BC start of WOTLK more or less) and one of my favorite aspects was World-Pvp. I thought that there wasn't enough of it after BC. And by cataclysm its pretty much extinct. I also love Lore so i'm not sure what you mean when you say one destroyed the other.

        Loading editor
    • They weren't able to focus on the story because everytime they tried to balance anything PvP it changed the balance of the PvE world.  It was less the world PvP that truly ruined started the downfall of WoW and more Arenas because it made balancing harder.  The stories started to suffer because once Activision took over they wanted to make WoW and E-Sport and they started the Arena Tournament Realms.  It is impossible to balance a game around both PvP and PvE, you can only ever have one or the other.  What they should have done, and this partly from their devs, is have two completely different set of rules.  All of the PvE rules for cool downs, spell durations, etc. should have applied for world PvP, while keeping a seperate set of rules for the instanced PvP.  An example would be the mechanics for Sap or Polymorph.  Blizzard devs openly admit that balancing PvP took a front burner and sometiems stories got taken off the stove completely.  Their lore just wasn't as rich and well thought out later on.  It's the kind of thing that made it so you HAD to complete everything in every zone on every character, ever time, in Mists of Pandaria.  It's a little silly that I have to work practically all the quests to reach 90 then work all the factions to get gear, especially when systems from BC and Wrath worked just fine.

      I played WoW from the middle of Vanilla, and I have seen a steady decline in story focus, quest focus, and urge of exploration.  Whereas PvP focus has at the very least not suffered, and in some cases increased.  It makes for a game that isn't what it started as.  Think about if Skyrim had a series of patches that started to make it focus less on story and exploration and more on just killing wolves and giants for gold.  It would be subtle and slow, but after two or three years there would be no need to even start new quests.  It's a bit of a stretch as far as examples go, but it's the closest I can equate it to within this community.

        Loading editor
    • On the original topic, they confirmed at e3 you will be able to  have ceremonies for long term commitment with other players that will give you a ring that increases your experience when you group with them. You will be able to have multiple rings but it will be expensive.

        Loading editor
    • So 2E Tamriel practices polygomy?

        Loading editor
    • Its not really marriage, its more of committed friendship, it does not have to be with a player who is playing a character of the opposite sex. Consider it extreme bromance.

        Loading editor
    • Oh I know, I read the thing on it.  I was just being humorous . . . bisexual polygomy is no laughing matter, though, I apologize.

        Loading editor
    • They have already mentioned that they will be doing a "marriage" feature that will give two players the approtunity to get a boost when working together.  For me personally this is great since My husband and I play MMO's together, being rewarded for that will be awesome

        Loading editor
    • As my girlfriend and I play, she will definitely enjoy this.  And it will help keep her up with some of my characters . . . she's more social than me and therefore I play more than she does, lol.  WoW's boosts did great things to get her up to speed, too.  So I think at this point, any game that doesn't offer a little help (not as much WoW, that was horrid) isn't going to do as well.  The number of gamer girlfriends is on the rise, so we have to help them catch up to speed with those of us that have been in for a while.

        Loading editor
    • How about you can marry another user only. No npc's because they cannot think for themselves, for example. If 2 people wanna marry the same npc then the npc would only go to the one that asked first. What would be more "fair" is to let user's only marry user's so there will be less of who is first and the more of a matter of choice. Sounds more Elder Scrolls Online to me

        Loading editor
    • Contrib 50.126, double back and read some of the posts between here and the top.  Also, check out the newer information, a 'civil union' of sorts is already announced.

        Loading editor
    • I rather like that idea. It would be an interesting idea.

        Loading editor
    • I could Marry my Girlfriend!, wish i had a girlfriend....... :[

        Loading editor
    • How about this? If 2 users were leaders of an opposite factions they could do a political marriage and unite their factions.

        Loading editor
    • Probably not but if it is it would only let you marry other players or some crap like that because thousands will play ESO and i doubt their would be enough NPC's to handle all the marrying 

        Loading editor
    • @ Gengerninja (great name, btw):  Read other posts on this thread, it's been confirmed with details.

      @ Contrib 89.97:  As no player will likely ever be the head of any faction, the idea is flawed at the core.  However, if you wanted to make guild-based allegiences in this manner it would be possible.  It would be up to you, the player, to keep it going as there is no confirmed mechanic for it (and I doubt there will be one).

        Loading editor
    • I agree, it would be futile for developers to even attempt some sort of marriage for NPCs, it is much wiser for them to just stick to player-player marriages/unions. 

