|Wuunferth the Unliving|
Wuunferth resides in the Palace of the Kings in Windhelm. He has a room at the end of the hall on the second floor (first door on the left when entering the Palace of the Kings), which has an Arcane Enchanter and Alchemy Lab. Wuunferth may attend the wedding of a person who invests in him.
It is possible that Wuunferth is the target of a radiant quest for the Companions. Farkas asks the Dragonborn to intimidate a random NPC in Skyrim. It is the Dragonborn's duty to track down the person of interest and "rough them up" by initiating a bare-knuckle fight with them until they yield. Returning to Farkas completes the quest. Killing the target while on the job will result in failure of the quest.
He is framed by Calixto as the "Butcher" of Windhelm during the Dragonborn's investigation into a series of murders most foul, and depending on the Dragonborn's decisions, he may be wrongly imprisoned and if so, will mock his accuser's "detective" skills. Even if his jail cell is unlocked, he remains in the cell and appears oblivious to the fact.
He may also send hired thugs after the culprit if something is stolen from him.
- "Yes, I'm a powerful wizard; no, I won't put on a magic show for you."
- "Whatever you're heard I can do is probably true."
- "If Ulfric needs a favor, he has it. Anyone else better pay well for the service."
- "A strong sword arm wins battles, but a keen mind wins wars."
- During the quest Blood on the Ice, Wuunferth may be confronted with the possibility of being the Butcher. He denies the allegations by mentioning that, as a Mage of the College of Winterhold, Necromancy is not allowed. However, when asked, Phinis Gestor, will specifically mention that Necromancy was in fact never disallowed at the College. He considers the Mages Guild's ban on Necromancy to have been an "archaic policy."
- Wuunferth seems to be unhappy if the Dragonborn sides with Imperial Legion and finishes the quest line. He will have dialogue such as "Leave me alone! Can't an old man have some peace!".
- If an atronach is summoned in his presence he may shout "You're going to get us all killed, you damn fool!".
- The game may fail to load Wuunferth, and any quests that involve him will be unable to be completed.