|Type||Thieves Guild, Main quest|
Listen to KarliahEdit
- Journal Entry: Before intercepting Mercer Frey, Karliah wishes to speak to both Brynjolf and myself.
Meet up with Brynjolf and Karliah in the center of the Ragged Flagon - Cistern. A discussion ensues about executing Mercer for his betrayal to the Guild. However, Karliah warns the Dragonborn that, as Mercer was a Nightingale he is very dangerous. Karliah wants to prepare the Dragonborn to slay Mercer and suggests meeting her at a standing stone just outside the Southwest gate of Riften.
Meet Karliah at the Standing StoneEdit
- Journal Entry: Karliah has indicated Brynjolf and I are to meet her at an old standing stone just outside the Southwest Gate of Riften. Her motivations for doing so are mysterious, but I suspect it has something to do with the Nightingales.
After proceeding to the standing stone, and discovering that it is the secret headquarters of the Nightingales, Karliah explains that the three will need all the help they can get to kill Mercer.
As the Dragonborn makes their way into Nightingale hall with Brynjolf and Karliah, they begin discussing the Nightingales and the myth behind them. Brynjolf believes that the Nightingales are a religious group, but Karliah explains that it is all about business. Once arriving at the hall, Karliah requests that the Dragonborn go and don the new Nightingale armor to begin the ceremony.
Activate the Armor StoneEdit
- Journal Entry: Karliah has informed Brynjolf and I that we're to join the ranks of the Nightingales and assist in reforming the trinity that was disrupted over twenty-five years ago when Mercer Frey murdered Gallus.
Once making it across the wooden bridge and into a room, there will be a stone off to the left with the Nightingale symbol on it. Upon activating it, a full set of Nightingale Armor is added to the Dragonborn's inventory.
Equip the Nightingale ArmorEdit
Once the armor is equipped, the ceremony can begin.
Karliah tells the Dragonborn of some tests that need to be completed in order to become a Nightingale, while Brynjolf displays negative feelings towards this. Karliah explains that the only way to defeat Mercer Frey is to have Nocturnal on their side. Karliah explains that in order to use the Nightingale abilities whenever possible, the test must be completed for a guardian of the Twilight Sepulcher serves both in life and death. Karliah asks if the Dragonborn is ready for the test and once conceding, the test can begin.
- Note: Unlike other quests, the option of saying no does not appear at what should be a point of no return. At this stage of the quest, the only dialogue option there will be is to either say "yes" or drop the conversation. However, this effectively stalls the entire quest line.
Stand on the Vacant Floor GlyphEdit
Karliah opens a gate into a room with 3 glyphs. All 3 characters take their place on one of the glyphs and Karliah calls upon Nocturnal who then appears. Karliah offers Brynjolf and the Dragonborn to take the oath to serve Nocturnal in order to gain the strength to take down Mercer Frey. Nocturnal accepts the offer and the three characters become the new Nightingales.
Speak to KarliahEdit
Now that the Dragonborn is a Nightingale, Karliah reveals the true crime of Mercer. Mercer has stolen a Skeleton Key from the Twilight Sepulcher which not only unlocks physical locks but also the ability to tap into the potential that everyone possesses. This is the reason that the Thieves' Guild is down on its luck and if the key is not returned then its luck would go down to the point of non-existence. Returning the key would mean that Nocturnal would align itself with the Guild once again and luck would be restored.
Speak to BrynjolfEdit
- Journal Entry: I've undertaken the Oath and I'm now a Nightingale, guardian of the Twilight Sepulcher and a dedicated sentinel of the goddess, Nocturnal.
Brynjolf then realizes that, because the Guild is leaderless, the Dragonborn will need to take over as leader of the Thieves Guild after Mercer has been dealt with. He then mentions that they should head to Irkngthand where Mercer is likely to be, stealing the Eyes of the Falmer.
- If the Dragonborn has acquired the Ice Form Shout, after completing the ceremony they can use it to freeze Brynjolf and Karliah and pickpocket them for items with no repercussions. After unfreezing and traveling to Irkngthand the quests will continue as though nothing had happened.
- It is possible to take off the Nightingale Armor once making it to the room where Nocturnal comes. There, one can wear any armor without stopping the progress in the quest.
- If Serana is a follower, she may constantly interact with the pull chain, but the gate will not open.