      Of course, based on what's been said about people with the rings getting an experience boost together, I'm predicting clans/guilds are going to use that to get an unfair advantage over people. I quit my clan on LotR Online because my clanmates were doing that, and ruined my attempt to RP.

        Loading editor
    • The abuse factor will largely depend on the mechanics behind how the boost is given and the degree to which you are boosted.  If we're talking about something that only works when the two rings (let's say you can buy or craft them only in sets that get your name on them) are in a group and/or close enough proximity then the boost is applied, then that wouldn't be too bad.  Also if the boost is no more than 10% XP buff, that's nothing compared to how much my gear gained me in WoW at the end.  Then we would need something that doesn't stack, or at least not too much.  Say in a group (five people I would assume) you all have rings together, but you can only stack up to 20% buff?  These are viable mechanics that would allow for the buff to serve its purpose without ruining gameplay. 

        Loading editor
    • Very wise. Zenimax should recruit you as a consultant for Lore and gameplay purposes, haha.

        Loading editor
    • I've been in enough MMOs, done enough betas, and abused my fair share of exploits . . . makes it easy to spot it.

        Loading editor
    • PsijicThief wrote:
      I've been in enough MMOs, done enough betas, and abused my fair share of exploits . . . makes it easy to spot it.

      The one beta I ever participated in.... Word Dynamo by Dictionary.com

      I never hear about betas until it's too late to sign up.

        Loading editor
    • Firefall is in open beta right now, it's pretty fun.  It's not an RPG, it's an MMOFPS, but I'm enjoying it.  War Thunder is also in beta, it's a WW2 based flight combat sim, they'll be adding ground and naval battle soon they say.  You should also check out Star Citizen, it's crowd funded and being developed by Chris Roberts (the father of all space combat games) and if you back them for like 35 bucks you get guaranteed alpha and beta access.

        Loading editor
    • They've confirmed marriage between other players.

        Loading editor
    • Great 

        Loading editor
    • I think they should allow marriage between two online players.  That would be pretty cool.

        Loading editor
    • 198.133.11.31 wrote:
      I think they should allow marriage between two online players.  That would be pretty cool.


      Please read prior replies to this thread, it may benefit you with great knowledge in this line of thought and ponderment.  They have confirmed marriage and even given some details on it.  Scroll up, my friend, scroll up.

        Loading editor
    • I wonder If we the players could marry each other!

        Loading editor
    • Spyrocks wrote:
      I wonder If we the players could marry each other!


      Oh, you've got to be doing this on purpose now, right?

        Loading editor
    • Seriously Is that a bad idea for any of us to get married with eachother.

        Loading editor
    • Spyrocks wrote:
      Seriously Is that a bad idea for any of us to get married with eachother.

      Read up ... it's happening!

        Loading editor
    • YES!!!

        Loading editor
    • Who could I marry?. So many possibilities

        Loading editor
    • inb4 spyrocks marries everyone.

        Loading editor
    • LOL

        Loading editor
    • As for abuse I think it will be desgined so only two players can get the bonues when togther.

        Loading editor
    • They said that they arent going to have it (at least on release date). I cant remember the reference to that though - as it was one of the references midway through last year sometime.

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      They said that they arent going to have it (at least on release date). I cant remember the reference to that though - as it was one of the references midway through last year sometime.

      The last I had heard, they were going through with it.  However, I haven't been following it near as closely with some of the recent announcements - even before business model.

        Loading editor
    • Rukathesoldier wrote:
      inb4 spyrocks marries everyone.

      I would marry really cool and badass females.

        Loading editor
    • Spyrocks wrote:
      Rukathesoldier wrote:
      inb4 spyrocks marries everyone.
      I would marry really cool and badass females.

      You never know. Many guys use female characters to look at their bodies or for cheap marriage bonuses. You never know, man. For all you know, you virtual girlfriend is a fat, gross man. I would encourage it be done for exploitative purposes only

        Loading editor
    • PsijicThief wrote:
      Timeoin wrote:
      They said that they arent going to have it (at least on release date). I cant remember the reference to that though - as it was one of the references midway through last year sometime.
      The last I had heard, they were going through with it.  However, I haven't been following it near as closely with some of the recent announcements - even before business model.


      Yeah, they said they would, but not in the initial release.

        Loading editor
    • 202.156.8.15 wrote:
      Spyrocks wrote:
      Rukathesoldier wrote:
      inb4 spyrocks marries everyone.
      I would marry really cool and badass females.
      You never know. Many guys use female characters to look at their bodies or for cheap marriage bonuses. You never know, man. For all you know, you virtual girlfriend is a fat, gross man. I would encourage it be done for exploitative purposes only

      Thats a nasty thought to have in my head,just gross unless If I here there voice on the headphones or something like that but thank you for warning me about that.

