- Vald used to have a close relationship with Vex.
- He previously worked for Maven Black-Briar but, during a job transporting the Quill of Gemination across Lake Honrich, he crashed the boat and lost the quill.
- Since then, he's been in debt to Maven and worked as a guard, watching over Riftweald Manor, owned by Mercer Frey.
- During the quest The Pursuit, the Dragonborn must infiltrate Mercer Frey's house.
- In doing so, Vald will become hostile and must be killed to gain entry.
- However, if the Dragonborn speaks to Vex, she informs the Dragonborn that Vald only cares about money and that erasing his debts with Maven Black-Briar would gain his good side.
- If the Dragonborn speaks to Maven Black-Briar and asks to have his debt erased, then she will ask the Dragonborn to find the lost Quill of Gemination.
- The quill is locked in a strongbox in the wreckage of Vald's ship in Lake Honrich.
- Upon retrieving the quill and returning it to Maven, she will erase Vald's debt.
- Informing Vald that his debt is erased will result in him happily allowing the Dragonborn into Mercer's house before leaving Riften.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Unless otherwise stated, the information above was obtained from in-game play or from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Creation Kit 
- Vlad is a Slavic name meaning "of great power".
- Vald is an Estonian word meaning "parish".
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)