The legendary unicorn is a type of mount that can be found at Harcane Grove, where it is guarded by three Minotaurs of the Grove. To mount the horse, sneak up to it and press the use button. However, the unicorn doesn't like weapons drawn, including fists, and will attack anything in sight once provoked.
Once mounted, however, the unicorn is considered yours and will fast travel with you but it cannot be armored provided you have the horse armor mod. If you get off the unicorn and it starts walking away, it will eventually make its way back to the Grove. You can stop it by remounting it and getting off again. Otherwise, the unicorn acts just like any horse; it will stay there while you wait, rest, or do other things. If you plan on keeping it, don't kill it in battle; it won't respawn in the same area you found it.
- Reflects 20% of damage
- Resist Disease 100%
- Resist Magic 50%
- Resist Normal Weapons 100%
- Resist Paralysis 100%
- Resist Poison 100%
- The unicorn is involved in the Daedric quest, Shrine of Hircine, where you must slay the unicorn and bring its horn as an offering to the Shrine.
- As an alternative to this quest, you can refuse Hircine's commands. Although he shows disapproval, you may keep the Unicorn as a mount. This also closes all possibility for the Savior's Hide.
- If any other creature is attacked near it, the unicorn will attack you. Because it is fast, the best solution is to mount the horse and place it in a remote area where it cannot see you or your attacker. You may return to your enemy if you so choose. Be wary, as the unicorn will still make its way to the Grove as you fight. So they take great responsibility if you plan on keeping one.
- If the unicorn is brought to an area around NPCs (like guards or Blades), they will attack the unicorn. In order to keep the unicorn as a 'steed', then it is advisable to leave it away from guards and other NPCs.
- If replacing the unicorn by mounting any other horse the unicorn will become aggressive.
- Due to the unicorn's plethora of limitations, other horses are often considered to be much better options as mounts.
- The animal is much faster than other horses so if the unicorn attacks it is advised to fight it rather than run away. (It will always catch up no matter what.)
- Typically when you dismount the unicorn it starts to head back towards the grove. But, in very rare cases, the game my glitch, causing the unicorn to reappear when you fast-travel. This glitch has its pros (being always being able to "summon" the unicorn even if it wanders off) and its cons (if you fast-travel to an area where there is someone with a drawn weapon - even if they are friendly to you - such as the guard at the "Strange Door" in Niben Bay - your trusty unicorn will maul them).
|Creatures (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion)|
|Animals||Bear • Boar • Deer • Dog • Horse • Mountain Lion • Mudcrab • Rat • Sheep • Slaughterfish • Unicorn • Wolf|
|Creatures||Goblin • Imp • Land Dreugh • Minotaur • Ogre • Spriggan • Troll • Will-o-the-Wisp|
|Daedra||Clannfear • Daedroth • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Scamp • Spider Daedra • Storm Atronach • Xivilai|
|Undead||Ghost • Lich • Skeleton • Wraith • Zombie|
|Shivering Isles||Baliwog • Elytra • Flesh Atronach • Gatekeeper • Gnarl • Grummite • Hunger • Scalon • Shambles • Skinned Hound|