To find Vulthuryol, access the center building area in Blackreach where there is a large yellow orb above the Blackreach Debate Hall and the Hall of Rumination. The closest exit from Blackreach to this orb is the Great Lift at Mzinchaleft.
The orb is visible upon entry. A number of Falmer and Falmer Servants will be hostile and one must thus fight their way through them. After doing so, use Unrelenting Force on the orb. Doing so will make the orb ring and echo throughout the caverns. This will summon Vulthuryol.
If the Dragonborn summons Vulthuryol but does not engage in combat with him before leaving Blackreach, he may eventually take up a stationary position on the ground to await developments. Vulthuryol can only be summoned once.
- Unlike other dragons, Vulthuryol will not fly while fighting the Dragonborn, but will crawl on the ground, using Fire Breath.
- Although being an Ancient Dragon in its essence, Vulthuryol has a very low damage output for both shouts and bites and drops standard loot for a dragon, but he is still difficult to defeat if fought by a Dragonborn lower than level 20.
- Vulthuryol cannot be tamed using the Bend Will shout.
- Harkon's Sword is quite useful against him and makes him easy for a Dragonborn at level ten or higher.
- He is similar to Smaug from Tolkien's Hobbit. Both live in an underground Dwarven city, both are fire dragons and both are evil.
- His name means Dark Overlord Fire in Dragon Language.
- He is one of the few dragons who are alive from the time of the Dragon War. The others being Paarthurnax, Alduin, Odahviing, Durnehviir and Mirmulnir.