Wikia

Elder Scrolls

Vahlok: Did he have a mask?

  • Did Vahlok the Jailor originally have a mask? One can find a broken dragon priest mask in Solstheim, but there isn't anything I've found to confirm my suspicion. Is it possible that, while fighting Miraak, Vhalok lost his mask?

      Loading editor
    • Well Vahlok the Jailor was a bit of an odd Priest he was apparently a nice guy.

        Loading editor
    • yes, that may have caused the dragons to not give him a mask due to the potential of vahlok turning on them

        Loading editor
    • My theory is Vahlok was so powerful he did not need one. Also the reason he seemed "nice" is because perhaps he geuninely revered the dragons, unlike the others which most likely just did it for power. So he was probably considered a "tough but fair" somewhat-benevolent (compared to the others) dictator.

        Loading editor
    • Acording to the ancient Skaal basicly yes. Vahlok found out Miraak was going to betray the Dragons so he confronted him and they fought for days (this is how Solstheim became a island) before Vahlok could finish Miraak Mora took Mirrak. For his loyalty and bravery Vahlok was made ruler of Solstheim and swore to watch for Miraaks return. the skaal also say he was a wise and just leader.

      That is a legend though so may not be entirely true but by all acounts Vahlok was very loyal to the Dragons and powerful enough to put up a fight against Miraak.

        Loading editor
    • what i don't really understand, is why Vahlok tries to kill you when you find him

      aside from the obvious "you invaded my tomb so die" i can't think of why we can't be friends

      he beat Mirakk originally, so wouldn't he want to help us do it again

      on the other hand, i can't imagine that he has a ton of faith in Dragonborns as a whole, so maybe he wants to kill us and stop miraak from returning at all

      am i over-thinking this?

        Loading editor
    • 24.72.183.205 wrote:
      what i don't really understand, is why Vahlok tries to kill you when you find him

      It is possible that Vahlok senses the nature of the Dragonborn, even inside his sarcophagus.  Having fought a Dragonborn in his lifetime, and therefore recognizing the inherent power of such a person, perhaps Vahlok believed you were just as much of a threat to the world as Miraak once was - which, depending on the choices of your character, might not be so far off the mark.

        Loading editor
    • One can find a broken Dragon Priest mask? Where?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe his mask is Konahrik? I highly doubt it but it's a possibility.

        Loading editor
    • I put my vote on he was so powerful he dirm't heed a mask. After all, he did defeat the secind most p9werful dragonborn eithout a mask.

      -The Z Boss

        Loading editor
    • Spiegel1 wrote:

      24.72.183.205 wrote:
      what i don't really understand, is why Vahlok tries to kill you when you find him

      It is possible that Vahlok senses the nature of the Dragonborn, even inside his sarcophagus.  Having fought a Dragonborn in his lifetime, and therefore recognizing the inherent power of such a person, perhaps Vahlok believed you were just as much of a threat to the world as Miraak once was - which, depending on the choices of your character, might not be so far off the mark.

      Maybe he thought you were miraak...

        Loading editor
    • FishySalesman wrote:
      Maybe his mask is Konahrik? I highly doubt it but it's a possibility.

      Very, very doubtful, but anything is possible...

        Loading editor
    • Codysmit wrote: Did Vahlok the Jailor originally have a mask? One can find a broken dragon priest mask in Solstheim, but there isn't anything I've found to confirm my suspicion. Is it possible that, while fighting Miraak, Vhalok lost his mask?

      Could've been broken in his fight with Miraak thats what I always thought, but that raises the question of why the dragons wouldn't give him another one unless the enchantment of each mask could be done only once, either way Read [[1]] it should shed some light on the fight, and what happened

        Loading editor
    • 99.127.46.120 wrote:
      I put my vote on he was so powerful he dirm't heed a mask. After all, he did defeat the secind most p9werful dragonborn eithout a mask.

      -The Z Boss

      Do us all a favour and go learn how to type. ERRORS: 1. dirm't; 2. heed; 3. secind; 4. p9werful; 5. eithout

      Seriously?!

