Ysgramor's Tomb is a tomb found on a frozen island northwest of Winterhold.
The room contains three short alcoves, each leading to a "dead end". Ysgramor's Axe, Wuuthrad, is formed from the shattered remains of the weapon, which are collected in an earlier quest and reforged at the Skyforge by Eorlund Gray-Mane. Placing it in the statue opens up an alcove, granting access to the rest of the tomb. Wuuthrad can then be removed without closing the dungeon's entryway, allowing it to be wielded by the Dragonborn.
There is a Word Wall located above the tomb. To access this, one must leave the tomb through an exit to the left of the statue from the original entrance. Once through, turn right and head up the pathway to the Word Wall. The way to open this doorway is by going to the end of the dungeon to the boss chest and to the right is a door and chain. Activate the pull chain and follow the tunnel until you come to another chain. Activate this pull chain and you will come out by the statue at the beginning. Opposite of where you come out you will see that the on the other side another tunnel has opened. Follow the tunnel and you come to a door to go through and you will be outside. Then follow the stairs up until you see a word wall for Animal Allegiance.
In the Companions quest line, the Dragonborn is required to come here with other members of the Circle and purify the soul of Kodlak Whitemane. They must fight their way through the tomb, defeating the ghosts of past companions as well as some skeevers and frostbite spiders. At the end of the tomb, the Dragonborn will speak with the ghost of Kodlak, who will tell them more of the Companions in the afterlife.
After a short dialogue, the Dragonborn will be asked to throw a witch's head into the fire, thereby releasing Kodlak's wolf spirit. After killing the wolf spirit, Kodlak will thank them and tell them that they are to become the new Harbinger of the Companions. Now they may leave the tomb by exiting through stairs in the far right corner of the room behind where Kodlak was. There will be the usual dungeon completion chest with some rare gear and other objects in it like the Shield of Ysgramor.
Triggered randomly, this quest can be started by talking with Vilkas or Farkas after completing Glory of the Dead. They will either mention their standard radiant quests, or express the desire to be cleansed of lycanthropy like Kodlak, which will initiate the quest. After leading the Companion to the tomb, the Dragonborn must throw another of the Glenmoril Witches' heads to the fire, summoning Vilkas' or Farkas' wolf spirit, depending on which of the brothers is following the Dragonborn. After the spirit is defeated, the Companion will no longer be a werewolf.
This quest has two variants, one for Vilkas, and one for Farkas. Aela does not want to cure her lycanthropy, leaving the last witch's head to the Dragonborn's cleansing.
After completing Glory of the Dead, the Dragonborn can cure their lycanthropy like they did with Kodlak. Putting a witch's head on the fire while no Companion is around will summon the Dragonborn's wolf spirit. After defeating it, the Dragonborn is no longer a werewolf.
- Shield of Ysgramor - found right of Ysgramor's sarcophagus in a chest in the final room of the dungeon.
- Apothecary's Satchel - Right after you kill the Giant Frostbite Spider, on the table with the Embalming Tool.
- A copy of the Two-Handed skill book The Legendary Sancre Tor - On the table next to the large mammoth skull.
- Rare miscellaneous items: Broken Iron Sword Handle and Broken Iron Sword Blade
- Dragon Priest Dagger
- White Cap grows profusely here.
Outside Ysgramor's Tomb, there are several iron ore veins to be mined, as well as one corundum and gold ore vein. The locations are:
- 2 Iron Ore veins on an island north from Ysgramor's Tomb.
- 1 Iron ore vein northeast from this location.
- 1 Iron ore vein directly to the west of the tomb.
- 1 corundum ore vein due north from a Shrine of Talos, northeast from here.
- 1 gold ore vein behind and to the right of the Word Wall.
- There is a Word Wall for the shout Animal Allegiance.
- When doing the Glory of The Dead quest with the Companions, a random Stormcloak Courier may briefly enter the tomb, only to turn around and leave.
- Ysgramor had supposedly had a giant tomb built somewhere under Windhelm for himself, but he did not use it as he wanted to be buried facing the Sea of Ghosts and his homeland of Atmora.
- Despite being the burial place for the Five Hundred Companions, there are only 208 alcoves, mausoleums, and urns in the tomb.