White River Watch is a cave located east of Whiterun, on the road past the Honningbrew Meadery. It serves as a bandit hideout for the outfit's purpose of robbing travelers to and from the city of Whiterun.
Hajvarr Iron-Hand and his crew of bandits have made this their base of operations and target either travelers or the merchant caravans that journey to Whiterun. Several bandits can be encountered at the entrance, and Ulfr the Blind, Hajvarr's uncle, is standing watch just inside, though Ulfr will not attack the Dragonborn unless provoked.
There is a character outside named Rodulf, though the character is a randomly generated male, and the only indication of his name is a note found on his body.
Two bandits can be overheard discussing their displeasure for Ulfr standing guard, and are plotting to kill both Hajvarr and his uncle shortly. The band is also trying to train a wolf but have doubts of their ability to do so. As the wolf is still feral, it can be released to aid with dispatching the bandits.
Located on a peak that is presumably part of the Throat of the World, the highest point of the cave is White River Overlook. Hajvarr can be found sitting here, where he can view Whiterun and any potential targets that may be traveling on the road.
Hajvarr can be a difficult foe to defeat at a low level Dragonborn, but can be easily killed by using Unrelenting Force on him to throw him off of the edge. However, there are a number of other ways to kill him. At high levels, he will be much more powerful and will use Steel Plate Armor and a leveled two-handed weapon, possibly containing an enchantment. A high-level Dragonborn however, can easily defeat Hajvarr on novice to adept difficulty. He can, however, be a challenge at expert and legendary difficulty.
- May be a location for Kharjo's Moon Amulet.
- Amren's Family Sword may be located here.
- May be a location for Meridia's Beacon.
- The unique Ironhand Gauntlets
- Two rare Fur Helmets
- Around sixteen Imp Stool mushrooms throughout the cave
- Around ten White Cap mushrooms
- There is an iron ore vein just above the cage with the wolf.
- Ulfr the Blind is seated at the entrance to the cave with a book in front of him. The book is called Ulfr's Book and can be "read." The pages are blank as Ulfr is blind.
- If Hajvarr is killed close to the edge, his corpse can fall off the cliff and can only be looted by following it down the cliff.
- One of the first bandits to attack may have a letter addressed to Rodulf. It is clear that Rodulf has done something to the gang as Hajvarr wants him dead.
- Despite claiming that they will attempt to kill Hajvarr and his uncle at dusk, the bandits will never actually do anything about it.
- After clearing the cave out and then returning one month later, there are two more bandits in the cave. These bandits will run towards the entrance as soon as one enters the cave.
- The release to open the wolf cage is a chain pull located on the right wall before going into the short tunnel where the bandits are talking. Opening the door should cause the feral wolf to attack the Bandits.
- The bandits outside the cave do not respawn.
- The locked door (Novice) where the wolf is kept can be shot open with an arrow instead of picking the lock.
- The corpse in the hanging cage can be looted by jumping on to the rock from which the cage hangs, edging out along the wooden beam, and then slowly sliding down the side of the cage. Unless the Become Ethereal shout is available, it is recommended that the game be saved before attempting this, as it is quite a fall to the cavern floor.
- If sneaking and undetected, it is possible to overhear two conversations between the bandits in the cave system, the first in a room near Ulfr's watch:
Bandit 1 "So, you in?"
Bandit 2 "...Yeah. We can't have that rheumy-eyed fool as our watchman, even if he is Hajvarr's uncle. Time we dealt with both of them."
Bandit 1 "We strike tonight at dusk. Be ready."
And the last near the wolf's cage:
Bandit 1 "You think it'll work?"
Bandit 2 "'Course not. Dogs I can train, but a half-starved wolf? Not a chance."
Bandit 1 "Right. Lucky if it doesn't rip our throats out."
This section contains bugs related to White River Watch. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Hajvarr's Journal on him. There is a bug which one might encounter after clearing the area. One can come back later and find another Ironhand Gauntlets and
- It is possible for the feral wolf to get bugged and not attack any of the bandits. At the end of the battle, he will be outside of his cage howling incessantly, whilst remaining in the same place.
- If Hajvarr's corpse does roll off the cliff, the game is playable after climbing down, but all way points on the HUD tell the Dragonborn to go via the back entrance of White River Watch if there are any quests active. Quit and restart the game to correct the issue.