        Loading editor
    • I think masks are more like a gift from the dragons which show their rank in the Dragon Cult. As far as we know all the Dragon Priests with masks in Skyrim were High Priests. There are other, 'normal' priests we see in Skyrim who don't have a mask. So I guess that Vahlok was one of the normal priests who still fought against Miraak.

        Loading editor
    • If Vahlok was just a normal priest, it won't explain his seeminly insane magic powers when he fought Miraak (If you are NOT a DB and you just whipped a DB's butt I'd say you'll have to be pretty powerful). The dragons would have promoted him based on allegiance and power, which Vahlok both had, so he must have been pretty high up.

      I'd say the one where his mask got broken or he was so powerful he didn't need one seems pretty legit. Although, some masks are subpar, like Hevnoraak's mask

        Loading editor
    • -bump-

      I think due to how he was a friendly-ish priest and already powerful, the superiors didn't want to, and didn't need to give him extra power. 


      Vahlok is my favourite priest, and really should have been an ally to dragonborn. 

        Loading editor
    • I thought that it was broken by Miraak during their epic battle, as previous posters above have said that you are able to find a broken mask upon the island of Solstheim, perhaps Vahlok lost it during the battle. Also, I have yet to encounter Vahlok, yet I agree it would be cool to have a Dragon Priest as a friend. I do not agree with people who said he wasn't an important enough Priest to have a mask, as he had insane magical powers to the extent that he was able to "Whip a DB's butt and was not DB", as previous people have said. 

        Loading editor
    • I haven't fought Miraak yet, and I just took a look at the different mask benefits. It says Hevnoraak's mask gives the DB immunity to disease and poison. Would that make the DB immune to the poison from the Mora's Agony attack from Miraak's staff? I'm trying to prepare for the fight :)

        Loading editor
    • where the heck is the broken mask you guys are talking bout?

        Loading editor
    • Some of my other posts reveals I type this on a touch pad, so I don t evrn use an actual keyboard, abd I rush when I type, grammar nazi.

      -The Z Boss

        Loading editor
    • Here is my take on what happened; He had a mask, but it was a clown mask and no one liked it, so when he died his followers just threw it away. Which is why he attacks you when you enter his tomb because he is still mad about loosing his awesome clown mask. 

        Loading editor
    • As all the other Contributors have been saying... WHERE THE HELL IS THIS BROKEN MASK?!?!? PLUS... can we wear it cause that would be awesome.

        Loading editor
    • This "broken Mask" is nowhere. People are just theorizing that Vahlok's Mask broke, but there's no broken Mask in the Dragonborn DLC.

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake
      Pelinal Whitestrake removed this reply because:
      Inappropriate, didn't add anything to the discussion.
      15:13, February 14, 2014
      This reply has been removed
        Loading editor
    • I would like to point out that, in the full game of skyrim there are two preistless masks (konahrik and the wooden mask) and two maskless preists (vahlok and the one that konahrik summons). Logically the one that konahrik summons would be konahrik the preist, the wooden mask may belong to vahlok. I have forgotten my reasons for beliving this, someting about him being the guardian, and how he may have been guarding konahrik, and how that would make it impossible to reach konahrik if he was alive. It seemed much more likely when I remembered everything. Now start picking my theory to pieces.

      -A-Guy-Who's-Too-Lazy-Too-Make-An-Account-Just-Yet.

        Loading editor
    • Well here's the thing Vahlok is a guardian, but you have remember that solstiem and skyrim are separate and that even comes out in the mask styles

        Loading editor

    • A Wikia contributor 24.72.183.205what i don't really understand, is why Vahlok tries to kill you when you find him

      Don't forget he still served the dragons. there for he served alduin and the dragonborn killed that guy or is about to so it's very possible that he was rying to get some revenge. A Wikia contributor 218.186.252.200If Vahlok was just a normal priest, it won't explain his seeminly insane magic powers when he fought Miraak (If you are NOT a DB and you just whipped a DB's butt I'd say you'll have to be pretty powerful). The dragons would have promoted him based on allegiance and power, which Vahlok both had, so he must have been pretty high up.

