He is a merchant of books and takes his job very seriously. He initiates the "Hitting the Books" quest when the Dragonborn approaches him, requesting research materials for The Eye of Magnus. The books Urag sells and requests vary over time.
Urag takes his work as the librarian in the Arcanaeum very seriously, he shows this when he says, "I better not see you treating all of these books poorly, are we clear?" Urag will keep an aggressive attitude even after the Dragonborn becomes Arch-Mage. He will however, adopt a more respectful attitude towards them if they give him an Elder Scroll.
Four ancient tomes written in the Falmer Language are scattered throughout the Forgotten Vale. They can be sold to Urag gro-Shub at the College. For each Unknown Book, he will award 1000 and a translated version of that book.
After speaking to Paarthurnax about learning Dragonrend, the Dragonborn needs to recover an Elder Scroll to travel back in time to Alduin's defeat atop the Throat of the World. Urag gro-Shub is able to provide the Dragonborn with two texts on Elder Scrolls, Effects of the Elder Scrolls and Ruminations on the Elder Scrolls, one of which is authored by Septimus Signus. As a former member of the college, Urag knows his whereabouts and directs the Dragonborn to him. If the Dragonborn collects the Elder Scroll at Alftand, it can later be sold to Urag for 2,000 . In Dawnguard, the Dragonborn requires the same Elder Scroll for the quest "Scroll Scouting." If the Dragonborn sold it to Urag, he sells it for 4,000 . Alternatively, he can be persuaded to sell it back for 3,000 . An Arch-Mage Dragonborn can purchase the scroll back for 2,000 , if he is far enough in the story line.
After joining the College of Winterhold, Urag may send the Dragonborn to collect various rare books. He pays the Dragonborn with as a reward. Once enough are collected, he sends word to the Orc strongholds so that the Dragonborn can gain entry.
After finding the books at Fellglow Keep, Urag rewards the Dragonborn with six skill books: Racial Phylogeny, Daughter of the Niben, Catalogue of Weapon Enchantments, Response to Bero's Speech, The Black Arts On Trial, and 2920, vol 09 - Hearth Fire.
Urag requires assistance with locating Shalidor's Insights, rare manuscripts scattered across Skyrim.
The Dragonborn needs the scroll once again, and it can be purchased from Urag if it has been sold to him once before.
Urag gro-Shub delivers a lecture on Shalidor and his texts, writings and research and the College's need to recover the ancient research. The lecture is held in the Hall of the Elements, during which most of the members of the College come to listen to his lecture. After he finishes, everyone goes back to their usual schedule.
- "Disrupt my Arcaneum, and I will have you torn apart by angry Atronachs. Now, is there anything I can help you with?" - First greeting
- "I better not see you treating any of these books poorly, are we clear?"
- "Please make sure your hands are clean before touching anything, alright?" - Sale dialogue
- "Mages have to be reminded to be careful around research materials."
- "Of course I do. If I didn't, most of these books would have been burnt or dissolved to noting before the end of the Third Era." - When told, "You take your job very seriously."
- "I have some books lying around that weren't worth adding to the collection. You may look through them." - Sale dialogue
Urag gro-Shub sells various books, including exceptionally rare ones. Sometimes, he sells books that share the same name as ones needed for "Fetch Me That Book!", though these cannot be turned in for that quest, they may be read without bug occurring, See Below. Some of these books are difficult to locate elsewhere.
- Barring potentially the player character, Urag is one of only two male Orc mages in Skyrim, the other being Bashnag.
- Completing one of the "Fetch Me That Book!" quests will make the Dragonborn Blood-Kin, if they were not already.
This section contains bugs related to Urag gro-Shub. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
During the quest "Fetch Me That Book!", Urag may not recognize that the Dragonborn is in possession of the book.
- Console Command:
setstage MGR20 20 Solution: Type this in the
- Console Command:
- Books he sends the Dragonborn to collect may not appear if the location is labeled as "cleared" or if the room containing the book requires the death of a boss to open.