Karliah may not be waiting for you at the stone at the beginning of the quest. This may happen if you come across the nightingale stone before this quest.
- Solution: use the console command at the quest marker "player.placeatme 0001B07F."
- Both Karliah and Brynjolf may not be waiting at the stone at the beginning of the quest. This may happen regardless of whether you found the Nightingale stone before. Even when you approach the stone and see both characters standing there, but do not go near enough to trigger the conversation but come back later, they might be gone. Brynjolf can then be found in the Ragged Flagon Cistern while Karliah is in Winterhold's inn's basement. The quest marker is fixed on the Nightingale stone and completing the quest is impossible. It is recommended that you immediately enter the Nightingale Hall with them when you see the characters are there to avoid them disappearing later on.
- Karliah is supposed to open the gate. Instead of doing so, Karliah will walk back to Riften. She is considered 'Busy', and so is Brynjolf when spoken to.
- Solution: push Brynjolf into the room with runes in it.
- Solution: stand closer to the gate while Karliah is speaking and asks the Dragonborn to accept the oath. Standing on the steps and waiting for her to come to the Dragonborn is the simplest way to prevent her from wandering off.
- Solution: use either of the "resetAI" and "setstage TG08A 57" commands. If the "setstage" command is used, the Nocturnal cut-scene will be skipped, and the chamber may not open for later.
- Another solution: go to the chain. Type
prid 00058F1Ain the console, enter, then moveto player, enter. Close console then open the gate. She's there. Then, type
setstage TG08A 52. This stops her from walking away. Furthermore, you don't have to skip the Nocturnal cutscene. She and Brynjolf start walking into the bars instead. Then just disable the bars by opening the console, targeting the bars, and typing
disable. Then, they both walk to their places.
- Karliah can be fixed when she stops to have the final chat, in the chamber with the 8 fires. Stand with your back to the barred ritual chamber and your face pointing to the stones where you get your armor. She will start walking in the good direction, towards the barred door and you MUST save the game at this point. When she reaches the barred door, she will use the chain one time too many and the bars will drop and then raise again. When that happens, simply bump into her so that she opens the door but doesn't close it again. If all is well, she will resume her walk across the ritual room. Note: This requires a bit of precise timing and remember to block her path to the chain until she is pathed towards her destination.
- An easier way to get around Karliah pulling the chain too many times (instead of trying to 'bump into her' at precisely the right time), is to just wait until she has pulled the chain once, and then quickly use Unrelenting Force to blast her into the next room. Once she picks herself up, the rest of the quest will continue normally.
- You can also keep getting Karliah to ask you if you are ready to take the oath, but instead of answering, back out of the conversation and take a few steps backwards. Karliah will take a few steps towards you and ask you again if you are ready. Repeat this until she is just on the bottom of the stairs in the hallway leading to the barred door. Once you do this answer the question and she will continue to walk to the chain and open the gate.
- There is a bug or glitch that causes an Imperial or Stormcloak Courier to appear in Nightingale Hall and run towards the player, and then turn around running towards the exit.
- Karliah may fall through the floor or disappear while walking to the armor stones. Scripted events continue as if she is still present.
- A simple fix to most bugs is to reload from a previous save point until the bugs stop occurring.
- When you reach the room with the armor stones and Karliah has had her discussion with Brynjolf, instead of opening the gate she will just stand there repeating, "It appears you are ready to take the oath."
- Nightingale Hall after the player has had the forced conversation accepting the terms to become a Nightingale, use the console command 'setstage TG08A 52' this will turn Karliah the right way round and she should immediately walk toward the steps and down the path toward the gate. However, she will not open the gate. Alternatively, if Karliah starts to walk toward the entrance in
Karliah might go the wrong way after you say that you want to undergo the oath, and the gate might not open.
- Solution: reload from the last save point.
If your follower is with you on the Altar when you are to take the oath, the process of the oath may freeze. You can still look around, and your follower may wander around you, but Karliah just stands there not speaking with arms raised, with the scene not progressing.
- Solutoin: reload a previous save tell the follower to wait in the room where you get the Nightingale Armor. Then, continue normally.
- Karliah may open the gate twice. Closing the gate and locking them on the other side. To fix this, select there reference id and type in moveto player to bring them to you.