He is a merchant of books and takes his job very seriously. He initiates the "Hitting the Books" quest when the Dragonborn approaches him, requesting research materials for The Eye of Magnus. The books Urag sells and requests vary over time.
Urag takes his work as the librarian in the Arcanaeum very seriously, he shows this when he says, "I better not see you treating all of these books poorly, are we clear?" Urag will keep an aggressive attitude even after the Dragonborn becomes Arch-Mage. He will however, adopt a more respectful attitude towards them if they give him an Elder Scroll.
and a translated version of that book.
After speaking to Paarthurnax about learning Dragonrend, the Dragonborn needs to recover an Elder Scroll to travel back in time to Alduin's defeat atop the Throat of the World. Urag gro-Shub is able to provide the Dragonborn with two texts on Elder Scrolls, Effects of the Elder Scrolls and Ruminations on the Elder Scrolls, one of which is authored by Septimus Signus. As a former member of the college, Urag knows his whereabouts and directs the Dragonborn to him. If the Dragonborn collects the Elder Scroll at Alftand, it can later be sold to Urag for 2,000 . In Dawnguard, the Dragonborn requires the same Elder Scroll for the quest "Scroll Scouting." If the Dragonborn sold it to Urag, he sells it for 4,000 . Alternatively, he can be persuaded to sell it back for 3,000 . An Arch-Mage Dragonborn can purchase the scroll back for 2,000 , if he is far enough in the story line.
as a reward. Once enough are collected, he sends word to the Orc strongholds so that the Dragonborn can gain entry.
After finding the books at Fellglow Keep, Urag rewards the Dragonborn with six skill books: Racial Phylogeny, Daughter of the Niben, Catalogue of Weapon Enchantments, Response to Bero's Speech, The Black Arts On Trial, and 2920, vol 09 - Hearth Fire.
Urag requires assistance with locating Shalidor's Insights, rare manuscripts scattered across Skyrim.
The Dragonborn needs the scroll once again, and it can be purchased from Urag if it has been sold to him once before.
Urag gro-Shub delivers a lecture on Shalidor and his texts, writings and research and the College's need to recover the ancient research. The lecture is held in the Hall of the Elements, during which most of the members of the College come to listen to his lecture. After he finishes, everyone goes back to their usual schedule.
"You need a book, you talk to me. Otherwise you're going to find yourself in a lot of pain."
- You take your work very seriously. "Of course I do. If I didn't, most of these books would've been burned to ashes or dissolved to nothing before the Third Era. Mages need to be reminded to be careful around research materials."
- This is quite an impressive library. "A mage is only as good as what he knows. I try and make sure as much knowledge is available as possible. We've been keeping this collection since the Second Era. Books have come and gone during that time, but it's mostly intact."
|Show: Fetch Me That Book!|
|In The Arcanaeum:
Is there any College business I can assist with? "If you're feeling adventurous, I'm always looking for someone to procure valuable books from some more... dangerous locations."
After retrieving the book:
Here's that book you were looking for. "Looks like you're still in one piece. And more importantly, so is the book. Thank you."
|Show: Shalidor's Insights|
|In The Arcanaeum:
Are there any special books you're looking for? "As a matter of fact, there are. Have you ever heard of Shalidor? Immensely powerful mage, back in the First Era. Had an understanding of magic few have ever matched. He holed himself up in Labyrinthian, and devoted all of his time to research and study. Wrote more than you would imagine possible. Since then, his writing have been scattered all over Skyrim, but are little use to anyone who can't translate them. I'm one of the few who can. I've heard whispers of more of his work having turned up. If you can track it down, it may prove useful to all of us."
After finding Shalidor's text:
I've found more of Shalidor's work. "Excellent! I'll start translating it. Shouldn't take me more than a day or two."
If approached again:
Have you made any progress translating Shalidor's work? "I only just got my hands on it. I can only work so quickly."
After waiting a day:
Have you made any progress translating Shalidor's work? "It's coming along slowly. I expect there will be results soon."
After waiting two days:
Have you made any progress translating Shalidor's work? "We were able to figure out the last text you brought in. I thought the least I could do is pass the knowledge along."
|Show: Elder Knowledge|
|In The Arcanaeum:
"You are now in the Arcaneum, of which I am in charge. It might as well be my own little plane of Oblivion. Disrupt my Arcaneum, and I will have you torn apart by angry Atronachs. Now, do you require assistance?"
When putting down the books:
"Here you go. Try not to spill anything on them."
After reading Ruminations on the Elder Scrolls:
"Hundreds of years have gone into assembling this collection. It's going to stay pristine, understand?"
- "You are now in the Arcanaeum, of which I am I charge. You might as well call it my own little plane of Oblivion. Disrupt my Arcanaeum, and I will have you torn apart by angry Atronachs. Now, is there anything I can help you with?" - First greeting
- "I better not see you treating any of these books poorly, are we clear?"
- "Please make sure your hands are clean before touching anything, alright?" - Sale dialogue
- "Mages have to be reminded to be careful around research materials."
- "I have some books lying around that weren't worth adding to the collection. You may look through them." - Sale dialogue
- "Assorted books, scrolls. I'm sure you'll find something useful." - Sale dialogue
- "Arch-Mage or not, my rules about books still stand." - After completing the College of Winterhold questline
- "I don't care if you wrote it yourself -- if you want a book from here, you go through me."
- "The Arcaneum is always accepting new volumes. I'll take what I can get."
Urag gro-Shub sells various books, including exceptionally rare ones. Sometimes, he sells books that share the same name as ones needed for "Fetch Me That Book!", though these cannot be turned in for that quest, they may be read without bug occurring, See Below. Some of these books are difficult to locate elsewhere.
- Barring potentially the player character, Urag is one of only two male Orc mages in Skyrim, the other being Bashnag.
- Completing one of the "Fetch Me That Book!" quests will make the Dragonborn Blood-Kin, if they were not already.
- Urag never sleeps, as he never leaves the Arcaneum and there isn't a bed for him to sleep in.
This section contains bugs related to Urag gro-Shub. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
During the quest "Fetch Me That Book!", Urag may not recognize that the Dragonborn is in possession of the book.
- Console Command:
setstage MGR20 20 Solution: Type this in the
- Console Command:
- Books he sends the Dragonborn to collect may not appear if the location is labeled as "cleared" or if the room containing the book requires the death of a boss to open.