FANDOM


  • noone knows what it is and im like wth cause you can make anything out of it even a bow which means it must be flexible also. it's super strong, it doesn't rusts and it never breaks.

    maybe the dwemer metal is not of the world of elder scrolls, and was siphoned into the dimension through some kind of interdimensional portal of some kind using long lost dwemer science??

    Edit: Please do not use other colors than the basic white when typing.

      Loading editor
    • I think its possably a alloy of a lot of other metals maybe gold silver and moonstone you do often find those ores on spider workers (but others too). Who knows.

      It might break there are plenty of broken pipes in ruins that look like its made out of Dwemer metal.

        Loading editor
    • You can make bows out of a many different metals, so I don't think its any more flexible than other metals.

      Most likely it is the Dwemer version of steel - the result of processing one type of ore with another element/chemical. That process was lost with the Dwarves, along with a lot of other stuff.

        Loading editor
    • "...long lost Dwemer science..."

      You're close. The metal is clearly made out of pure Science. Because the Dwemer are of Science.

        Loading editor
    • Pickleseller
      Pickleseller removed this reply because:
      meh
      12:54, June 6, 2014
      This reply has been removed
    • It looks like an alloy called aluminum bronze, which is mostly copper and aluminum. It often may have small amounts of other metals such as nickel, manganese, iron,tin, zinc and even arsenic.

        Loading editor
    • DarthOrc wrote:
      It looks like an alloy called aluminum bronze, which is mostly copper and aluminum. It often may have small amounts of other metals such as nickel, manganese, iron,tin, zinc and even arsenic.

      alluminum bronze? ive never heard of that alloy. i will look it up. sounds interesting.

        Loading editor
    • Fetidmixture
      Fetidmixture removed this reply because:
      misread something
      04:09, July 19, 2013
      This reply has been removed
    • Is it considered "advertising other wiki pages" if it's Wikipedia? Eh. I don't really care either way; here's Aluminium Bronze;

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_bronze

        Loading editor
    • maybe its just an alloy of Gold, Iron and Bronze

        Loading editor
    • Anonymous Kontributor wrote:
      maybe its just an alloy of Gold, Iron and Bronze


      That would be gold, iron, copper and tin...bronze is an alloy already. Such an alloy would be quite heavy as well as soft, due to the gold, so that is not likely since Dwarven metal makes good armor and swords (something that takes a hard metal).

        Loading editor
    • DarthOrc wrote:
      Anonymous Kontributor wrote:
      maybe its just an alloy of Gold, Iron and Bronze

      That would be gold, iron, copper and tin...bronze is an alloy already. Such an alloy would be quite heavy as well as soft, due to the gold, so that is not likely since Dwarven metal makes good armor and swords (something that takes a hard metal).

      How about Gold,Titanum and Copper alloy?

        Loading editor
    • Anonymous Kontributor wrote:
      DarthOrc wrote:
      Anonymous Kontributor wrote:
      maybe its just an alloy of Gold, Iron and Bronze

      That would be gold, iron, copper and tin...bronze is an alloy already. Such an alloy would be quite heavy as well as soft, due to the gold, so that is not likely since Dwarven metal makes good armor and swords (something that takes a hard metal).
      How about Gold,Titanum and Copper alloy?

      Titanium*

        Loading editor
    • You're still adding gold, which is a very soft metal.  If you're trying for the color, the copper and tin would already make that happen, add iron and maybe moonstone?

        Loading editor
    • Dwemer metal = souls soldified into a physical form.

      Just as the Numidium.

        Loading editor
    • Normally I would accept it as a theory, or a joke, but since it's you I'd like to know where you base that idea from.  Can we cite sources on that one, SajuukKhar?

        Loading editor
    • Havent we been over this before?

      Skeleton Man's Interview with the Denizens of Tamriel

      Kagrenac was devoted to his people, and the Dwarves, despite what you may have read, were a pious lot-he would not have sacrificed so many of their golden souls to create Anumidum's metal body if it were all in the name of grand theater.

      Made Up Word Round Up

      "Kagrenac was devoted to his people, and the Dwarves, despite what you may have read, were a pious lot-he would not have sacrificed so many of their golden souls to create Anumidum's metal body if it were all in the name of grand theater. Kagrenac had even built the tools needed to construct a Mantella, the Crux of Transcendence."

      Okay. So now everyone can stop posting about where the Dwarves went. I TOLD YOU EIGHTY YEARS AGO.

      Filthy with it, I am.

      The Dwemer converted their own souls to create the metal body of Numidium, who says they couldn't do it with the souls of others?

      Why else do you think the metal cannot be re-made, and why else does the metal last forever with no obvious signs of rust or decay?

      Souls are eternal.

        Loading editor
    • To my knowledge we've never discussed about how the Dwemer made their armor, practically their whole cities, out of their own souls . . .

      As for us not knowing any way to get Dwemer metal for our own construction besides melting down what they left behind, I've always chalked it up to us losing the technology.  There are lots of lost arts in the world (Nirn and Earth), why not this one?  I have no desire to start another lore fight here, the question is not about Numidium, but about their metals.  If that is your stance for that reason, then fine.  I figured if anyone would have sources directly related to the metal itself, you would. 

        Loading editor
    • SajuukKhar wrote:
      Havent we been over this before...

      that *could* explain what they just all up and vanished.

        Loading editor
    • Tenshi252 wrote:
      that *could* explain what they just all up and vanished.

      It *could* and *does*.

      See the case of Arnial Gane, who incompletely re-created the Dwemer's actions and became spiritually bound to you, just as the Dwemer became bound to Numidium.

        Loading editor
    • SajuukKhar wrote:
      Tenshi252 wrote:
      that *could* explain what they just all up and vanished.
      It *could* and *does*.

      See the case of Arnial Gane, who incompletely re-created the Dwemer's actions and became spiritually bound to you, just as the Dwemer became bound to Numidium.

      I hate Dwemer ruins for 2 reasons; 1. so much stuff lying around and I wanna pick up ALL the things! and 2. %^$ FALMER *shudders* creepy bastards. Though, all things considered, I feel kinda bad for the poor things.

        Loading editor
    • Not the time or place for this discussion, it always starts more than it's worth.  Matter at hand is the metal you find in the struts that the armor is made of, please keep on topic and away from that one.

