Valtheim Towers are located east of Whiterun. The location consists of two towers connected by a bridge at the top of the first tower leading across the river to the base of the second tower. Seven bandits and a bandit chief can be encountered here.
When passing on the road for the first time, a leveled bandit, such as a Bandit Marauder or a Bandit Highwayman, demands a toll of 200 . If the player passes a Speech check, the amount can be brought down to 50 . Interestingly, passing through on a Horse allows one to avoid paying the toll altogether, since dialogue cannot be initiated while riding a mount.
If the Dragonborn has used Persuasion to pass the toll, and a bounty is put on the Bandit Chief afterwards, it is possible to stealth kill the Bandit Chief without alerting the rest, allowing the Dragonborn to maintain safe travel through the keep without having to engage in combat. It will also mark the location as being cleared. The Dragonborn can also freely take any items spread around the towers.
The treasure chest from Treasure Map II is found near here. (Before one can get the treasure, one must have the map). To find the chest, go to the towers and head east by the side of the river. As the Dragonborn nears the waterfall, there will be a small cut into the path with the chest inside it.
Tips and notesEdit
A chest is rigged to drop a spiked ball in the first tower. Open it, then jump to the left to avoid being hit, or lockpick the trigger mechanism next to the chest to stop the mace from falling.
Be careful when fighting here if the Dragonborn has a horse (even Shadowmere), as when the bandits attack, the horse will, most likely, try to climb the towers and fight the bandits. This may lead to it accidentally falling off and dying.
There are two corundum ore veins along the left of the path outside the second tower, one iron ore vein located just outside the second tower, and, with Hearthfire installed, two clay deposits: one under the bridge on the opposite side of the river, and the second a little upstream on the same side. There is a random leveled bow in the lookout's post of the northern tower.
- The Black Arrow, Book II – Archery skill book in the tower with the alchemy lab next to the bed.
- A leveled enchanted bow, on a table in the highest tower.
- Possible Bounty Quest locations
- Possible location for Amren's Sword
- Possible location for Kharjo's Moon Amulet
- Possible Fetch Me That Book! location
- Possible Retrieval location
- Possible Trouble in Skyrim location
- Possible Rescue Mission location
- When shown as a quest target in the journal, it will be labeled as "Valtheim Keep," implying that the location was once a fort.
- In one of the towers there is a small sectioned off area with a stool, a bucket, and a healing potion. This is likely a restroom for the bandits and Bethesda humorously included the potion for bandits who hurt themselves while using the toilet.
This section contains bugs related to Valtheim Towers. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If the bounty letter has not been acquired from Proventus Avenicci, the Steward of Whiterun, before retrieving Amren's Sword from the Towers, the Bounty quest becomes impossible to complete.
- If one chooses to intimidate the bandit that approaches for the toll, the game will remove 200 from your inventory (as if the player had chosen to pay the toll), despite the dialogue showing that the intimidation attempt was successful. The gold is not added to the Bandit's inventory, so the player cannot recover it by killing him/her.
- If the Dragonborn has completed the quest for Amren's Sword at the towers before receiving The Companions quest "Trouble in Skyrim," returning prior to the bandits respawning will glitch the game and the player will be unable to complete the quest line for the Companions.