According to On Lycanthropy, Skyrim is said to be teeming with Werebears, and they are the reason some people use Canis Root. Interestingly, werebears are only found on the island of Solstheim, a former possession of the province of Skyrim. In the past, the Daedric Prince Hircine used the island for hunts using lycanthropes.
They perform in the same manner as werewolves as their attacks are identical. They attack with their claws and teeth, but also possess a lunge attack which knocks the target off their feet. Unlike werewolves, werebears revert to their natural form upon death.
A pack of three werebears can be found at Snowclad Ruins, at which they can be seen in human form wearing ragged trousers before transforming and attacking.
Packs of three werebears can be randomly encountered in the wilds of Solstheim. Transformed werebears may return to their human form after some time.
- They are functionally identical to werewolves, sharing the same animations and audio.
- The werebear first appeared at the Bethesda Game Jam, along with the Vampire Lord.
- They will become trapped in place, but still attempt to run and attack.
- If the Dragonborn waits near a werebear corpse, it may come back to life, albeit resuming its human form.
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)