Transmute Mineral Ore, commonly shortened Transmute, is an adept-level alteration spell in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Casting it converts one piece of unrefined iron ore in the inventory to silver ore, or silver ore to gold ore at the base cost of 88 magicka.
Magicka costs vary depending on the alteration skill level of the caster, as well as the amount of magicka points that the Dragonborn has. Equipping enchanted apparel or drinking fortify alteration potions can decrease the amount needed.
- Transmute cannot be overcharged, and will only transmute ore. The spell makes silver ore into gold ore first, and then iron ore to silver ore if there is no silver ore in the Dragonborn's inventory.
- It is used to generate expensive metals from inexpensive ones, thus giving the player a substantial amount of gold if they sell the ores.
- This has the benefit of boosting the alteration, smithing, enchanting and speech skills, whilst making a profit. Two iron ore (4 ) → two gold ore (100 ) → one gold ingot (100 ) → two gold rings (150 ) + enchantments.
- Transmuting iron ore to silver ore, but not gold, may be preferable due to the higher availability of gems used in silver jewelry. This requires emptying the inventory of silver ore between each cast.
- Silver ingots are forgeable at a smelter by casting Transmute with both hands simultaneously (see Bugs below). This transforms two iron ore into silver ore, which can then be smelted into a silver ingot at the smelter.
- Stolen ore, once transmuted, will lose its stolen tag, and thus can be sold without issue.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 200
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Find in Skyrim
- This spell may be a reference to the common representation of magic users in folklore as items capable of turning objects into gold such as the philosopher's stone.
This section contains bugs related to Transmute Mineral Ore. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Dual-casting this spell may result in only a single transmuting. If this is the case try staggering the casts by about a quarter to a third of a second, just enough so the sound effects are not merged. Depending on reflexes and consistency, the result may be a few gold and a few silver ingots, so to ensure reliability transmute silver ores and drop them, although this takes longer.
- Sometimes casting this spell will not turn iron ore into silver ore. Instead, it will only remove an iron ore from inventory.
|Candlelight • Detect Dead • Detect Life • Dragonhide • Ebonyflesh • Equilibrium • Magelight • Mass Paralysis • Midden Torch • Oakflesh |
Paralyze • Ironflesh • Stoneflesh • Telekinesis • Transmute Mineral Ore • Waterbreathing
|Ash Shell • Ash Rune|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Alteration Ritual Spell • Mage Armor • Magicka • Perks • Magic • College of Winterhold • Alteration trainers|