      I'm not sure but i thing that all the dragonpreists where dragonborns. A Wikia contributor 24.125.90.204My theory is Vahlok was so powerful he did not need one. Also the reason he seemed "nice" is because perhaps he geuninely revered the dragons, unlike the others which most likely just did it for power. So he was probably considered a "tough but fair" somewhat-benevolent (compared to the others) dictator.

      The masks where gifts for the most powefull one's not what made them powerfull. so if he needed or not a mask if he where one of the most powerfull one's he had one.

      sry for bad english from iceland : )

        Loading editor
    • I am fairly sure that somewhere in the game it says that Skyrim and Solstiem were orginally the same landmass but a huge battle (probably involving Miraak) split them apart. So... maybe they are not as seperate as you think? Sorry about the instinctive defense of my theory.

      -A-Guy-Who's-Too-Lazy-Too-Make-An-Account-Just-Yet.

        Loading editor
    • AngryEnclaveSoldier wrote:
      I think masks are more like a gift from the dragons which show their rank in the Dragon Cult. As far as we know all the Dragon Priests with masks in Skyrim were High Priests. There are other, 'normal' priests we see in Skyrim who don't have a mask. So I guess that Vahlok was one of the normal priests who still fought against Miraak.

      Like you said they are GIFTS from dragons...so lets say you were all powerful and you gave some weakling lesser being only good enough to serve as a slave. so you give them a gift of extreme power....would u want to go about making another one cause he "lost" it or  "broke"  it. and Vahlok being loyal as he was and extremely powerful there is no way in hell he is a lesser priest. In my honest opinion if there is a broken mask it could be his but also the backstory on the gold mask ( forgot the name of it but you get it from collecting all the masks in skyrim.. well i believe that was his mask at one point and he hid it away or something...remember the island USED to be part of skyrim...

        Loading editor
    • Zephrim wrote:
      Here is my take on what happened; He had a mask, but it was a clown mask and no one liked it, so when he died his followers just threw it away. Which is why he attacks you when you enter his tomb because he is still mad about loosing his awesome clown mask. 

      hahahaha, couldnt stop laughing at this

        Loading editor
    • What if Vahlok actually knew that the Dragonborn (The character you play in skyrim) was good, but, he was bound by his oath to the dragons, and was cursed to kill anyone that hates dragons. And, what if his mask was the wooden mask found in the Dragon Priest Shrine and it went there because some scholar found it in Solstheim and brought it in Skyrim and investigated the Labyrinthian. AND HERE'S THE BEST PART! What If Vahlok owned the Wooden mask and HE WAS THE GUARDIAN OF THE KOHNARIK MASK. He hid the mask in his tomb, but some scholar found it and went to Skyrim (Lol I said it Again) 

        Loading editor
    • That is literally what my theory was, but worded differently and with an extra bit on the end.

      Geat minds think alike.

      -A-Guy-Who's-To-Lazy-To-Make-An-Account-Just-Yet

        Loading editor
    • Vahlok,in a desperate attempt to kill Miraak,siphoned the magick from his mask.Alas this gave him power unimaginable power.Which slowly degraded his senses turning him into a fool with a craving too kill.After the siphon miraak was taken in by Mora,Vahlok with his last senses built a tomb for himself and sealed himself.Waiting to relieve himself of this power by a Man/mer.His mask broke from siphoning,until atlast it moved from its natural place to where you found the broken mask.

        Loading editor
    • maybe he was actually Gandalf(I said it) who was way to cool to wear a mask and wouldn't it be funny if in life vahlok was a crippled granny and her actual power was her walking stick but as she was so old the staff was used as a leg replacement and rotted away in the tomb. She attacks you because she thinks you stole it. VAHLOK WAS A CRIPPLED GRANNY nuff said...

