|Spells/Abilities||Fire Breath |
|Loot||Dragon Bones |
|Soul Size||Dragon Soul|
Summoning Vulthuryol Edit
To find Vulthuryol, access the center building area in Blackreach where there is a large yellow orb above the Blackreach Debate Hall and the Hall of Rumination. The closest entrace/exit in Blackreach to this orb is the Great Lift at Mzinchaleft.
The orb is visible upon entry. Make your way through the Falmer and Falmer Servants, and use Unrelenting Force on the orb. Doing so will make the orb ring and echo throughout the caverns. This will summon Vulthuryol.
If the Dragonborn summons Vulthuryol but does not engage him before leaving Blackreach, he may eventually take up a stationary position on the ground to await developments. Vulthuryol can only be summoned once.
- Unlike other dragons, Vulthuryol will not fly while fighting the Dragonborn, but will crawl on the ground, using Fire Breath.
- Although being an Ancient Dragon in its essence, Vulthuryol has a very low damage output for both shouts and bites and drops standard loot for a dragon, but it is still difficult to defeat if fought by a player lower than level 20.
- He is metallic bronze color with a black and beige pattern on his wings and tail.
- Vulthuryol cannot be tamed using the Bend Will shout.
- Harkon's Sword is quite useful against him and makes him easy for a level ten plus character.
- Vulthuryol could possibly be interpreted as a reference to the dragon Smaug from J.R.R. Tolkein's "The Hobbit," as both are red-scaled dragons that dwell in a ruined dwarven city. Vulthuryol's name bears a similar reference in this regard, as Smaug acted as an overlord and a tyrant over the people of Laketown, hence Vulthuryol's name, "Dark Overlord Fire."