|Skill Level||Adept (75)|
|Effect||Breathe underwater for 60 seconds|
Water Breathing is an Alteration spell, as well as an alchemical and enchanting effect in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Additionally, Argonians are able to breathe underwater as a racial ability. Water Breathing is useful in situations that would normally entail a possibility of drowning, such as accessing the submerged entrance to Geirmund's Hall or the various sunken ships. It also allows the Dragonborn unrestricted access to underwater food items such as Clam Meat and ingredients such as Nordic Barnacles and various fish. Additionally, Water Breathing aids in quests with underwater components, such as Locate Reyda's remains.
Water Breathing is an Adept-level Alteration spell. Casting it allows the user to breathe underwater for 60 seconds. It cannot be cast while underwater or swimming. Casting it repeatedly while standing in water is an effective way to level the Alteration skill. Casting Candlelight ten seconds before casting water breathing is good indicator of when you need to surface to avoid drowning.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 340
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Tolfdir at The College of Winterhold and Wylandriah in Mistveil Keep sell this tome upon reaching level 50 Alteration.
- One can be found in main hall of Labyrinthian.
- Main article: Alchemy (Skyrim)
Potions with Water Breathing may be brewed at an alchemy lab. When consumed, they temporarily allow the user to breathe underwater. The strength of the effect is determined by the Alchemy skill of the potion's creator.
The following ingredients contain this effect:
- Main article: Enchanting (Skyrim)
Helmets, amulets, and rings may be enchanted with Water Breathing at an Arcane Enchanter. Apparel enchanted with this effect allows unlimited breathing underwater as long as they remain equipped. The enchantment's effect is not quantified, so it does not vary with the size of the Soul Gem used: i.e., a Petty Soul Gem grants the same effect as a Grand one. The Item ID for this effect is:
Curiously, even when wearing an item enchanted with Water Breathing, the player may still be heard gasping for air upon breaking the water's surface. This also occurs with Argonians, with or without water breathing enchanted apparel equipped.
Enchanted item locations
- The Volsung Mask is the one of the two only items guaranteed to possess this effect. It cannot be disenchanted for the Water Breathing enchantment.
- Solaf in Gray Pine Goods, located in Falkreath very rarely carries a random enchanted necklace it could be one of waterbreathing.
- Alvor in Riverwood may sell the Dragonborn a helmet of waterbreathing.
- Equipment enchanted with Water Breathing may be randomly obtained as dungeon loot or from merchants, albeit extremely rarely. One way to find a piece with the enchantment is to utilize a skeleton at Cradlecrush Rock that always holds a random piece of enchanted headgear. Simply save somewhere far from Cradlecrush Rock, travel to the area, and check the skeleton. Repeat until an item with Water Breathing is found.
- Another skeleton found at the bottom of the lake outside Darkwater Pass has a strong chance of bearing a helmet with the enchantment (along with other items).
- A confirmed location of the enchantment is on a circlet found in the inner Sanctum in the hands of a frozen falmer in the forgotten vale. ( Dawnguard )
| Candlelight • Detect Dead • Detect Life • Dragonhide • Ebonyflesh • Equilibrium • Magelight • Mass Paralysis • Oakflesh |
Paralyze • Ironflesh • Stoneflesh • Telekinesis • Transmute Mineral Ore • Waterbreathing
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Alteration Ritual Spell • Mage Armor • Magicka • Perks • Magic • The College of Winterhold • Alteration trainers|