Vekel owns and operates the Ragged Flagon, the tavern within the Ratway, the sewer that the Guild uses as a base of operations. In the Official Game Guide, it states that Vekel was once a resident of Honorhall Orphanage, and "continually got into trouble for concocting strange and powerful alcoholic drinks that kept his fellow orphans in a near continual stupor." He eventually ran away and saved enough from his burgeoning pickpocket career to afford the tavern.
Thalmor Justiciar "Where is he/she? The one who was asking about the fugitive in the Ratway?"
Vekel "You're in the wrong place to be asking those kinds of questions, pal. You'd better clear out before someone gets hurt."
Thalmor Justiciar "No. Not yet. Your lack of cooperation has been noted. We'll be back if we require further information. You won't get a second chance."
Vekel "The answer ain't gonna be any different the next time. Arrogant elven bastard."
- Several conversations that take place in The Ragged Flagon state that he is in a relationship with the Redguard fence, Tonilia, although both seem to have different views as to where they want the relationship to go. In a conversation between the two, Vekel states that he wishes she would slow down and live with him. Tonilia's answer is that she is just fine with the way things are. In another conversation between Tonilia and Dirge, it is stated that he believes Tonilia is cheating on Vekel with Brynjolf, though she quickly denies this, telling Dirge to mind his own business.
- During A Cornered Rat, after asking Vekel where Esbern is, Gissur, if spared during Diplomatic Immunity, will get up from a table and find his "contact," a Thalmor agent. The Thalmor will then come into the Flaggon and ask Vekel where the player is. It is possible to overhear this conversation if sneaking and undetected.
- Vekel states that he's heard that Esbern is "crazy" and "for that to stand out down here, he must really be off his nut."
This section contains bugs related to Vekel the Man. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Guildmaster, Vekel will still refer to the Dragonborn as Brynjolf's new protege. After attaining the rank of Guildmaster and asking him what the word is around the Guild, he will say that they have a new Guildmaster, but doesn't acknowledge that it is the Dragonborn. The same also goes for others in the Ragged Flagon, except for Delvin Mallory. Even if the Dragonborn gains the rank of
- After collecting the four journals for Vekel's quest, they will stay in the Dragonborn's inventory and 4 units of weight will be added, but no reward or other items are obtained. The weight is a result of the journals no longer being quest items and thus contributing to the total weight now that they are sellable/disposable.
- It is possible to start the quest without being a member of the Thieves Guild. By entering Yngvild and acquiring all four books, the Dragonborn will be given the miscellaneous objective "Return to Vekel". When the Dragonborn talks to him after returning, he will have all the same dialogue options as if he originally asked for the books to be retrieved.