        Loading editor
    • opps... sorry.

        Loading editor
    • There are numorous other threads devoted to this subject, I'm not saying don't talk about it, just nowhere new, lol.

        Loading editor
    • I  always assumed Dwemer Metal was simply Corumdum smelted with the arcane, chemical and physical knowledge of the dwemer.

        Loading editor
    • Sky Above,Voice Within wrote:
      I  always assumed Dwemer Metal was simply Corumdum smelted with the arcane, chemical and physical knowledge of the dwemer.

      As likely as anything else.

        Loading editor
    • PsijicThief wrote:
      There are numorous other threads devoted to this subject, I'm not saying don't talk about it, just nowhere new, lol.

      understood. I'm new to the fourm, and I tend to get overexcited and ramble. If I annoy you at any point, please tell me.

        Loading editor
    • No worries, Tenshi252, first time I've seen your name so it's the first tiem you've done anything of negative note, lol.  It happens, I have a tendancy to ramble, as well.  That's why I started writing blogs, get as much of my rambling done there and let my forums read a cleaner, lol.

        Loading editor
    • just Tenshi, please. I only added the numbers ti make sure i didn't get a 'name already taken' note

        Loading editor
    • If Ebony can be a metal in TES, why can't Gold be harder, therefore allowing for a Copper Iron Gold alloy to be Dwemer metal?

        Loading editor
    • I see your point, I don't disagree, but with gold and silver being used in normal (real-life applicable) ways I think the base physics of said minerals will be what we're used to.  Ebony and Glass are both minerals named for the physical appearance, more than a direct correlation to real-world applications.  There are certain aspects of it that bring it full circle to what we know in real life, but it ultimately is a fantasy game using some fantasy minerals, while still holding on to the basic metals. 

      I suppose I say all of that to say this; gold is gold, ebony isn't like our wood, probably doesn't involve gold . . . long way to go to bring my opinion back around, sorry.

        Loading editor
    • Jett Cyber wrote:
      If Ebony can be a metal in TES, why can't Gold be harder, therefore allowing for a Copper Iron Gold alloy to be Dwemer metal?

      it would also explain why the konahriik mask has such high stats even though it is made of gold.

        Loading editor
    • I would contest that...Just looking at the gold ingot model, it definitely looks soft. Also I'm pretty sure they just mixed up ebony and obsidian, although they would of course still have to alter the properties of obsidian to make armor out of it. Not saying that it's actually called obsidian and not ebony, just that I'm fairly certain that's the concept from which the canonical substance called ebony arose.

        Loading editor
    • The color and density would suggest copper and gold with ebony and/or moonstone. Also, as the Dwemer were the only group to discover Aetherium, it is possible they could have dicovered a currently unfound metal.

        Loading editor
    • It's one of my favourite alloy, Dwarven metal never dulls nor does it rust. The unique metal only can be discovered in the Dwarven ruins. The Dwemer smelted and created their own metal.

      IMO, the Dwemer have been mining alien materials on the two moons; Masser and Secunda, before their gone missing.

        Loading editor
    • Nazul Rostello wrote:
      IMO, the Dwemer have been mining alien materials on the two moons; Masser and Secunda, before their gone missing.

      Your post seems like a joke..... but you are aware the moons are actually other planes of existance, like the daedric realms, and not actual moons?

        Loading editor
    • SajuukKhar wrote:
      Nazul Rostello wrote:
      IMO, the Dwemer have been mining alien materials on the two moons; Masser and Secunda, before their gone missing.
      Your post seems like a joke..... but you are aware the moons are actually other planes of existance, like the daedric realms, and not actual moons?

      ^ That is another theory, say that the Dwarves have been mining rare materials from the other realms. Just like the Dremora made their own armors from Daedric ebony.

        Loading editor
    • AoBzealot0812 wrote:
      The color and density would suggest copper and gold with ebony and/or moonstone. Also, as the Dwemer were the only group to discover Aetherium, it is possible they could have dicovered a currently unfound metal.


      The density of iron is 7.87 times that of water, the density of gold is 19.3 times that of water.  Iron armor weighs 30, Dwarven armor weighs 45. There couldn't be much gold in Dwarven metal alloy or Dwarven armor would weigh a lot more.

        Loading editor
    • Copper would definitely be prevalent, but sulfur, espcially iron sulfide, could be present also.

        Loading editor
    • Nazul Rostello wrote:
      ^ That is another theory, say that the Dwarves have been mining rare materials from the other realms. Just like the Dremora made their own armors from Daedric ebony.

      Source?

      The nature of TES's cosmology is well documented.

      Whereas I havent seen a source that says they mined materials from other realms, only that they visted other realms.

        Loading editor
    • I would say it is perhaps a magic imbued steel, possible just iron or maybe gold 

        Loading editor
    • Dwarven Metal is most likely some mix of Brass and Bronze, both alloys being made up of mostly copper. The Other races struggle to understand it because the Bronze age has not yet hit Tamriel

        Loading editor
    • Greenerseyes wrote:
      Dwarven Metal is most likely some mix of Brass and Bronze, both alloys being made up of mostly copper. The Other races struggle to understand it because the Bronze age has not yet hit Tamriel


      No, the bronze age (which always starts shortly after the discovery of copper), precedes the iron age. This must be true in Tamriel as well, otherwise, there wouldn't be copper circlets.

      Without the Dwemer's command of electricity (as seen in some of their automatons), which is necessary to produce aluminum, the other races in Tamriel cannot produce aluminum-bronze, which is the alloy on Earth most like Dwemer metal.

        Loading editor
    • He's right breaking aluminum out of bauxite requiers massive amounts of electricity. A destruction mages lightning bolt wouldn't cut it doesn't last long enough.  It's why aluminum was so much more valuable than gold for a long time after its discovery it was just that hard to produce enough juice to get the job done.

        Loading editor
    • I'm thinking moonstone is involved somehow, since you can mine loads of the stuff in Dwemer ruins, especially Mzulft.

        Loading editor
    • I've never found any Moonstone in Dwarven Ruins. But then again, that's just me.

        Loading editor
    • Canes4ever wrote:
      I've never found any Moonstone in Dwarven Ruins. But then again, that's just me.

      Mzulft

        Loading editor
    • There's also a vein in Nchuand-Zel, off to the side of the rocky ledge that overlooks the large partially flooded central chamber. Moonstone could contain some aluminum.

        Loading editor
    • Aich's Alloy. See it for your self

        Loading editor
    • I also think that dwemer-metal is a kind of bronze.

      For example there is nothing strange in mixing of iron and copper (chorundum in Skyrim) to produce "steel". Without hi-tech methods it is very difficult to reduce carbon concentration in Fe-C system. But adding of some amount of copper results in strongly reduce carbon solubility in liquid melting Fe. So, the Fe-C-Cu system is, of course, not a classic steel, but is characterized by greater durability and less fragile than initial cast iron.

        Loading editor
    • For those saying that it's Bronze, it's not. In one of the books you can find in Markarth, Calcelmo specifically says it's not Bronze, and is "most definitely a distinct type of metal of its own"

        Loading editor
    • 72.74.176.143 wrote:
      For those saying that it's Bronze, it's not. In one of the books you can find in Markarth, Calcelmo specifically says it's not Bronze, and is "most definitely a distinct type of metal of its own"


      Calcimo is only guessing. He has no way to recognize an aluminum bronze as he has no knowledge of aluminum.

        Loading editor
    • I dont think its aluminum bronze, because if it was you would probably find scraps of aluminum in dwemer ruins.

        Loading editor
    • ^That is the only thing that has made me question the aluminum bronze theory

        Loading editor
    • "Do you know what you can do with an aluminum tube? ALUMINUM!" Sorry, couldn't resist. My bad.

        Loading editor
    • Based on appearance, I would say it's a mix between corundum and malachite or corundum and silver.

        Loading editor
    • 209.240.120.251 wrote:
      I dont think its aluminum bronze, because if it was you would probably find scraps of aluminum in dwemer ruins.

      Not if all the bauxite (aluminum ore) was mined, processed and made into Dwemer metal ingots at one as yet undiscovered  location.

        Loading editor
    • You guys are confusing real-life facts with game facts.

      Aluminum does not exist in the elder scrolls games. Its a metal that was practicaly unworkable til the industrial age cause of its high melting point.

      I believe Dwarven Metal is a mix of corundum and gold. You use corundum to improve steel-plate armor and gold is a metal that does not rust or tarnish, also the ingots color looks like a mix of the two.

      With the strength of the metal you got to remember that silver is just as soft as gold and silver weapons exist in skyrim.

        Loading editor
    • Kylancelo wrote:
      You guys are confusing real-life facts with game facts.

      Aluminum does not exist in the elder scrolls games. Its a metal that was practicaly unworkable til the industrial age cause of its high melting point.

      I believe Dwarven Metal is a mix of corundum and gold. You use corundum to improve steel-plate armor and gold is a metal that does not rust or tarnish, also the ingots color looks like a mix of the two.

      With the strength of the metal you got to remember that silver is just as soft as gold and silver weapons exist in skyrim.

      I'm sure the dwemer could have worked aluminum. Aetherium also has a very high melting point but they were able to work that. Also what is your source that aluminum doesn't exist in TES?

        Loading editor
    • Kylancelo wrote:

      Aluminum does not exist in the elder scrolls games. Its a metal that was practicaly unworkable til the industrial age cause of its high melting point.

      Correction: Aluminum's melting point (1,221 deg. F,  661 deg C) is much lower than iron (2,800 deg F, 1,538 deg C). It was the ability to generate and control large amounts of electricity that was the key that unlocked the use of aluminum. The Dwemer were the only ones known who might have been able to do this, through their mastery of the use of soul gems.

        Loading editor
    • I admit I messed up on the melting point on the aluminum cause my knowledge on it is over 20 years old and my memory is bad but my source of aluminum not existing in the elder scrolls games is because there is no info that it does exist.

      Aluminum is not mentioned once in any of the games or in any of the lore. Whatever metals they used for their equipment it makes more sense that it's from the ones that are mentioned.

        Loading editor
    • Lack of evidence of something's existance does not, in itself, constitute proof of its non-existance. Take sub-atomic particles, for instance. They was no noticable evidence of their existance until the discovery of radioactivity in the 19th century, yet they exist. There is no evidence for alien civilizations, yet many highly respected scientists believe they exist. And then there is the matter of God (or Gods)....

      That no one alive in Tamriel knows the formula for Dwarven metal is strong evidence for an ingredient not available/known. As aluminum is extremely common in all known rocky planet/moon's crust, it is a pretty good guess that it is also on Nirn. Aluminum was unknown on Mundus until the 19th century, yet it is very commonly found in many rocks there (if not in economically minable concentrations).

        Loading editor
    • Since many real metals are present in TES it is fair to assume that aluminum may be present as well. 

        Loading editor
    • Kestrellius wrote:

      The metal is clearly made out of pure Science.

      Seems reasonable. Considering that in the past the Dwemer have made two Gundams and a machine whose sole function was to disprove the existence of the Nine Divines, I could see them being able to make a metal out of nothing but science.

        Loading editor
    • ^i want a Dwemer Gundam...omg....so bad

        Loading editor
    • Sky Above,Voice Within wrote:
      I  always assumed Dwemer Metal was simply Corumdum smelted with the arcane, chemical and physical knowledge of the dwemer.

      I think this makes sense. Corundum, whatever metal that is in TES; toss in a little gold for suppleness and corrosion-resistance. Might have to raise the melt to high temperatures before the emulsion will break down - or it might need something odd; maybe some traces of iron or 'malachite' or ebony to help convert the emulsion into an alloy.

      I'd love to experiment with alloys but, unfortunately, I can't afford the electric furnace or the electricity bill.   :^)

        Loading editor
    • Based on it being a metal available in TESO, called Dwarven Metal, I'd suspect it's likely Aluminum, though it could also, just be, A *fantasy world* with Fantasy Metals and not be anything that exists in reality.

        Loading editor
    • 83.94.241.104 wrote:
      Based on it being a metal available in TESO, called Dwarven Metal, I'd suspect it's likely Aluminum, though it could also, just be, A *fantasy world* with Fantasy Metals and not be anything that exists in reality.

      Yes, but the Elder Scrolls Online is a game made by Zenimax, not Bethasda, meaning that it's contents are different than from Skyrim, also, people from TESO (3rd Era, I beleive) see things different from Skyrim's time (4th Era)

        Loading editor
    • 216.183.149.73 wrote:
      Since many real metals are present in TES it is fair to assume that aluminum may be present as well. 

      I highly doubt this, seeing as for one, aluminum is created on Earth, where we focus on science and not magic, and how in Nirn, they use magic instead of sceince, and you can't magically create a metal that was originally sceintifically made in reality. In addition to the previously stated, we could be looking at this from the wrong angle. They only mix up to two metals in the Elder Scrolls without magic, I think they would magically transmute (similar to the transmute spell) a metal into Dwarven Metal using  what seems to be the source of their power for their machinery, MAGIC soul gems (intended emphasis) and a spell/staff.

        Loading editor
    • DragonHunterTheif62 wrote:
      83.94.241.104 wrote:
      Based on it being a metal available in TESO, called Dwarven Metal, I'd suspect it's likely Aluminum, though it could also, just be, A *fantasy world* with Fantasy Metals and not be anything that exists in reality.
      Yes, but the Elder Scrolls Online is a game made by Zenimax, not Bethasda, meaning that it's contents are different than from Skyrim, also, people from TESO (3rd Era, I beleive) see things different from Skyrim's time (4th Era)

      TESO is 2nd era.

        Loading editor
    • Nazul Rostello wrote:
      SajuukKhar wrote:
      Nazul Rostello wrote:
      IMO, the Dwemer have been mining alien materials on the two moons; Masser and Secunda, before their gone missing.
      Your post seems like a joke..... but you are aware the moons are actually other planes of existance, like the daedric realms, and not actual moons?
      ^ That is another theory, say that the Dwarves have been mining rare materials from the other realms. Just like the Dremora made their own armors from Daedric ebony.

      Uhh, they use ebony and a deadra heart to smith deadric armor in Skyrim, wouldn't they use a deadric blood source and ebony to make deadric armor for dremoras? I'm asking because I've never really payed attention to Morrowind and Oblivion (The only TES games I've played except Skyrim) 

        Loading editor
    • DragonHunterTheif62 wrote:
      216.183.149.73 wrote:
      Since many real metals are present in TES it is fair to assume that aluminum may be present as well. 
      I highly doubt this, seeing as for one, aluminum is created on Earth, where we focus on science and not magic, and how in Nirn, they use magic instead of sceince, and you can't magically create a metal that was originally sceintifically made in reality. In addition to the previously stated, we could be looking at this from the wrong angle. They only mix up to two metals in the Elder Scrolls without magic, I think they would magically transmute (similar to the transmute spell) a metal into Dwarven Metal using  what seems to be the source of their power for their machinery, MAGIC soul gems (intended emphasis) and a spell/staff.

      Aluminum is not created here on mundus by science. Aluminum is a naturally occuring element, mostly found as oxides. It is not possible to smelt aluminum from its ore (bauxite is the most common) the same way iron is, the commercial process uses electricity to get the free aluminum from a molten mixture of alumina and cryolite (sodium aluminun fluoride).

      The Dwemer, having a better grasp of physical science as well as the use of soul gems than the other races, could have done this and then alloyed the aluminum with copper and other metals to make aluminum bronze (most familiar to the average person on mundus as a material used in making coins. (The gold colored centers of the Russian 50 roubles coin is aluminum bronze, some pre-Euro french coins were aluminum bronze as well.)

        Loading editor
    • If any one has been to Blackreach then they should know about the soul gem geodes. Also I personally have seen a lot of corundum. So what if soul gem gems were infused in the metel corundum to make dwarven metal and no one else how found the means to re create it.


      And unlike Earth, Nirn is Fiction... Ebony is actually wood and orichalcum was myth to Atlantis. So in other words, you can make all the theories you want and will never get the recipe. :(

        Loading editor
    • its obviously tea stained silver u morongs

        Loading editor
    • Any maroon can tell it is not tea stains; it's coffee. ;-p

        Loading editor
    • Go back on topic please.

        Loading editor
    • Pelinal Whitestrake
      Pelinal Whitestrake removed this reply because:
      Off topic
      13:31, June 12, 2014
      This reply has been removed
    • I recall that the Dwemer, after much study of the Earth Bones and the resulting natural processes, managed to find a way to prevent the aging process in their metals, which are corrorsion resistant (and allow automatons to survive indefinetly without, say, rusting).

        Loading editor
    • The alloys are not all that remarkable, metallurgy on Mundus have ben able to produce similar alloys for many years, if the consumer is willing to pay for them. The real achievement is their power supply - even nuclear powered devices would have run down after the thousands of years since the Dwemer walked Nirn.

        Loading editor
    • DarthOrc wrote:
      The alloys are not all that remarkable, metallurgy on Mundus have ben able to produce similar alloys for many years, if the consumer is willing to pay for them. The real achievement is their power supply - even nuclear powered devices would have run down after the thousands of years since the Dwemer walked Nirn.


      Well, they seem to be mostly using Soul Gem-powered devices. (Filled) Soul Gems seem to be an almost infinite source of energy.

      Also, I think there are Dwemer Generators in ESO (to be exact, Stros M'kai).

        Loading editor
    • That they used soul gems is well known - how they get so much out of one is another matter.

        Loading editor
    • i find the aluminium-bronze theory the most likely one after reading the posts. we know that soul gems can be used as some kind of power source as seen in nordic ruins as traps and heat source in dwemer automatons. they could easily be used as some kind of electical generator te produce enough electricity to be able to extract and process aluminium. The dwemer idolized sience and logic so this wouldn't be strange at all.

        Loading editor
    • The thing is, though, being able to generate heat does not neccessarily mean one can generate electricity. In general (other than with renewable sources like solar), some sort of fuel source is used to evaporate water into steam, which is used to turn a turbine. This, in turn, causes a magnet to move through a coil of wires. It is not just a simple process of having one form of energy and then getting another. Of course, some things do obviously work differently in Mundus due to the presence of magic, but I do not think poofing energy instantaneously into other forms is one of them. Besides, I do not really see the fascination with aluminium, the metals of the Dwemer seem far better. 

        Loading editor
    • On Nirn, magica and souls can be used to generate electricity - there are many spells/enchantments/staves that do this - some are quite powerful (can we say "chain lightning"?). As for pure aluminum, it is not as strong or corrosion resistant as its alloys. Aluminum bronzes are like stainless steels - there are many formulae, each with a different balance of qualities and cost.

        Loading editor
    • Forgive me for my abiguity, I was not trying to suggest that electricity does not exist at all within the Aurbis. Rather, I was trying to say that being able to harness one form of energy does not inherently mean can harness another. Of course, electricity is present in Mundus, but it would not entirely say the infrastructure (i.e wires) would be sufficiently present for large scale usuage. I suppose in the process of electrolysis, though, a mage could just keep chanelling electricity, but that does not seem very efficient to me. Anyway, I would say that the electricity came from magicka, rather than using magicka to convert one form of energy to another, unless you count magicka as a form of energy I guess, but it is just semantics. Besides, I think Dwemer metal appears better qualty than Aluminium alloys, and I just think that it is a rather mundane choice for such a race. It would not be surprising in the slightest for different, more magical varities of metals to be present on Nirn (or any material, for that matter, ebony being one example)

        Loading editor
    • Dwemer metal is not the strongest metal on Nirn, nor is it the hardest to forge, according to the Smithing skills tree. It does not appear to us to be any better than some the high quality aluminum bronzes we are familiar with and it resembles them. The only difference is that no one alive on Nirn knows how to produce it from ore (or a combination of ores).

        Loading editor
    • I am guessing that Dwemer Metal is a unique material of its own, found only deepunder the  surface of Nirn, as it is stated that it is not made of any recognizeanble metals. Due to the technological advances of the Dwarves, I a guessing it was found from mining very deep.

      Also, maybe its source disapeared along with the Dwemer. I doubt that it's an alloy.

        Loading editor
    • Wow... The aluminium toting idiots here wanting to equal mundus with Real Life Earth are a huge reason why folks with functional brain cells prefer uesp to this bs...

      And Bethesda IS Zenimax. Owned by them. And it's Zenimax Online that makes TESO not Zenimax. Both ZO and Bethesda are studios owned by Zenimax. And the lore of tes is spanning ALL their games. TESO aswell as the previous tes1-5. 

        Loading editor
    • DarthOrc wrote:
      Dwemer metal is not the strongest metal on Nirn, nor is it the hardest to forge, according to the Smithing skills tree. It does not appear to us to be any better than some the high quality aluminum bronzes we are familiar with and it resembles them. The only difference is that no one alive on Nirn knows how to produce it from ore (or a combination of ores).

      By quality, I did not mean in terms of strength, but longevity. Of course, there are obviously real life alloys and metals which are rather corrosion resistant, but I recall that no metal is completely corrosion resistant and some point would corrode over extremely long periods of time. Dwemer metal, on the other hand, never corrodes at all. If I am wrong about the former point though, forgive me, real life metallurgy is not my strong point. 

        Loading editor
    • I always thought it was Moonstone and Corundum, maybe slightly more Corundum than Moonstone cecause of the color. Also they may have had a unique process of working the metal to turn it into Dwarven.

        Loading editor
    • King in the North wrote:
      DarthOrc wrote:
      Dwemer metal is not the strongest metal on Nirn, nor is it the hardest to forge, according to the Smithing skills tree. It does not appear to us to be any better than some the high quality aluminum bronzes we are familiar with and it resembles them. The only difference is that no one alive on Nirn knows how to produce it from ore (or a combination of ores).
      By quality, I did not mean in terms of strength, but longevity. Of course, there are obviously real life alloys and metals which are rather corrosion resistant, but I recall that no metal is completely corrosion resistant and some point would corrode over extremely long periods of time. Dwemer metal, on the other hand, never corrodes at all. If I am wrong about the former point though, forgive me, real life metallurgy is not my strong point. 

      The "Noble" metals - gold and platinum never rust or corrode (if the ring your sweetie gave you turned your finger green it was either a fake or a very low grade alloy).

        Loading editor
    • The only ores that I come across after defeating some Animunculi are corundum and malachite. And I fought a lot of them. If you were to combine an orange ore and a dark green ore, would the result not be a darker shade of orange? I'm just going to let that sit. 

        Loading editor
    • 98.25.163.85 wrote:
      The only ores that I come across after defeating some Animunculi are corundum and malachite. And I fought a lot of them. If you were to combine an orange ore and a dark green ore, would the result not be a darker shade of orange? I'm just going to let that sit. 

      Be patient - Our Dragonborns have found every ore (except stahlrim, which isn't exactly an ore), on Dwemer automatons. Take out some water-colors and try mixing them - orange and dark green mixed form a kind of brown (depending on the ratio).

        Loading editor
    • Well, That's  the last time I contribute to a conversation. 

        Loading editor
    • 98.25.163.85 wrote:
      Well, That's  the last time I contribute to a conversation. 

      Why? No one belittled you.

        Loading editor
    • But still corundum and malachite could be a possibility, right? It could very well be corundum is one of the metals included, and besides, the Dwarven ingot has some characteristics of refined malachite. 

        Loading editor
    • 98.25.163.85 wrote:
      But still corundum and malachite could be a possibility, right? It could very well be corundum is one of the metals included, and besides, the Dwarven ingot has some characteristics of refined malachite. 

      How do you know?

        Loading editor
    • 98.25.163.85 wrote:
      But still corundum and malachite could be a possibility, right? It could very well be corundum is one of the metals included

      An aluminum bronze can contain many ingredients, not just aluminum and copper. The Dwemer could easily have used a little malachite and/or corundum in the mix, or not. 

        Loading editor
    • I think Corundum is Copper so it would kind of make sense for Dwarven metal to be a compound of Corundum and Zinc? This would make Dwarven metal Brass which would explain why the Dwemer use it for building everything, pipes especially if it is dezincified (definitely a word) to prevent rust when boiling.


      Where they would get Zinc from idk....

        Loading editor
    • Little white flecks, stupid things like that. It does have a sort of a tinge of brown compared with corundum, so, why not? 

        Loading editor
    • Mintyback wrote:
      I think Corundum is Copper so it would kind of make sense for Dwarven metal to be a compound of Corundum and Zinc? This would make Dwarven metal Brass which would explain why the Dwemer use it for building everything, pipes especially if it is dezincified (definitely a word) to prevent rust when boiling.


      Where they would get Zinc from idk....

      Zinc is not a rare metal - there should be plenty on Nirn. The hilts of scimitars look like they are brass, a poor mercenary from Hammerfell would not have a weapon with a gold hilt.

        Loading editor
    • Corundum is literally sapphires and rubies Google  it.  It is the technical gem name. It's not copper. 

        Loading editor
    • 96.3.30.235 wrote:
      Corundum is literally sapphires and rubies Google  it.  It is the technical gem name. It's not copper. 


      This is an interesting point (and quite the can of words too   :)

      Corundum is aluminium oxide and includes, sapphires, rubies and a marvellous window-glazing material called sapphire glass. On the one hand, this is a matter of English language definition. The excuse that this is another universe and corundum can be anything you like in another universe doesn't fly because it has no relevance to the fact that the word, corundum, is an element of the English language and is, thus, defined in English.

      However, translation of terms from ancient cultures does, in reality, become less accurate as the distinctions in translation begin to take on less relevance to the overall context. It is known in Western Culture that Hermes wrote a book called the "Emerald Tablet". However, in Middle-Eastern Culture, the same book is referred to as the "Chrysolite Tablet". Both are green gemstones but from very different minerals and with greatly differing value. However, the problem rests with the precision of translation and has nothing to do with "emerald" referring to "chrysolite" in Middle-Eastern culture, for example.

      If you tale a close look at gemstones mentioned in the bible, this little problem becomes even more spectacular. Some accounts translate the primary foundation of New Jerusalem being made of diamond (adamant) while others translate the same as jasper (iaspis). One is a precious stone known for its hardness and transparency while the other is, at best, a dimension stone considered inferior due to the sheer expense of working the material. There are valid arguments for both translations and, yet, the matter remains unresolved to this day because the key evidence which would confirm one translation or another has been lost to the ravages of politics and time.

      So, while there are a lot of other things which make sense as possible products of "another universe" (such as magic) and, while there is no excuse for messing with diction, there are arguably exceptions to this rule when dealing with periphery vocabulary because the same issues are known problems in our own reality.

        Loading editor
    • I heard its special metal created by tonal magic. Thats why it can't be recreated, because the dwarfs are gone and the knowledge is lost.

        Loading editor
    • You all do realize that the dwarves mined and burrowed all through out tamriel, with that logic they could have come across any number of deep earth minerals such as zinc, iridium, cobalt, and nickle. Also the metal ebony looks very similar to smithing metal known as black iron, it I a very dense, very strong, but not that heavy steel alloy that contains small amounts of iridium and tungsten

        Loading editor
    • My hypothesis is that perhaps the reason Dwemer metal can't be recreated is that Dwemer metal itself is impossible. The Dwemer needed a material that is completely immune to wear and corrosion and time, but that is not possible under Mundus' physics laws. So they pulled a B.S. Johnson and bent the laws of physics to make it anyway. After all their Hat is to be medieval-fantastic mad scientists. If one were to find out how they made the stuff it would be replicable again.

      Perhaps when on TES6 the Dwemer come back and invade Tamriel...

        Loading editor
    • Kitsune Inari wrote: My hypothesis is that perhaps the reason Dwemer metal can't be recreated is that Dwemer metal itself is impossible. The Dwemer needed a material that is completely immune to wear and corrosion and time, but that is not possible under Mundus' physics laws. So they pulled a B.S. Johnson and bent the laws of physics to make it anyway. After all their Hat is to be medieval-fantastic mad scientists. If one were to find out how they made the stuff it would be replicable again.

      Perhaps when on TES6 the Dwemer come back and invade Tamriel...

      You're actually quite close to the truth of it. Dwemer Metal is derived from Tonal Architecture, which is the application or alteration of certain Tones in certain ways or at certain times to alter the perceivable reality in otherwise impossible ways. The Aurbis is Music, and thus producing or changing the Tones that comprise it will affect changes on the universe: thus the Dwemer were able to work their technological miracles, including the creation of their impossible metal, their Animunculi, and of course, Numidium. Thu'um is also a form of Tonal Architecture, albeit relying on the Language of Dragons as a medium to affect changes, rather than the precise tools of the Dwemer.

        Loading editor
    • I find all of this arguing very funny. All of you are constantly bickering and trying to prove your point over everyone else's when none of it really matters. Cracks me up every time. It's a fictional game, people. Lighten up! Instead of saying it "is" this or that, a better term would be that it "may be" this or that. The only people who can say for sure what dwarven metal "is" in context with Skyrim are the people who came up with it: The people who came up with Skyrim in the first place.

      That being said, I would like to share my own theory of the origin of Dwarven metal. What if it's actually an alloy of Steel and Orichalcum? Which is completely backwards in Skyrim because Dwarven items are placed on a lower grade then Orcish! :)

      But, if you think about it, it kinda makes sense in a round-about way. In real life, Orichalcum is an unknown metal known as "Mountain Copper" that likely looks similar to gold in color. The name alone makes me think of Dwarves. The Dwemer obviously have mastered steam power which can be used in any number of industrial processes, including smelting. They are also known for using Tonal Architecture, which is basically just frequency vibrations of sound or energy. Lots of their technology used this stuff, so one could hypothesize that their metalergy techniques used this to create Dwarven metal. Applying a frequency vibration or "tone" to metal during the smelting process can do funny things to it. Because this is Skyrim and magic is a real thing, then applying a "tone" of energy or "magic" to the metal during smelting could be a possible explanation for the origin of Dwarven metal. This is a proccess I like to nickname as "Tonal Forging".

      So why Orichalcum and not something else? Well, Dwarven arms and armor are listed as heavy items. Moonstone, Malachite, and Quicksilver are all ores used for light arms and armor, as opposed to heavy ones. Ebony, Daedric, and Dragonbone are all higher grade stuff apparently, so those can be reasonably be ruled out. The only remaining ores are Orichalcum, Corundum, and Iron. In the Skyrim game, Orcish metal is made by combining Orichalcum and Iron. The end result is the hard, heavy, and slightly green tinted metal we all know. But why is it green? Going back to the name, Orichalcum is known as "Mountain Copper". Copper. What happens when copper rusts? It turns green! So, taking a leap of logic, Orcish metal is made from an unpurified alloy of Orichalcum and Iron.

      Now how did I decide that Dwarven metal was made from Orichalcum and Steel? In both real life and in Skyrim, Steel is not a naturally occuring metal. Real life Steel, or Iron Alloy, is made from a mixture of mostly Iron and Carbon. Skyrim Steel is made by combining Iron and Corundum. Made using either the real or fictional way, this implies that Steel is a purified or refined form of Iron alloy. Dwarven metal cannot be found anywhere in Skyrim in its natural state. Taking another leap of logic, this implies that Dwarven metal is not a naturally occuring metal. Isn't there another metal just like that? Steel! Taking into account that we have ruled out every other metal except Orichalcum, Steel, and Iron, and with Steel being an artificial alloy, the remaining answer is that Dwarven metal could be an alloy of Orichalcum, Corundum, and Iron. One that has been purified and refined through Tonal Forging, using the same methods as forging Steel, to create a copper colored metal alloy that doesn't dull or rust! This sounds a lot like Stainless Steel to me, which has the similar properties of not rusting.

      The exact recipie and method of creating Dwarven metal, even with my theory, is meaningless because this is fiction and has no value in real life. But if I was going to guess, I would think that the Dwemer would start by smelting Iron down to a molten state, and then slowly mixing in quantities of molten Corundum and Orichalcum while using Tonal Forging as needed to purify and refine the mixture. Once the desired state has been reached, they shape the liquid metal into whatever form they need with molds and allow it to cool. Tonal Forging may also be used during the cooling proccess, but this is unknown.

      Overall, I think that this is a highly logical and plausible method of creating Dwarven metal in Skyrim. Of course, this is all fiction anyway, so who cares? :)

        Loading editor
    • Can it be brass?

        Loading editor
    • I don't know if it's been mentioned, but ESO ruined the mystery of Dwarven metal by making it a mineable ore and not an unknown alloy. 

        Loading editor
    • Murky Night wrote:
      I don't know if it's been mentioned, but ESO ruined the mystery of Dwarven metal by making it a mineable ore and not an unknown alloy. 

      Thats why I brush aside anything ESO, its just a bunch of rpg crap to me.

        Loading editor
    • Murky Night wrote: I don't know if it's been mentioned, but ESO ruined the mystery of Dwarven metal by making it a mineable ore and not an unknown alloy. 

      That's called gameplay and story segregation. As in, dwemer alloy is not a mineable ore in-universe, the ore exists only in-game.

        Loading editor
    • It's actually probably aluminum brass

        Loading editor
    • Otherwise known as aluminum bronze - the Dwemer's ability to harness elictricity allowed them to produce metallic aluminum, required fot this kind of alloy. No one else has mastered this, so the Dwemer were the only ones able to make it.

        Loading editor
    • Yup. Pretty much everybody can use lightning magic, but that doesn't mean anyone outside the Dwemer has learned the trick.

        Loading editor
    • Wait a second. If only the Dwemer knew the recipe, then the dwarf in Morrowind may know it too?

        Loading editor
    • Yagrum Bagarn was a master crafter who worked for Kagrenac so probably, but i don't remember being able to ask him about it. He is sick with corprus though and does say his memory is faded (and sometimes his sanity fades as well).

        Loading editor
    • 75.169.196.243 wrote:
      I find all of this arguing very funny. All of you are constantly bickering and trying to prove your point over everyone else's when none of it really matters. Cracks me up every time. It's a fictional game, people. Lighten up! Instead...

      Love how everybody ignores the logic, but I think its iether this or a etal nobody has discovered yet. It dosent matter wether the dwarf in morrowind can tell us-THAT WAS IN MORROWIND so unless time travel that factor is irrelevent.

        Loading editor
    • Not only was he a Mer but corprus stops aging and other disease. Yagrum was around in the first era and still around at the end of the third, he could be still around in the forth (and you can go back and play Morrowind whenever you want).

      Like i say though not only was he very (very) old but corprus attacks the body and mind driving most insane, so he might not be much help.

        Loading editor
    •  What I meant by it dosent matter because it's in morrowind is that nothing exciting about him knowing to make the metal happened in morrowind, meaning it wont ever unless he makes another appearance which is unlikely cause unless a future TES has a full world exploration like arena where not going to go baack to morrowind(Most likely, no reapeats yet.). The chances of him going to another land are low so morrowinds the last time where seeing him unless bethesda realy wants us to meet up with him again, and even so as you say hes most definitly insane by now. Sorry for typos 

        Loading editor
    • If I had to make speculation, the metal could have possibly be something that can withstand magma, as the Forgemaster did.

      So, it could have been something that involves iron, nickel, titanium, tungsten or even a combination of these. Though, to be fair, this could just be referring to the Forgemaster's own construction as it could withstand the heat, but the other machines in the same area around the Atherium Forge were warped.

      Perhaps the "lower tier" machines were made with less sturdy materials while more important ones (such as the Forgemaster) were created using stronger materials. 

        Loading editor
    • KnightOfThe11 wrote:
      75.169.196.243 wrote:
      I find all of this arguing very funny. All of you are constantly bickering and trying to prove your point over everyone else's when none of it really matters. Cracks me up every time. It's a fictional game, people. Lighten up! Instead...
      Love how everybody ignores the logic, but I think its iether this or a etal nobody has discovered yet...

      Thanks for the comment. What did you think about my Tonal Forging hypothesis?

        Loading editor
    • I find that your choices in metals are sound, but what if it is a spell? In Morrowind the armor has a different texture to a different PERSON! there for, it could be reasoned that the metal is a corundum base. Also the dwemer disappeared, losing the spell and potential all of its capibilities. Now, the theory on moon operations is plausible. Humans on Earth went to the moon and there are several attempts at making a giant robot like Numidium. The main problem with this is the way they transported it. Many ruins contain the metal, so it must be shipped in and out of dimensions at a frequent rate or the metal would be rarer. Another reason is the way the moons look. Many craters on the moon are visible through a telescope, And the reasons telescopes are used is so that the light pollution is avoided. In Skyrim and Morrowind, the sky is clear, AND no VISIBLE SIGNS are seen! Last would be the manpower. Although many dwemer were present, Many slaves probably did the work. There for, food and water were a must, and they would need constant replacement. Unless many portals were built, which none have been found, It is not from the moons. Tonal architecture is a need considdering the way the metral binds magic and makes weapons. I also belevive that maybe is possible, The dwemer metal is a form of deepstone. Dwarfs are known to dig deep and in several other games and lore, dwarfs have been known to use stone instead of armor. In Warhammer, The chaos dwarf immortals were armor and thick granite plates. Another thing is that the way the dwarfs molded the metal is identical to there building. Of course it could be alloyed by heating till magma and the adding bits of iron and orichalum. Many dwarven sites are above ground, so it could make sense there to be random ore mines. I would like feed back, and If you think my theories and reasons are BS than tell me the flaws and I can attempt to prove them true. - Dwemer fan 101

        Loading editor
    • I think that dwemer metal is simply alloy of gold 99% and titanium 1% hard and durable. 

        Loading editor
    • 75.169.196.243 wrote: I find all of this arguing very funny. All of you are constantly bickering and trying to prove your point over everyone else's when none of it really matters. Cracks me up every time. It's a fictional game, people. Lighten up! Instead of saying it "is" this or that, a better term would be that it "may be" this or that. The only people who can say for sure what dwarven metal "is" in context with Skyrim are the people who came up with it: The people who came up with Skyrim in the first place.

      That being said, I would like to share my own theory of the origin of Dwarven metal. What if it's actually an alloy of Steel and Orichalcum? Which is completely backwards in Skyrim because Dwarven items are placed on a lower grade then Orcish! :)

      But, if you think about it, it kinda makes sense in a round-about way. In real life, Orichalcum is an unknown metal known as "Mountain Copper" that likely looks similar to gold in color. The name alone makes me think of Dwarves. The Dwemer obviously have mastered steam power which can be used in any number of industrial processes, including smelting. They are also known for using Tonal Architecture, which is basically just frequency vibrations of sound or energy. Lots of their technology used this stuff, so one could hypothesize that their metalergy techniques used this to create Dwarven metal. Applying a frequency vibration or "tone" to metal during the smelting process can do funny things to it. Because this is Skyrim and magic is a real thing, then applying a "tone" of energy or "magic" to the metal during smelting could be a possible explanation for the origin of Dwarven metal. This is a proccess I like to nickname as "Tonal Forging".

      So why Orichalcum and not something else? Well, Dwarven arms and armor are listed as heavy items. Moonstone, Malachite, and Quicksilver are all ores used for light arms and armor, as opposed to heavy ones. Ebony, Daedric, and Dragonbone are all higher grade stuff apparently, so those can be reasonably be ruled out. The only remaining ores are Orichalcum, Corundum, and Iron. In the Skyrim game, Orcish metal is made by combining Orichalcum and Iron. The end result is the hard, heavy, and slightly green tinted metal we all know. But why is it green? Going back to the name, Orichalcum is known as "Mountain Copper". Copper. What happens when copper rusts? It turns green! So, taking a leap of logic, Orcish metal is made from an unpurified alloy of Orichalcum and Iron.

      Now how did I decide that Dwarven metal was made from Orichalcum and Steel? In both real life and in Skyrim, Steel is not a naturally occuring metal. Real life Steel, or Iron Alloy, is made from a mixture of mostly Iron and Carbon. Skyrim Steel is made by combining Iron and Corundum. Made using either the real or fictional way, this implies that Steel is a purified or refined form of Iron alloy. Dwarven metal cannot be found anywhere in Skyrim in its natural state. Taking another leap of logic, this implies that Dwarven metal is not a naturally occuring metal. Isn't there another metal just like that? Steel! Taking into account that we have ruled out every other metal except Orichalcum, Steel, and Iron, and with Steel being an artificial alloy, the remaining answer is that Dwarven metal could be an alloy of Orichalcum, Corundum, and Iron. One that has been purified and refined through Tonal Forging, using the same methods as forging Steel, to create a copper colored metal alloy that doesn't dull or rust! This sounds a lot like Stainless Steel to me, which has the similar properties of not rusting.

      The exact recipie and method of creating Dwarven metal, even with my theory, is meaningless because this is fiction and has no value in real life. But if I was going to guess, I would think that the Dwemer would start by smelting Iron down to a molten state, and then slowly mixing in quantities of molten Corundum and Orichalcum while using Tonal Forging as needed to purify and refine the mixture. Once the desired state has been reached, they shape the liquid metal into whatever form they need with molds and allow it to cool. Tonal Forging may also be used during the cooling proccess, but this is unknown.

      Overall, I think that this is a highly logical and plausible method of creating Dwarven metal in Skyrim. Of course, this is all fiction anyway, so who cares? :)

      I'm fine with this

        Loading editor
    • Whatever the Dwemer metal is, it has to be made from something very plentiful because there is so much of it; almost everything in dwarven ruins is either made of stone or the metal. indeed, of all the smithing materials in Skyrim it is the easiest to obtain large amounts of because of the huge quantity of scraps. The metal may be an alloy of iron, which is plentiful and possibly moonstone because it has a golden color like elven weapons and armor. Also the Dwemer are related to the Elves and moonstone ore can be sometimes be found in their robots.

      Another possibility is that it is a pure metal whose ore occurs in massive veins which the dwarves would excavate. They would then build their cities in the resulting cavities using the metal smelted from the ore they dug. In doing this they mined all of the easily found ore of this metal or only they had the technology needed to process or perhaps even identify the ore.

      If the dwarven metal is made from condensed souls, that might explain the complete absence of of smithing equipment in Dwemer ruins

        Loading editor
    • I think only Hermaeus Mora knows what it's made of at this point, with the Dwemer gone to wherever they ended up. Probably not a good idea to ask him for the recipe either.

        Loading editor
    • I would say that the Dwemer Metal is most likely Aluminium Bronze, because on the wikipedia page for Aluminium Bronze, there is a set of hangings, or doors, that the developers clearly drew inspiration from in their development in the Dwemer doors and cities.

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message