        Loading editor
    • Are you on any medication?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe :P

        Loading editor
    • I am legally obliged to tell you,you are under arrest by the Imperial Guard for using Skooma and/or Tree sap,or moon sugar.

        Loading editor
    • I'm a stormcloak

        Loading editor
    • Go back on topic.

        Loading editor
    • Oh lol,May Vahlok burn you.

        Loading editor
    • Killed vahlok and with his mask miraak could've stolen it

        Loading editor
    • The masks could be based on need as well.  If Vahlok was a nice guy that the people he ruled liked, there wouldn't be as much of a risk of rebellion as for other Dragon Priests.  He might not have gotten a mask because he didn't really need the extra power.

        Loading editor
    • FishySalesman wrote:
      Maybe his mask is Konahrik? I highly doubt it but it's a possibility.

      Maybe it's the wooden mask?

        Loading editor
    • Maybe, Vahlok was a mage of such great power that even the dragons feared him. Thus, they gave him a mask with a negative enchantment to contain his power. To fight miraak, he pulled the mask off and flung it away, then when ultimate explosion master exploder cool guy mode.

      Then he died and his powers rotted away along with his body

        Loading editor
    • But you fight him therefore his body was gone and when you fight him he where's no mask and he's just a basic dragon priest, he didn't die also cause he became king of solstheim

        Loading editor
    • What if miraak has vahlok's mask? imagine they were fighting and as legend says Valhok was winning so he tries to finish it. Miraak does a dodge and swipes Valhok's mask, and then Herma moves him into apocrypha. 

        Loading editor
    • But miraaks mask resembles a seeker

        Loading editor
    • I didn't read the whole screen or didn't played Dragonborn DLC, but I've read all of the replies and this is my idea(s):

      1) Vahlok was too powerful so he didn't need a mask.

      2) Vahlok HAD a mask, but it broke while fighting Miraak

      3) There were ranks between DPs, and his rank wasn't enough to wear a mask.

      4) His power was so much that wearing a mask would go over his limits and destroy his body

      5) Dragons were afraid of Vahlok betraying them, so they didn't give him a mask.

      This is a bit different from others:

      6) His mask was the wooden one, which can be only activated when worn by Vahlok. The description says The wooden mask hums with an unfamiliar energy. Others can sense it, but only Vahlok can activate it. I've heard it opens a path to somewhere, maybe that's his secret chamber or he is the leader of DPs, so only he had access to there.

        Loading editor
    • Miraak (mask), as someone pointed out resembles a seeker, maybe he did take Vahlok's mask (in a more logical way than swiping it off his face) and melted his and Vahlok's mask down to create his Seeker resembling mask

        Loading editor
    • Due to the crappy enchantment that's not true, miraaks mask was given to him by herma Mora after all he is the d. Prince of knowledge so he would know how and with vahlok his whole tomb was buried his mask could be lost but his artifact could be his robes, as you can't pick them up that could be a valid idea I know they look same but just trying to be versatile

        Loading editor
    • The Wooden Mask was Vahlok's; it was given to him by the dragons as a reward/curse after he stopped Miraak. The reason, given the mask's only function, should be obvious...a precaution in case any of the other Dragon Priests followed in Miraak's footsteps. Not only was Vahlok given responsibility for Miraak, but ALL of the Dragon Priests. They act up, he takes their mask and puts it where only he can get it. "The wearer of the Wooden Mask is the bearer of ultimate tasks." Vahlok was definitely the most powerful Dragon Priest.

      Sychobi

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake
      Pelinal Whitestrake removed this reply because:
      Spam
      15:27, May 31, 2014
      This reply has been removed

      this is for anyone who would love a vahlok mod

      http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190945616

      this is why i love pc gameing...something that anoyes you MODS

      http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/18/187196dcd428ccef1df8ae0be291911f1c2a670b17223f01cf4f8fbd81895678.jpg

        Loading editor
    • I'd assume that not all Dragon Priests had masks. It is likely that AhzidalDukaanZahkriisos, and Miraak either made their masks, or received them from Hermaeus Mora when they joined him. I make this assumption based on the fact that all four masks share a "cthulian" style (Miraak's obvious tentacle mask, and if you look at the other three, they have less detailed tentacles etched into the masks), and that both Dukaan and Zahkriisos can summon Seekers, who serve Hermaeus Mora.

