Will-o-the-Wisp are glowing, ghost-like creatures that live throughout Cyrodiil.
During battle, Will-o-the-Wisps become nearly invisible except when attacking. They can be detected by using a detect life spell or by equipping an item that has the ability to detect life, such as the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal. In addition, Will-o-the-Wisps are able to vanish and reappear at will, making them even harder to fight. Will-o-the-Wisps look similar to a cloud of shimmering dust, and are treated as ghosts in combat; only silver weapons, daedric weapons, enchanted weapons, the Honorblade of Chorrol, hand to hand combat (provided that the fighter is at least a journeyman), and magic can harm them.
Will-o-the-Wisps use touch-based absorption spells, making them hard to kill for low-level players, especially when fighting a group of them. The player will need to be able to deal large amounts of damage quickly before the Wisp heals itself. One good option for a low-level player without any of the listed special weapons, is to cast a fire spell directly onto the Will-o-the-Wisps. A good enough strike should be enough to take one down. A tactic to get around their invisibility is to use a water-walking spell or item to lure them onto the water. Once on top of the water, the ripples denoting the locations of the Will-o-the-Wisps should become visible.
Will-o-the-Wisps can be used by players who chose The Atronach as their birthsign as a means of recharging magicka, as Will-o-the-Wisps only have a magical attack, which will be absorbed half the time.
- Wrack – Lesser Power that absorbs 30 points of Health and Magicka on touch.
- Mind Numb – Lesser Power that absorbs 8 points of Health and Magicka for 5 seconds and damages 2. points of Intelligence and Willpower on touch.
- One outside Harlun's Watch
- One appears around midnight near the Shrine of Azura
- One inside Fort Empire
- One inside the Hidden Lake in the Sideways Cave
- Will-o-the-Wisps appear in the 2920 series, where they are described as "strange blue glows," and "a combination of swamp gas and spiritual energy."
- The name is a reference to the "Will-O'-the-Wisp," a creature from European folklore, to which it bears a strong resemblance.
- Similar creatures known as Wisps appear in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and The Elder Scrolls Online.
|Description:||Will-o-the-Wisp Aware Sound|
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls Online
|Creatures (The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion)|
|Animals||Bear • Boar • Deer • Dog • Horse • Mountain Lion • Mudcrab • Rat • Sheep • Slaughterfish • Unicorn • Wolf|
|Creatures||Goblin • Imp • Land Dreugh • Minotaur • Ogre • Spriggan • Troll • Will-o-the-Wisp|
|Daedra||Clannfear • Daedroth • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Scamp • Spider Daedra • Storm Atronach • Xivilai|
|Undead||Ghost • Lich • Skeleton • Wraith • Zombie|
|Shivering Isles||Baliwog • Elytra • Flesh Atronach • Gatekeeper • Gnarl • Grummite • Hunger • Scalon • Shambles • Skinned Hound|