| Base Value:|
|Type: Miscellaneous Item|
Torches can be purchased, pickpocketed, looted from dead bodies, found in containers (rarely), or removed from walls. Only torches with brown handles can be removed from a wall - those with black handles cannot be taken. They are most commonly found in caves, grottoes, and mines populated with people (bandits, mages/witches, Forsworn, etc.), but can occasionally be found in other locations.
Locations where torches can be found: (note that the list is incomplete)
- East Empire Company Warehouse
- Brinewater Grotto
- Broken Oar Grotto
- Ravenscar Hollow
- Darkfall Cave
- Gloombound Mine
- The Midden
- Knifepoint Mine
- Pinewatch Bandit's Sanctuary
- Embershard Mine
- Kolskeggr Mine
- Broken Helm Hollow
- Dragonsreach Dungeon (in the catacombs accessible via the jail or the guard barracks - respawn immediately on exit/enter)
- If bashing whilst blocking, enemies will catch fire, much like a fire enchantment on a weapon. This will increase the Block skill.
- Torches cannot be sold to any merchants, regardless of merchant type or perks.
- Torches cannot be zoomed into or rotated like other objects, in order to be looked at more closely.
- If dropped into a stream or other body of water, a lit torch's flame will not be extinguished.
- Unequipping a torch once in a while will prevent it from going out, so it can be used continuously.
- Removing a torch from its sconce can help darken an area to prevent detection if enemies are nearby; however, care must be taken to not be exposed while doing so.
- While sneaking and blocking with a torch, the Dragonborn will move significantly faster.
- There is a very rare variant that has zero weight and zero value.
- Dropped torches will not be lit, but will be lit upon returning to the area, permanently emitting light on their surroundings. Torches can therefore be used to light a house, but while purchased lighting sources have predetermined locations, torches can be placed anywhere, allowing control over the brightness, direction of light, and mood set in previously dark areas.
- Torches can be given to followers, who will then use them to lighten dark areas, or during a rain or blizzard.
- While torches held by the player will go out after a while, torches given to followers will never go out, thus giving an infinite source of light.
This section contains bugs related to Torch (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Warmaiden's and dropping all of them, the torches were seen to hover in midair. Once bumped, they will fall to the floor. While floating, the torches also seem to glow much brighter than usual. Upon pickpocketing six guards' torches, then going into
- It's possible for torches to multiply while in inventory after several days.
- Torches can also duplicate when dropping multiples. For example, if the Dragonborn has 20 torches and drops 18, after picking all of the torches up, there will now be 21 in inventory.