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake
      Pelinal Whitestrake removed this reply because:
      Spam
      15:27, May 31, 2014
      This reply has been removed

      ( dark jeto.......back to insanety....please )

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake
      Pelinal Whitestrake removed this reply because:
      pointless
      17:44, June 7, 2014
      This reply has been removed

      Dark Jeto you make an excelent... after how much i liked Shegorath for being the Mad God (ROTMG) lol... i would expect the mask of uhhhhh _______ the mad would have better effects.................. OH WELL! Wabbajack!


      -Taltan

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake
      Pelinal Whitestrake removed this reply because:
      pointless
      17:44, June 7, 2014
      This reply has been removed

      now i want an entire wheel of goat cheese....................

        Loading editor
    • My friend said that if you wore Konahriik when fighting him, he would say something like "you thief".

      Just rumor, needs to be proved though.

        Loading editor
    • There is a wooden mask in the Labyrinthian and when you put it on it take you to another dimension and it has a a spot to put every dragon priest mask. One spot says Vahlok's mask so he had one I just can't find it.

        Loading editor
    • 24.94.228.250 wrote:
      There is a wooden mask in the Labyrinthian and when you put it on it take you to another dimension and it has a a spot to put every dragon priest mask. One spot says Vahlok's mask so he had one I just can't find it.

      There is no mask spot for Vahlok, there's only a spot for the nine Dragon Priests within Skyrim (including Konahrik).

        Loading editor
    • A Wikia Contributer 24.94.228.250 might be referring to Volung or Vokun but there is no Vahlok Bust.

      Seeing as there are only 9 Masks and 9 Busts and the others on Solstheim are completely different from the original design, I'd say that these masks were for the highest of honors, being worn by the highest of Dragon Priests. No there is no Vahlok's Mask, that's what I believe, the Wooden Mask is something related to time (I do believe), and Konahrik is probably for the most strongest for the Dragonborn seeing as how you need all eight other masks to get it, Not counting the ones you get at Solstheim cause they don't have a bust....

      I may be wrong, you can correct me if I am.

      I believe if Vahlok had a mask then it possibly be named after him most with different buffs and a totally different design. Maybe someone should make a mod for Vahlok's mask that'd be interesting. We don't know what happened to Vahlok's mask if he had one only the creators of the game know what happened to it.

        Loading editor
    • Shade Tear wrote: A Wikia Contributer 24.94.228.250 might be referring to Volung or Vokun but there is no Vahlok Bust.

      Seeing as there are only 9 Masks and 9 Busts and the others on Solstheim are completely different from the original design, I'd say that these masks were for the highest of honors, being worn by the highest of Dragon Priests. No there is no Vahlok's Mask, that's what I believe, the Wooden Mask is something related to time (I do believe), and Konahrik is probably for the most strongest for the Dragonborn seeing as how you need all eight other masks to get it, Not counting the ones you get at Solstheim cause they don't have a bust....

      I may be wrong, you can correct me if I am.

      I believe if Vahlok had a mask then it possibly be named after him most with different buffs and a totally different design. Maybe someone should make a mod for Vahlok's mask that'd be interesting. We don't know what happened to Vahlok's mask if he had one only the creators of the game know what happened to it.

      i originaly posted a link to a mod which adds vahloks mask....but it got removed...why  ? i dont know

        Loading editor
    • and with all honesty...i think he had a mask...but he probably lost it..heck i woulden be surpriesed if that were so i mean...the Island got tore from the main land..and not like 2 or 3 Yards...no it was like.....20 miles you could say ( im not sure) but still...sombody would lose some shit back there..ist probably in the dehpts of the ghost sea

        Loading editor
    • As some people have said, probably Vahlok's mask is the wooden one, but to complete a little bit this theory, I'm going to write some ideas that may be correct or may not, but to me they seem probable:

      1. When Vahlok died, the mask was carried to Labyrinthian or some place near there by a member of the Dragon Cult or a citizen of Solstheim under Vahlok's orders to prevent it from being stolen by any of his enemies.

