|Throat of the World (Location)|
|Location||Accessed via the courtyard of High Hrothgar|
|Quests||The Throat of the World|
Meditations On The Words Of Power
Repairing the Phial
Throat of the World (Location) is a unique landmark located in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Serving as the highest mountain in Tamriel, the Nords believe that men were formed here when the sky breathed onto the land. Hence, the Song of Return refers not only to Ysgramor's return to Tamriel after the destruction of Saarthal, but to the Nords' return to what they believe was their original homeland.
Pilgrims travel from across Skyrim to climb the Seven Thousand Steps to High Hrothgar, where the ancient Greybeards dwell in absolute silence in their quest to become ever more attuned to the voice of the sky.
Role in history
|Spoiler warning: Plot or ending details follow.|
The peak of the mountain was the site of the First Dragon war -- Alduin's Dragon Army against the Ancient Nordic Heroes -- and the Second Dragon war the Dovahkiin and Paarthurnax against Alduin himself).
Elder Scrolls and the time wound
A Time wound formed at The Throat of the World when Felldir the Old used an Elder Scroll to banish Alduin into the future, which became known as the Dragon Crisis. The Dragonborn of the Fourth Era traveled to the Throat of the World to ask Paarthurnax for a means by which to defeat Alduin. This led the Dragonborn to obtain an Elder Scroll from an ancient Dwemer Ruin -- Alftand -- and read it upon the mountain. There, the Dragonborn saw a glimpse of the battle between Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, Hakon One-Eye, Felldir the Old and Alduin. This allowed the Dragonborn to learn Dragonrend, the shout temporarily removes a dragon's ability to fly. Subsequently, Alduin was drawn to the sight. Together with Paarturnax, the Dragonborn bested Alduin in battle. The black dragon fled to Skuldafn and opened a portal to Sovngarde, afterlife of the Nords.
|Spoilers end here|
Climbing the mountain
Most of the enemies who reside on the path to the mountain are wolves. But due to the strength of some Frost Trolls, Bears, Sabre Cats, and Ice Wraiths, which may dwell on the stairs of the mountain, it is inadvisable to travel there before Level 10. Additionally, riding horses or sprinting up the mountain may seem quicker, but can be dangerous due to the path's proximity to dangerously high cliffs. Horses will also be attacked by the foes found on the mountain.
Etched tabletsThere are ten Etched Tablets along the trail telling of the founding of High Hrothgar. Reading them all will give you Voice of the Sky effect.
- Emblem I - Before the birth of men, the Dragons ruled all Mundus; Their word was the Voice, and they spoke only for True Needs; For the Voice could blot out the sky and flood the land
- Emblem II - Men were born and spread over the face of Mundus; The Dragons presided over the crawling masses; Men were weak then, and had no Voice
- Emblem III - The fledgling spirits of Men were strong in Old Times; Unafraid to war with Dragons and their Voices; But the Dragons only shouted them down and broke their hearts
- Emblem IV - Kyne called on Paarthurnax, who pitied Man; Together they taught Men to use the Voice; Then Dragon War raged, Dragon against Tongue
- Emblem V - Man prevailed, shouting Alduin out of the world; Proving for all that their Voice too was strong; Although their sacrifices were many-fold
- Emblem VI - With roaring Tongues, the Sky-Children conquer; Founding the First Empire with Sword and Voice; Whilst the Dragons withdrew from this World
- Emblem VII - The Tongues at Red Mountain went away humbled; Jurgen Windcaller began His Seven Year Meditation; To understand how Strong Voices could fail
- Emblem VIII - Jurgen Windcaller chose silence and returned; The 17 disputants could not shout Him down; Jurgen the Calm built His home on the Throat of the World
- Emblem IX - For years all silent, the Greybeards spoke one name; Tiber Septim, stripling then, was summoned to Hrothgar; They blessed and named him Dovahkiin
- Emblem X - The Voice is worship; Follow the Inner path; Speak only in True Need
At the very peak of the mountain there are two Ebony Ore deposits and two Malachite Ore deposits. Somewhere around the sides of the mountain, just before the peak, there's also one Silver Ore deposit. There is a Notched Pickaxe embedded in the rock close to where the Ebony Ore deposit is.
- The Way of the Voice
- The Throat of the World
- The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
- Elder Knowledge
- Alduin's Bane
- Repairing the Phial
- Dragon that can spawn randomly on the trail.
- Ice Wraiths
- Bears (depending on your character's level)
- Sabre Cats (depending on your character's level)
- With extreme effort, the throat of the world can be climbed all the way to the top without using the Clear Skies shout. Doing so involves avoiding the strong air currents, by running up against the mountain edge and jumping constantly, trying to constantly reach a higher plateau.
- The above method makes it possible to reach the top of the mountain from the start of the game. Paarthurnax however will not be present if the quest to meet him has not yet been given. Once the quest is started, Paarthurnax will appear as normal.
- This may be inspired by a real life parallel - a Buddhist and Hindu pilgrimage undertaken under the mountain of Sri Pada in Sri Lanka, up thousands of steps.
- In an interview, Todd Howard jokingly mentioned that he would count all the steps leading up to High Hrothgar to make sure it's 7,000 - but it's not known if he's done so since release.
- Odahviing can be seen circling the peak, during the Dragonborn's vision.
- A Skeletal Dragon can be found, buried in snow, on the left side of the mountain, off the main path.