        Loading editor
    • It is true. Both TombRaiser and EbonySkyrim are not actually real people, because as we know, Women dont exist on the internet.

        Loading editor
    • Thats just sad

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      It is true. Both TombRaiser and EbonySkyrim are not actually real people, because as we know, Women dont exist on the internet.

      Aren't Admin supposed to be "role models"

        Loading editor
    • I dont know whats a role model anymore.

        Loading editor
    • But lets stick to topic.

        Loading editor
    • I was joking, Alduin. :)

        Loading editor
    • Anyone who knows me will know that the only times I'm ever really serious are when its necessary for me to be serious. (Which, incidentally, is why I always end up unintentionally causing mischief, like shutting down the site for a day (for the anti SOPA thing), having an april fools day joke backfire majorly, or things like this).

      But anyways - back on topic.

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      I was joking, Alduin. :)

      I know you were. 

      Anyway I think marriage in ESO will be a nice touch but hard to implement.

        Loading editor
    • Well, with the method they're saying, it's not technically marriage.  It's more of a "commited partnership" of some sort.  The last I read on it said that you and a fellow ESOer will share a pair of rings, this will give the two of you a boost.  I don't remember seeing if the boost is sustained or only when you're running together, but I would assume it's the latter.  So as far as the actual "marriage" goes, it will be something left up to the RP portion of the community to make that happen - much like the old days of EverQuest.

        Loading editor
    • PsijicThief wrote:
      Well, with the method they're saying, it's not technically marriage.  It's more of a "commited partnership" of some sort.  The last I read on it said that you and a fellow ESOer will share a pair of rings, this will give the two of you a boost.  I don't remember seeing if the boost is sustained or only when you're running together, but I would assume it's the latter.  So as far as the actual "marriage" goes, it will be something left up to the RP portion of the community to make that happen - much like the old days of EverQuest.

      So... it will have a more permanent legal status than the couples getting married this month in ACT in Australia will have.

        Loading editor
    • Touche, lol.  Fair enough, similar statistics in USA ... worldwide, from what I understand.  I think it's a decent idea, and I like that they aren't trying to stand in the way of the RP community while doing it.

        Loading editor
    • If there is a marriage feature, you probably will not be able to marry PC's just other characters, but there should be an option for divorce! xD

        Loading editor
    • MidnightDiamond wrote:
      If there is a marriage feature, you probably will not be able to marry PC's just other characters, but there should be an option for divorce! xD

      Note to self... Don't marry MidnightDiamond in-game, then. They just want to divorce you so they get half your stuff :P

        Loading editor
    • LOL

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      MidnightDiamond wrote:
      If there is a marriage feature, you probably will not be able to marry PC's just other characters, but there should be an option for divorce! xD
      Note to self... Don't marry MidnightDiamond in-game, then. They just want to divorce you so they get half your stuff :P

      You know it xD!

        Loading editor
    • You can always role-play marrying other players. Not that I will be doing that of course.

        Loading editor
    • It is a good idea to marry other players. However,if I were to marry someone,it would be a girl I know in real life.

        Loading editor
    • Xageto wrote:
      It is a good idea to marry other players. However,if I were to marry someone,it would be a girl I know in real life.


      Be careful.

      I have heard that if you do that then it leads to kids, and having to stop being as full time on the wiki! (In short... its a trap!)

        Loading editor
    • Timeoin wrote:
      Xageto wrote:
      It is a good idea to marry other players. However,if I were to marry someone,it would be a girl I know in real life.

      Be careful.

      I have heard that if you do that then it leads to kids, and having to stop being as full time on the wiki! (In short... its a trap!)

      I but it brings more could be wikians into the world. =P

        Loading editor
    • ScholarOfTheScrolls wrote:
      Timeoin wrote:
      Xageto wrote:
      It is a good idea to marry other players. However,if I were to marry someone,it would be a girl I know in real life.

      Be careful.

      I have heard that if you do that then it leads to kids, and having to stop being as full time on the wiki! (In short... its a trap!)

      I but it brings more could be wikians into the world. =P

      One so far... another one in May.

      I was on my way to catching up to Js once upon a time. (He was up to 50k and I was on 30k). Ah well.

        Loading editor
    • As of right now there is marraige and polygomy and its all way less complicated than you guys are making it.........

        Loading editor
    • We're a bunch of super Elder Scrolls fans. Of course we are. We once had an argument about the punctuation rules on an imaginary language. :P

        Loading editor
    • 66.249.74.244
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki