Bethesda announced yesterday that the 1.8 update for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is now in beta; at the moment, only Steam users can opt into it. It intends to adress the following issues:
- General memory and stability improvements
- Fixed rare crash when using vampiric grip
- Fixed issue where Arnleif and Sons Trading Company could become permanently locked
- Fixed issue related to duplicate NPCs
- Fixed rare issue where exterior door would not open properly
Bethesda had this to say regarding the patch's eventual release to other platforms:
In addition to Steam, this update will later arrive on both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. As we have new details on Skyrim content development, we’ll let everyone know.
For more information on downloading the Beta Update, follow the link above. Bethesda also warns PC users:
If you opt into the Beta, be sure to back up your saved games or simply be careful not to overwrite your existing saves. If you decide to opt out of the beta program, your old saves will still work with the current release of Skyrim on Steam (v 1.7).