      2. After years of abandonment without someone to use it, the mask lost a part of its powers. When Vahlok wore it, probably it could control the time somehow, maybe like the "Slow Time" shout or something like that, but now it can only reveal the dragon priests' shrine of Labyrinthian in the past, when it was undefiled and the dragon priests' busts were there.

      3. Maybe Vahlok attacks the Dragonborn because he is still a servant of the dragons, or maybe it's just that the Dragonborn's powers are like Miraak's. Or maybe he is just crazy after years of "waiting" near the death. Who knows. 

        Loading editor
    • Miraak was defeated AFTER Alduin was banished. I can only assume that giving out masks to dragon priests was Alduin's thing. So no Alduin=no mask. That would also explain why he was not evil like the other priests. He came after the dragon war. for all we know he could have been serving Paarthurnax at that point.

        Loading editor
    • i dont know if you guys can tell but all four of the dragon preist masks are obviously influenced by tentacle daedra (whose name escapes me) they all have a more serpent-like appearance they all have like small tentacles by the mouth just pointing that out 


      any way i think that because miraak was dragonborn the dragons didnt trust him so they didnt give him a mask so he stole vahloks mask during their battle then when tentacle god saved miraak he improved his mask then incouraging the other three preists to join tentacle god hence their tentaclealized masks

        Loading editor
    • Bethesda could also have been attempting to differentiate the masks found in Skyrim and in Solstheim for identification purposes, but I like your explanation better.

        Loading editor
    • i just want a quest to find and possibly repair Vaholk's mask, or have him as a follower, or miraak...or both? :P Either way, it'd be nice to have it, or even make your own.

        Loading editor
    • From What i red on this post i have an idea Vohlok and Miraak where the first dragon priests with masks because that sosthiem was split from skyrim during the battle and that they have differn't mask designs.

        Loading editor
    • Most likely Vahlok's mask was the wooden one. As stated before, it was likely to be used to keep Miraak contained in the pocket dimension (or past, whichever you believe). This is supported by the fact that the mask's only enchantment is to teleport there and back.

      Obviously, the masks in Solstheim show resemblance to Mora and look like they were hammered out from the original masks.

      And Vahlok was a powerful, trusted dragon priest, as well as the one responsible for keeping Miraak imprisoned in the pocket dimension (again, or past). He wouldn't have defaced his mask as he never followed Hermaeus Mora's influence.


      That's my take, somebody else please rip it to shreds if it's awful.

        Loading editor
    • The most likely scenario is that he simply never achieved a high enough rank with in the cult to get a mask. Nothing to do with him not being powerful enough, or respected enough. Although, this is only the most likely scenario, all others hold varying degrees of plausibility. Not wearing a mask, even if he could obtain one would be fiiting for Vahlok, because he was, according to all acounts, a brave and honorable man, and one could argue only cowards wear masks. Although the wooden mask could be related in the same vein, as it lacks any real armoristic value, as opposed to the others, and it's effect on time could have to do with his eternal vigil for Miraak's return.

        Loading editor
    • Well, he was obviously ranked higher than Miraak, who got a mask, as he was put in charge of defeating and containing him. Plus, pretty much any dragon cultist was rewarded with their own mask when they became a priest... right?

        Loading editor
    • no

      only the highest of priest got masks.

      miraak might have gotten his mask later when he became the champion of mora...i mean the masks style is squidish....while the others are nordic

        Loading editor
    • But this is Vahlok. He has a name and title and everything. He was put in a position of power greater than the other priests and was one of the main leaders.How could he not have a mask?

        Loading editor
    • My headcanon is that it is the wooden mask.

        Loading editor
    • Headcanon = Opinion?

        Loading editor
    • 5.28.91.220
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki